It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4 dead, 1 hurt in shooting at Texas toddler’s birthday party

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Clearly, the issue is that many Americans believe the gun to be a solution to a problem, from the smallest slight to raging at society in general. Fact is, the gun is a symptom. A symptom of rage, and a symptom of fear. Get in an argument, no problem, pull out your gun and fire, just in case the other guy has a gun and pulls his first...because you never know? It's why a lot of cops end up shooting people, because they fear for their lives when they have to deal with belligerent people who won't cooperate. Cops don't know how the situation is going to go down, so they have to get in first.

Many gun owners will claim that they don't live in fear, but have a gun simply to deal with 'what if' scenarios. They disavow having any fear, even when what they state goes against logic and rationality, but fear they have, because the 'what if' they have the gun for is the fear. It's a fear that is spread out right across the whole land mass of America, and gun owners are in denial of it.

There is only one solution to the problem, and that is to give up guns, but half of America are too damn scared to do that!

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: elysiumfire
Clearly, the issue is that many Americans believe the gun to be a solution to a problem, from the smallest slight to raging at society in general. Fact is, the gun is a symptom. A symptom of rage, and a symptom of fear. Get in an argument, no problem, pull out your gun and fire, just in case the other guy has a gun and pulls his first...because you never know? It's why a lot of cops end up shooting people, because they fear for their lives when they have to deal with belligerent people who won't cooperate. Cops don't know how the situation is going to go down, so they have to get in first.

Many gun owners will claim that they don't live in fear, but have a gun simply to deal with 'what if' scenarios. They disavow having any fear, even when what they state goes against logic and rationality, but fear they have, because the 'what if' they have the gun for is the fear. It's a fear that is spread out right across the whole land mass of America, and gun owners are in denial of it.

There is only one solution to the problem, and that is to give up guns, but half of America are too damn scared to do that!

And there you have it....let's just crap on that Constitution again shall we> After all, "it's for the children: isn't it?

Fear? I take it you have auto insurance, home owners insurance, medical insurance, life insurance? Are you in fear every day then? No, oh, you need those thing just in case.

See it yet??

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: elysiumfire

If we got rid of guns without changing our current society, the criminal strong will have more power. They will have no fear to break into a home and take what they want, if they have sufficient numbers and strength.

With the threat the home owner possesses something that will even the odds against brute force, even if the homeowner is weak and alone. That will make criminals think twice about break-ins or robbing someone.

I don't see that as fear. I see that as common sense.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

originally posted by: Krakatoa

So, you agree politicians shouldn't be calling for violence to push their incessant need for power. What have you done to address that?

I speak to as many people as I can trying to reveal this agenda....but people do not want to hear it....do you?

i agree they shouldnt be calling for violence

not done a thing to address it except answer when asked.

i speak to people on here.

i dont really like talking to people in real life.

not about that. not about anything really

just my one buddy that eats lunch in my office. i enjoy talking to him.

other than that i just try to stay away from most people.

i dont go to the gym much anymore but when i do we definitely dont talk about anything like current events or politics.

im not an activist.
im just here for opinions and entertainment

I see. So, you are what my dad used to call a "whiner". You whine and moan about a problem but don't care enough to provide a solution. Why don't you go ask you mommy to protect you.

I do not have time for whiners without any thoughts on a solution to the problem they complain about.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

What happened beginning somewhere in the seventies until now?

What has changed in society?

What has changed in schools?

What has changed in communities?

good questions.
i cant really pinpoint it.

i was born in 78 so i came up through highschool in the 90's
i wasnt really paying attention to the world events back then.

i cant say exactly why or how but it sure seems like the internet and social media has a lot to do with it.
and of course the media

there has always been violence. there has always been whatever issue we want to talk about.

lets use the example of a cop killing an innocent person. accidentally or by design. really does not matter for this conversation.

pre like 1995 or so it would have hit the local paper and probably had a run on a cnn or something. then it would have been on to the next cycle.
after 95 or so with the internet and all the million 'news' sites it could spread like wild.

not that the news has always been unbiased but these days it sure does seem to be more about getting viewers and pandering to your base.

i really noticed it during the kavanaugh hearings.
i was watching the testimony live. while i was watching it live i pulled up huffington and i pulled up fox news. both of them ran headlines/stories that were opposite of each other and neither one of them was telling the exact facts.
the were telling the facts but with the spin or twist to fit who their viewers are.

how about this?
a cop kills someone in say san diego and people in #ing bangor maine are all over it.
theyre on the internet talking about it and lets face it. its not usually the facts that get talked about. maybe at first but the stories tend to change.

not people in bangor are pissed about what happened in san diego even though they dont really know the facts.

i may not be putting together what i am trying to say very well but i think the internet and social media and this instant access to information has a lot to do with it.

i think we can all agree that most of the news on both sides carry a spin. this is a problem.

then you have people that get their news from their twitter feeds or facebook feeds.
re tweets of # that is not correct.
then it gets passed on and it turns into an avalanche.

this is a problem

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   
It's all fear! I don't have any insurance, and I certainly don't need it for becoming a gun-victim, for the odds of that here in the UK are extremely low, unless of course, I was stupid enough to travel to London where the foreign mind, alien to English culture pleases itself in how it behaves. It too shares the belief of many Americns that a gun is the solution to any problem, big or small.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Many gun owners will claim that they don't live in fear, but have a gun simply to deal with 'what if' scenarios.

I have a gun because I enjoy shooting, I enjoy hunting, and when I am stressed simply breaking down cleaning and reassembling a gun is relaxing for me a nice simplicity that can help ground me and allow me to refocus.

