It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brexit, Today is the Vote!

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

is anyone really pro brexit ?
or better yet is anyone really pro this government ?

yet somehow we are here getting shafted again by the government and the rich will get richer and we will suffer more austerity and be told its for the good of the union!

I mean do any of you truly believe that this will be for the benefit of the people , how will brexit make your life better in any way ?

we are supposed to believe that somehow everything will just work itself out?
edit on 15-1-2019 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

Thats all fine and to some extent I agree with you but its the reality.

in a no-deal all the big money firms that like being based in the UK are going to say "bye-bye"....

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 05:14 PM
link   
well brexit is happening , at least we have our health

slainte' mhath!

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82

or better yet is anyone really pro this government ?

yet somehow we are here getting shafted again by the government and the rich will get richer and we will suffer more austerity and be told its for the good of the union!

I mean do any of you truly believe that this will be for the benefit of the people , how will brexit make your life better in any way ?

we are supposed to believe that somehow everything will just work itself out?

Right pall this is exactly the kind O' patter thats got you banned fae the feast.

am gonna stop drinking now.

night night.
edit on 15-1-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I knew I should have just toasted to our health !

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Arrêter de corriger somethingo: ipsedixit

This leads us down the long winding road to a "No Deal Brexit" on March 29th, which is unacceptable to the majority of MPs.

A train wreck in 5g, 3d.. all around sound and high definition
Smelly pass-around-scratch-cards too
only if you're payin' !!

And that's the problem
May surives - the deadlock continues
GE - Corbyn or May win: bis repetita

Unless there is a viable, coalition group of break-a-way MP's
that can create a cohesive "'Stay' Platform the UK will stay on gridlock

Actually, I think May, was reaching out in her speech
ok, vote me out, but let's try to salvage something between us
can you lot construct anything better to say to Junkcker and Fist ?

Which is honorable, even noble, i'll give her her dues for that

However, this only takes in to account of the brexiter wishes
at least as a .. face saving move for her and the Tories
base playing

And the non brexiters.... ?

Would it be above belief to imagine that May
has been lumped with a thing, that she doesn't profoundly agree with ?
But has to go through... the 'moves'
Thank you David 'arsehoole' Camaron

I can't keep up with the updates ...the Madness 8_o

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Christosterone
So the British citizenry legally votes to leave the EU...

The politicians say “nah, let’s not do that. Maybe we will hold another vote or another until the people vote the ‘correct’ way”

I would be livid if I was a British voter...
But I’m a Texan so I doubt y’all care...

-Chris

Mate, seen it happens to the Irish, only it was called the Lisbon treaty.
Ireland voted 'No.'
EU said...."Na, wrong answer. Try again."
Second vote, Ireland voted 'Yes!'.
Go figure.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cassi3l
Arrêter de corriger somethingo: ipsedixit

This leads us down the long winding road to a "No Deal Brexit" on March 29th, which is unacceptable to the majority of MPs.

Would it be above belief to imagine that May
has been lumped with a thing, that she doesn't profoundly agree with ?
But has to go through... the 'moves'
Thank you David 'arsehoole' Camaron

No it wouldn't be hard to believe at all. That is exactly what happened. May was a remainer. It's why she tried to usurp the People's Vote by conspiring with Brussels to manufacture a fake Brexit.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lucius Driftwood

originally posted by: Christosterone
So the British citizenry legally votes to leave the EU...

The politicians say “nah, let’s not do that. Maybe we will hold another vote or another until the people vote the ‘correct’ way”

I would be livid if I was a British voter...
But I’m a Texan so I doubt y’all care...

-Chris

Mate, seen it happens to the Irish, only it was called the Lisbon treaty.
Ireland voted 'No.'
EU said...."Na, wrong answer. Try again."
Second vote, Ireland voted 'Yes!'.
Go figure.

Rinse, repeat. I doubt the Irish actually did vote 'yes' the second time... more like no chances were taken with the second vote.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 05:48 PM
link   
OtherSideOfTheCoin

It was not a legally binding vote it was only ever an advisory vote.

Technically you are right, but no government has ever gone against any referendum result, the issues upon which referendums occur are too important, and it allows the people to deliver a mandate to the referendum question.

A second referendum would simply be an insult to the democratic process, and holding a second referendum on the same issue makes everything redundant. No rational intelligent mind would accept such a laughable course of illogical action, it is not how democracy works, and if you want to make it work like that...well then, call it something other, because it wouldn't be fit to be called democratic.

