It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brexit, Today is the Vote!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Christosterone
So the British citizenry legally votes to leave the EU...

The politicians say “nah, let’s not do that. Maybe we will hold another vote or another until the people vote the ‘correct’ way”

I would be livid if I was a British voter...
But I’m a Texan so I doubt y’all care...

-Chris

We're not 'citizens', we're 'subjects'. Look it up.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

So I ask on what grounds was the first vote invalid or undemocratic?

Well I could start talking about a man called Robert Mercer or another dude called Arron Banks then we could start talking about Cambridge Analytica, then get into Russia and we could go on all day getting into a very off-topic debate that I think could get a little heated.

I think a second vote is a good idea, you dont, I am happy to agree to disagree for now and see how things play out tonight. A second referendum might never happen.

I honestly think you make some very good arguments against a second vote but I think that there are also some good arguments to justify it also.

Like I say lets just see how this all plays out.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: markojo

originally posted by: Christosterone
So the British citizenry legally votes to leave the EU...

The politicians say “nah, let’s not do that. Maybe we will hold another vote or another until the people vote the ‘correct’ way”

I would be livid if I was a British voter...
But I’m a Texan so I doubt y’all care...

-Chris

We're not 'citizens', we're 'subjects'. Look it up.

Nope nobody in the UK is a subject but nice try at muddying this otherwise civil discussion.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
a reply to: Tortuga

A second referendum, that was always the plan. But she has to look as if she is being dragged kicking and screaming towards it so as to keep up the pretence of democracy.

You know this sums up what I think could happen and it puts me in a very difficult position.

On the one hand I support a second referendum yet on the other hand if we do get one, this isn't how I think anyone would want to get it. I do think that they have a plant to force a second referendum.

What I think would have been better would have been to have said all along that the British people would get their say on what the final deal would have been all along. If they had done that then this debate about a second referendum probably would never have been an issue.

I agree.

Cameron was quite specific about the referendum though.

David Cameron has taken on Brexit campaigners with a warning that a vote to leave the EU would be final and irreversible, not the prelude to a second renegotiation and referendum.

Mr Cameron has become frustrated that some — including Boris Johnson, London mayor — have suggested that people could vote for Brexit in a referendum simply to strengthen Mr Cameron’s hand and to allow him to obtain a better deal.

The prime minister believes the Leave campaign are peddling a false premise in an attempt to minimise the risks in the minds of voters contemplating voting for Brexit.

In a sign that Mr Cameron is gearing up to lead the campaign for Britain to stay in the EU — even before the outcome of his renegotiation — he permitted his aides to brief Sunday newspapers that there would only be one referendum.

A senior aide to the prime minister put out a statement saying it was simply “not credible” to suggest that a majority of the electorate could vote to leave the EU, only for the government and EU to re-enter discussions to try to find a way to keep the UK in.

According to the Observer, the aide was speaking with the full authority of the prime minister.

The aide said: “Some of those advocating ‘leave’ are suggesting that the referendum is just the first half and that if the majority of the UK public voted to leave, then the UK government would have a stronger hand to embark on a second negotiation with the rest of the EU and hold a second referendum.

“The prime minister is clear that is simply not going to happen. From the outset, he has been clear this will be a straightforward in/out choice. Leave means leave.”

He implied that those suggesting such an approach were trying to mislead people into thinking a No vote was not a risk, and accused them of lacking conviction about the merits of their own case.

“Trying to muddy the waters as they are, and suggest that we can have a second chance if we vote to leave, suggests that the Leave campaign lacks confidence in its own case and is worried about the risks. Otherwise, it would unambiguously advocate a clean exit.”

edit on 15-1-2019 by Tortuga because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tortuga

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

A second referendum, that was always the plan. But she has to look as if she is being dragged kicking and screaming towards it so as to keep up the pretence of democracy.

You know this sums up what I think could happen and it puts me in a very difficult position.

On the one hand I support a second referendum yet on the other hand if we do get one, this isn't how I think anyone would want to get it. I do think that they have a plant to force a second referendum.

What I think would have been better would have been to have said all along that the British people would get their say on what the final deal would have been all along. If they had done that then this debate about a second referendum probably would never have been an issue.

I agree.

Cameron was quite specific about the referendum though.

Text

Thats why I say the whole thing was a stupid idea in the first place.

Leaving such a complex issue down to a "leave, remain" vote was frankly dangerous, he was incredibly arrogant around the entire thing.

I think everyone can agree that Brexit is showing that the British political system is broken. quite sad really.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I just stuck on the news and the first thing I hear is Dominic Rabb saying how he is going to vote down the deal that was agreed upon when he was Brexit secretary.

Shambolic.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

In other NEWS today benefits rule changes mean pensioners that have a partner under the age of 65 can no longer claim their pension credit after 15 May.

Slipped that one in there with all this Brexit debacle rather aptly.

edit on 15-1-2019 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

In other NEWS today benefits rule changes mean pensioners that have a partner under the age of 65 can no longer claim their pension credit after 15 May.

Slipped that one in there with all this Brexit debacle rather nicely.

Thats horrible, you got a source I want to read more because I dont quite feel outraged enough tonight about the state of this government

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:13 PM
link   

www.theguardian.com...

www.newstatesman.com...

You have to love these ""people"" they just have our best interests at heart really.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:14 PM
link   

I just stuck on the news and the first thing I hear is Dominic Rabb saying how he is going to vote down the deal that was agreed upon when he was Brexit secretary.

But he was only Brexit secretary in name , No 10 were running the show which is why he resigned , just saw him speaking in the House and totally agree with him.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Slipped that one in there with all this Brexit debacle rather nicely.

They had to claw back the money from the Universal Credit two child rule being scrapped.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

ahhh # it thats it am getting pished tonight!

That is utterly disgusting!

You know they just snuck that one through.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:16 PM
link   
ohhh....whats this about a vote of no confidence now being tabled for a vote tomorrow?

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:18 PM
link   

It's the only card labour can play and will undoubtedly fail. None of these cooks want the face the electorate until they've had a good chance to bribe or brainwash them.

Get the sheep out, ":Four legs bad, two legs better"

edit on 15-1-2019 by Tortuga because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tortuga

It's the only card labour can play and will undoubtedly fail. None of these cooks want the face the electorate until they've had a good change to bribe or brainwash them.

Seems stupid to me.

I honestly do believe that it would be best of Labour just to go all out remain and have Corbyn stand in parliament and issue a motion to pave the path for a second referendum. Just go for it, it might win it might lose but just stop pussy footing about.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Passing the buck is all that shower of bastards know how to do.

If it was not so tragic it would be bloody hilarious.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Passing the buck is all that shower of bastards know how to do.

If it was not so tragic it would be bloody hilarious.

Corbyn cannot unite his party, it's a mess.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Ohhh there he is!

Go on Corbyn just do it!, call for a second referendum!

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:28 PM
link   
It's all rather exciting! Nothing like a bit of shaking the hornets nest

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:28 PM
link   

And by design no less, which is the salient point really.

Plain as the nose on there faces.

A crap show does not even begin to cover the disaster that is Westminster in action.

The majority of the swine should be hanging by the neck from London bridge if truth be told.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join