Yes I also prepare for apocalyptic scenarios and a gun is a very useful tool that can make life easier when you are living in a rough situation, or a more simplistic lifestyle. (IE homesteading)

There are a lot of reasons to have a gun that have nothing to do with fear, and that's not even touching on the constitution.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

if thats how you feel thats fine

im still going to try and discuss it.

im not an activist and never claimed to be

if you are good for you

since you dont have time i look forward to you not posting in the thread anymore.
it will take time away from your activism and outreach anyway

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Man! Do you need to peel back the layers!

That is a statement (no offense) made out of ignorance. Take some time to think on it.

It is number two...not number ten...for a reason. It is a right that has deep significance and value.

ETA: Oops! Nevermind. I see you're from the UK. You are a subject of your country, not a citizen.

edit on 14-10-2018 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 05:37 PM
link   
ClovenSky:

If we got rid of guns without changing our current society...

Getting rid of guns would be the catalyst to changing American society for the better. It will be the time when Americans collaborate together to be come a genuine nation, sharing the same ideals and hopes for an American future. Only fear, which you expressed, is holding America back.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Tell that to all the MS-13 gangbangers Obama let in. Tell that to the thugs that run the inner cities. Tell that to the psychopaths and sociopaths that don't give two flips about "a better society".

Nope! I will keep my Second Amendment, thank you very much.

Those of us that are responsible gun owners don't NEED to change. We already possess the values and strong standards of that goodness in society you speak about.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   
queenofswords:

It is number two...not number ten...for a reason. It is a right that has deep significance and value.

I couldn't care less for the 2nd amendment or any bill of rights. The amendment needs amending, because time has outgrown its usage. People have a greater right to not be shot for the slightest thing. They have a right to not need protecting, but to live in a true civilised society, but to do that, you have to come together in cooperative endeavour, and that is something you are all incapable of doing. You are even scared of each others colour!

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 05:46 PM
link   
queenofswords:

Tell that to all the MS-13 gangbangers Obama let in. Tell that to the thugs that run the inner cities. Tell that to the psychopaths and sociopaths that don't give two flips about "a better society".

Americans all! Never forget that the America you have today, is the America brought about by Americans. You included!

Those of us that are responsible gun owners don't NEED to change.

No such thing as a responsible gun owner. You need to change exactly because you are a gun owner.
edit on 14/10/18 by elysiumfire because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 05:47 PM
link   

I feel like an old record playing over and over again, but what about the UK?

Did getting rid of guns produce a social change for the better and now they are all hugging, singing in unison?

It has been years now, there should be some indication of the reduction of violence, no?

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 05:50 PM
link   

You could ban guns tomorrow and there would not even be a dip in the violent crime, we have a lot of issues and blaming just the tool is short sided and fairly ignorant.

We have had the family unit destroyed, we have a huge socio economic problem, we have allowed gangs that seeped into the country to grow and thrive in the poor areas and pretend to be the father figure many kids don't have in their lives.

Banning the tool does not even begin to address any of the other issues, and once we start removing bits of the bill of rights it would be easy to attack the others.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Irishhaf:

There are a lot of reasons to have a gun that have nothing to do with fear, and that's not even touching on the constitution.

Like I stated earlier, gun owners will claim all sorts of bull# arguments for their defence, it is still comes down to denial.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Irishhaf:

Banning the tool does not even begin to address any of the other issues...

It would be a start, but here's the kicker, the 'tool' won't help you fix your society.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Got it another European that has no understanding what so ever of America and her culture and her people, but you are fired up and eager to tell us what is best for us and cast judgement from your self perceived moral high ground.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 05:56 PM
link   

I'm not trying to be rude. But, you do not have the soul of an American. You cannot understand the deeper levels of what it means to have "the right to keep and bear arms". It is a mystery to you.

In your simple thinking, you think that responsible gun owners should just abolish the 2A and everybody will be nice and there will be no more bad people, and we will all have rainbows in our backyards and unicorns grazing in the fields.

Time has not lessened the value of the 2A, regardless of what YOU, as a foreigner, think. It has grown more valuable to keeping society civil. Otherwise the gangbangers, thugs, and psychopaths would overrun the place.

We...the Second Amendment protectors...are the ones that will always stand for citizenship rather than subjugation.

But, you all keep trying as best you can to make us relinquish that all-important RIGHT.

I wonder why.

edit on 14-10-2018 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: elysiumfire
Irishhaf:

Like I stated earlier, gun owners will claim all sorts of bull# arguments for their defence, it is still comes down to denial.

FYI, I have a solution! The worst 5% of counties contain 47% of the population and account for 68% of murders. Let's ban those counties!

Murders in US very concentrated: 54% of US counties in 2014 had zero murders
2% of counties have 51% of the murders (can you guess where those are).

crimeresearch.org...

In 2014, the most recent year that a county level breakdown is available, 54% of counties (with 11% of the population) have no murders. 69% of counties have no more than one murder, and about 20% of the population. These counties account for only 4% of all murders in the country.

The worst 1% of counties have 19% of the population and 37% of the murders. The worst 5% of counties contain 47% of the population and account for 68% of murders. As shown in figure 2, over half of murders occurred in only 2% of counties.

Conclusion
This study shows how murders in the United States are heavily concentrated in very small areas. Few appreciate how much of the US has no murders each year. Murder isn’t a nationwide problem. It’s a problem in a very small set of urban areas, and any solution must reduce those murders.

edit on 14-10-2018 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join