It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brexit, Today is the Vote!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 10:41 AM
link   
So I am sure that there will be quite a few of us following events in Westminster tonight as MPs go to vote on Mays deal, the vote takes place at 19:00 and its likely that we should expect a result at around 21:00. I believe there are to be four amendments followed by the big vote, the "meaningful vote" on Mays Brexit deal.

I think we all know that it's not going to pass, she's not going to get it through and as events unfold it seems more and more likely that MPs in parliament are going to do everything they can in their power to prevent a no-deal Brexit.

In short today is probably the biggest day in Brexit since the 2016 referendum.

My prediction, this is never going to pass, what will happen that I think is just about anyones guess.

What do you think is going to happen.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I've lost the plot a while ago, help me out please?

If they don't accept May's deal and they are against no deal brexit, what other options are on the table that the EU will accept?

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 10:46 AM
link   

She should just give us either a second referendum or general election.

Her deal is dead in the water, has been since it's proposal.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 10:48 AM
link   

What do you think is going to happen.

Increased traffic at the pubs tonight.

Who's got a venmo, and who wants to bet?

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

She should just give us either a second referendum or general election.

I think as things go on a Second referendum grows more likely. I am not making a claim about how I would vote just that its becoming much more likely for some very good reasons I think.

Now as for a second general election, I actually don't think thats a good idea, Corbyn historically as not been a fan of the EU, Labour are just as much of a mess over Brexit then as the Torries.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 10:51 AM
link   
As I did vote for Brexit I should be happy?, yet I beleive the deal will be rejected, I am not sure what the MPs are holding out for the EU will give no preferential treatment to the first (maybe only/maybe first of many) country to leave, there is no deal to be negotiated, what ever we are offered has to be better than no deal, surely, OR will we suffer a punishment Brexit from the self serving MEPs from Junker and his friends, they have punished Greece harshly enough, maybe we are next in line.

Our personal relationships with other countries will not change our opinion of fellow EU states will not change, we have been allies of these countries far longer than we have been part of the EU.

I do not want another referendum to decide anything now, becuase if the result is different and remain win, do we then have to have another vote when the leavers protest and so the circle will continue.

If another referendum is chosen, I will never bother voting again, whats the point, just ask me what result you want and put my X there.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: szino9

If they don't accept May's deal and they are against no deal brexit, what other options are on the table that the EU will accept?

The problem is that they, the British government, have already said no to some possible solutions such as moving towards a Norway style deal. Staying in the common market for example would be a possibility.

The deal is pretty much bad for everyone, nobody likes it other than May. Its opposed by both the ERC and those who want to remain in the EU.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Today the British people get sold down the river.

Our politicians have failed us miserably.....this should be the death knell for the current party political system.
But nothing will change, the status quo must Remain.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 10:56 AM
link   

I think a second referendum is looking more likely now. Unfortunately. I can't see a general election - Labour is about 6 points down on the Tories I believe.

Not going to be a great day for democracy, I fear.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

I think a second referendum is looking more likely now.

how would that one have ANY credibility when the first was not honored?
will you vote until you vote in what the government wants?

+18 more 
posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 10:59 AM
link   
So the British citizenry legally votes to leave the EU...

The politicians say “nah, let’s not do that. Maybe we will hold another vote or another until the people vote the ‘correct’ way”

I would be livid if I was a British voter...
But I’m a Texan so I doubt y’all care...

-Chris

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 10:59 AM
link   

She's made her bed, but it's us that are going to have to lie in it.

I don't rate Corbyn nether and a general election is indeed a point of contention.

Then again anything that gets the Tories out of power has got to be considered a win for the average Joe on the street.

Their type will ride out Brexit no matter its form with relative ease, not so for the rest of us.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 11:00 AM
link   

So if there was a second referendum, what would be the question on it?

If the UK government, God forbid would not like the people's answer/vote on that question either, will there be a 3rd referendum?

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
a reply to: oldcarpy

I think a second referendum is looking more likely now.

how would that one have ANY credibility when the first was not honored?
will you vote until you vote in what the government wants?

I think a sensible discussion about a second referendum is best had without discussion how one would personally vote, to put that aside then look at it.

May's deal is going to fail, a general election wouldn't fix this problem if anything that is an argument to be made that it would only make it worse, No-Deal is the worst possible outcome for the UK and the EU. So the country is at gridlock, thats what's happening tonight, we are seeing the effect of a parliament on all sides that is incapable of implementing the will of the people

We know that that until March 29 we can take steps to change the vote, the EU have said article 50 is reversible and a extension to allow for a second referendum is also possible. Now I also happen to think that referendums are not a good idea but thats besides the point right now it looks like the only sensible way forward, send the people back to the voting booth with a simple option. "Remain" or "No-Deal".

Honestly though I think right now we need to focus on whats happening tonight and take it from there. I think the next couple of days could be very interesting in British politics.

edit on 15-1-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Christosterone

It was not a legally binding vote it was only ever an advisory vote. The UK government have no legal requirement to even acknowledge it.

Actually one of the many criticisms of the first vote.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: szino9

Retract article 50 , it is being spoken about and is the end goal of those supporting a "people's vote"

The only real Brexit is a No deal Brexit but as that has been ruled out by our Lords and Masters the chance of a meaningful Brexit has passed.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Christosterone

One of the major problems is that the vast majority of our elected 'representatives' are out and out Remainers who have an overrated sense of self-importance and passionately believe they know what is best for the unwashed masses.
They truly have no sense or care for the wishes and best interests of the British people.

I would be livid if I was a British voter...
But I’m a Texan so I doubt y’all care...

What makes you think I'm not 'livid'?
What makes you think I'm any different to you?

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

The only real Brexit is a No deal Brexit but as that has been ruled out by our Lords and Masters the chance of a meaningful Brexit has passed.

Yup.

Thats pretty much the situation summed up.

Honestly I think you could go right back to 2015 and say the whole idea of the vote was a foolish idea in the first place. I don't actually personally think referendums are the best idea in the world. I think they serve a purpose, when parliament cannot make a decision then I think its right to take the choice to the people, but the vote for the sake of the vote back in 2015 I think was a bad idea right from the start.

The whole thing is a mess.
edit on 15-1-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Have there been other referendums votes that have not been honored? Is this an often occurring issue?

www.parliament.uk...

Since 1973 there have been eleven referendums held in the UK

is this true?
Have any of these others not been honored?

If it was not a "legally binding" vote then what was the point?

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 11:12 AM
link   

The UK government have no legal requirement to even acknowledge it.

True.

But they have a moral duty to respect the British people's Right to Self-Determination.

If Parliament fails to enact the result of the referendum then we should cease all pretence of being a democracy.

May is obviously going to lose tonight's vote....all that is left is a No Deal.....anything else is a failure to carry out the wishes of the British people.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join