It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Banksy Artwork Sells for £1 Million then shreds itself

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

this is the part that irks me , if he can make any old #e art and sell it for 2m , then surely he should donate every penny to a charity !

if its that easy to make money , then why is he keeping it ?

just another greedy artist ?

he maybe anti establishment , but he has established himself in the system !
its like he needs that system to thrive !
is happy to benefit from the system he hates

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82

this is the part that irks me , if he can make any old #e art and sell it for 2m , then surely he should donate every penny to a charity !

You know he didn't own it when it went up for the recent auction, right? It was a private seller.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   

I can't argue your point, but then again, I don't know if he has donated to any charities or not. Also, I am wondering how does one handle going from street graffiti artist/criminal to filthy rich fine artist in one fell swoop and stay true to their convictions?
edit on 110CDT12America/Chicago011121231 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

edit on 110CDT12America/Chicago020121231 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

That is pretty cool!! Thanks for the smile for the day!

I just wrote a post about the "mind seeking novelty" which is a pretty good definition of "art."

You and I in a little toy shop
Buy a bag of balloons with the money we've got
Set them free at the break of dawn
Til one by one they were gone...

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

I can't argue your point, but then again, I don't know if he has donated to any charities or not. Also, I am wondering how does one handle going from street graffiti artist/criminal to filthy rich fine artist in one fell swoop and stay true to their convictions?

Well, he does have a fall-back career as a musician, eh?

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

I think their more recent art Attack is even more Massive than their musical career.
edit on 8/10/2018 by RexKramerPRT because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 03:08 PM
link   
The painting is worthless until someone hands over cash for it. As far as we know the Auction house has given Ban..eh. the Buyer the option of whether he/she still wishes to buy it.

Fantastic and funny as hell watching a valuable piece of Art soar in value at the switch of a button. The word Genius springs to mind.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

Or maybe a new career as a quote master/philosopher, eh?

“The thing I hate the most about advertising is that it attracts all the bright, creative and ambitious young people, leaving us mainly with the slow and self-obsessed to become our artists.. Modern art is a disaster area. Never in the field of human history has so much been used by so many to say so little.” ― Banksy

“Once upon a time, there was a king who ruled a great and glorious nation. Favourite amongst his subjects was the court painter of whom he was very proud. Everybody agreed this wizzened old man pianted the greatest pictures in the whole kingdom and the king would spend hours each day gazing at them in wonder. However, one day a dirty and dishevelled stranger presented himself at the court claiming that in fact he was the greatest painter in the land. The indignant king decreed a competition would be held between the two artists, confident it would teach the vagabond an embarrassing lesson. Within a month they were both to produce a masterpiece that would out do the other. After thirty days of working feverishly day and night, both artists were ready. They placed their paintings, each hidden by a cloth, on easels in the great hall of the castle. As a large crowd gathered, the king ordered the cloth be pulled first from the court artist’s easel. Everyone gasped as before them was revealed a wonderful oil painting of a table set with a feast. At its centre was an ornate bowl full of exotic fruits glistening moistly in the dawn light. As the crowd gazed admiringly, a sparrow perched high up on the rafters of the hall swooped down and hungrily tried to snatch one of the grapes from the painted bowl only to hit the canvas and fall down dead with shock at the feet of the king. ’Aha!’ exclaimed the king. ’My artist has produced a painting so wonderful it has fooled nature herself, surely you must agree that he is the greatest painter who ever lived!’ But the vagabond said nothing and stared solemnly at his feet. ’Now, pull the blanket from your painting and let us see what you have for us,’ cried the king. But the tramp remained motionless and said nothing. Growing impatient, the king stepped forward and reached out to grab the blanket only to freeze in horror at the last moment. ’You see,’ said the tramp quietly, ’there is no blanket covering the painting. This is actually just a painting of a cloth covering a painting. And whereas your famous artist is content to fool nature, I’ve made the king of the whole country look like a clueless little twat.” ― Banksy, Wall and Piece

lol
edit on 110CDT08America/Chicago05680831 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 09:58 PM
link   
The other thing I'd love to know is if people can afford to blow 7 figures on a substandard painting, what exactly do the NEA need taxpayer money for?

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

Or maybe a new career as a quote master/philosopher, eh?