Clearly, self-serving interests have made a mockery out of the will of the British people's democratic process. The only recourse the people have left is either a 'hard' Brexit or a general election, or as a last resort, an anarchical civil war, but never a second referendum, because that question has already been answered. I don't care now which of the three options left we take, Parliament has betrayed the British public, leave and remain alike, and have shown that our current crop of mps are not fit for purpose, especially while they put their own interest above that of the British people.

Surely, you do not actually believe that the British people are going to hand their country over to the EU? If you are British, you cannot possibly accept that!
edit on 15/1/19 by elysiumfire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 05:48 PM
link   
If there is a second referendum the ONLY questions should be 1: Mays deal 2: New deal or 3: No deal, i don't care which, all i care for is the will of the people be carried out. Member's of parliament have failed this country and any member who is blocking Brexit, whose constituents voted leave are a traitor to the British people.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: anonymous1legion
If there is a second referendum the ONLY questions should be 1: Mays deal 2: New deal or 3: No deal, i don't care which, all i care for is the will of the people be carried out. Member's of parliament have failed this country and any member who is blocking Brexit, whose constituents voted leave are a traitor to the British people.

You might make a pretty good leader some day.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
It's why she tried to usurp the People's Vote by conspiring with Brussels to manufacture a fake Brexit.

You can't usurp the People's Vote because it has no constitutional authority.

Theresa May and her government have constitutional authority with the permission of Parliament. Parliament is sovereign and has been for nearly four hundred years. MPs are not our delegates, they are our representatives - we choose them, we do not direct them.

Today is primarily a fight between Parliament and the Government, with Brexit as the battleground but not the cause.

The referendum was a fight between factions in the Tory party, with Brexit as the battleground but not the cause. On one hand, we have Cameron's entitled liberal elite and on the other the kind of carpetbaggers who will shout loudly but provide no solutions, short selling the pound all the while.

We were never really asked what we wanted. We were asked to give the government a vague direction, with no clear end or means to get there, so Cameron could claim the public's blessing. How did that turn out, Dave?

There is no conspiracy. We have a referendum which was never really about Brexit, a prolonged constitutional tussle which is not really about Brexit, and a vicious civil war in the Tory party. It was always going to end in tears.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 05:58 PM
link   

I went out and caught a us a nice Geordie for this years feast, his name is Derick,.....

Never met a true Geordie called 'Derick' - he must have been supplanted here in a government sponsored programme to alter voting patterns in the North East and to dilute the blood.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

Me Miss.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
a reply to: sapien82

Me Miss.

Me two/too

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Satire:

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 06:06 PM
link   
usurp the People's Vote by conspiring with Brussels to manufacture a fake Brexit.
a reply to: UKTruth

Ursurp, no
not unless she passes a Queens Perogative bill
which she could (!) think, or dream, about that...

The UK can't survive leaving the EU on a snap of the fingers
what's for tea, what's there to eat !?!

Brexiters might want to believe it, might desire it....
But "it" can't happen just like that

We don't live in a Mr Ben world
Where things happen 'click' by magic

Borders to the UK will be closed, controled ..
No chunel ...

Go start stockpilling rice 'n' stuff !

And Eurupean defense agreements in all that....?

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: ipsedixit

"Satire:"

More like complete and utter truth.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: anonymous1legion

May's deal has been rejected by Parliament. End of. Dead as Monty Python's parrot.

A new deal is problematic. This deal was the best we could manage in almost two years. Will we be able to get a better deal in the next five?

Which leaves no deal. Given the omnishambles that is Brexit so far, we'll be lucky to get a trade deal with Ruritania. The bigger economies will pick at us like the vultures at Prometheus.

One problem: Parliament is sovereign (remember, it's one of the reasons we voted to Leave) and we elected this Parliament after the referendum. The constitutional position is clear, particularly after the recent rumbles - it's Parliament's call.

If there were to be a second referendum, the three options would be

1. Retract article 50 and stay in. Not as daft as it seems - remember Thatcher's "a strong Britain at the heart of Europe".
2. No deal.
3. Extend the transition and try and get another deal.

We could use proportional representation. We vote for a first and second choice. The option that comes third gets binned, but the second choice from those papers gets transferred to the other two. We then get a real insight into what the country wants.

However, the original sticking point stands - Parliament is sovereign.

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join