“The thing I hate the most about advertising is that it attracts all the bright, creative and ambitious young people, leaving us mainly with the slow and self-obsessed to become our artists.. Modern art is a disaster area. Never in the field of human history has so much been used by so many to say so little.” ― Banksy

“Once upon a time, there was a king who ruled a great and glorious nation. Favourite amongst his subjects was the court painter of whom he was very proud. Everybody agreed this wizzened old man pianted the greatest pictures in the whole kingdom and the king would spend hours each day gazing at them in wonder. However, one day a dirty and dishevelled stranger presented himself at the court claiming that in fact he was the greatest painter in the land. The indignant king decreed a competition would be held between the two artists, confident it would teach the vagabond an embarrassing lesson. Within a month they were both to produce a masterpiece that would out do the other. After thirty days of working feverishly day and night, both artists were ready. They placed their paintings, each hidden by a cloth, on easels in the great hall of the castle. As a large crowd gathered, the king ordered the cloth be pulled first from the court artist’s easel. Everyone gasped as before them was revealed a wonderful oil painting of a table set with a feast. At its centre was an ornate bowl full of exotic fruits glistening moistly in the dawn light. As the crowd gazed admiringly, a sparrow perched high up on the rafters of the hall swooped down and hungrily tried to snatch one of the grapes from the painted bowl only to hit the canvas and fall down dead with shock at the feet of the king. ’Aha!’ exclaimed the king. ’My artist has produced a painting so wonderful it has fooled nature herself, surely you must agree that he is the greatest painter who ever lived!’ But the vagabond said nothing and stared solemnly at his feet. ’Now, pull the blanket from your painting and let us see what you have for us,’ cried the king. But the tramp remained motionless and said nothing. Growing impatient, the king stepped forward and reached out to grab the blanket only to freeze in horror at the last moment. ’You see,’ said the tramp quietly, ’there is no blanket covering the painting. This is actually just a painting of a cloth covering a painting. And whereas your famous artist is content to fool nature, I’ve made the king of the whole country look like a clueless little twat.” ― Banksy, Wall and Piece

lol

Ha...that is a pretty good story.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 03:52 AM
link   
He probably paid for it all anyway , and is using the whole thing as a media stunt, to generate hype , for his next project

ALL EYEZ ON ME!

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 04:18 AM
link   

He probably paid for it all anyway , and is using the whole thing as a media stunt, to generate hype , for his next project

ALL EYEZ ON ME!

Exactly. Shredded Banksy now worth double the last bid. Can't wait to see the encore.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 06:18 AM
link   
rich artists are mental , take Damian Hirst, sold all of his paintings and artwork to fund his next project i think he made like 10 million for one painting , then used that to make his next project

has anyone seen it , its quite mental , he made various sculptures from precious gems , metals and stone and then sank them in the sea for 5 years to accumulate dirt and sea life
then made a documentary about it , as if it were a real life treasure find from antiquity !

Damian Hirst Fake art

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 08:04 AM
link   

rich artists are mental , take Damian Hirst, sold all of his paintings and artwork to fund his next project i think he made like 10 million for one painting , then used that to make his next project

has anyone seen it , its quite mental , he made various sculptures from precious gems , metals and stone and then sank them in the sea for 5 years to accumulate dirt and sea life
then made a documentary about it , as if it were a real life treasure find from antiquity !

Damian Hirst Fake art

I didn't know it was a mokumentary, still, the artwork was quite spectacular.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 08:32 AM
link   

He claimed that the preparations were carried out “a few years ago” and defended the stunt with a quote from Picasso: “The urge to destroy is also a creative urge.”

So now I am thinking that the shredder malfunctioned and the whole art piece was suppose to be shredded which would have rendered the art piece completely shredded on the floor leaving an empty frame. As it stands now being partially shredded art lovers can read many meanings into what remains. Did this backfire on Bansky? lol

uk.news.yahoo.com...

When you look at how society rewards so many of the wrong people, it's hard not to view financial reimbursement as a badge of self-serving mediocrity," Banksy once wrote.

Contempt can be a strong motive for exploration.

edit on 110CDT08America/Chicago03880831 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

edit on 110CDT09America/Chicago00790931 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 09:11 AM
link   

yeh thats it , I thought it was crazy!

what is amazing , is that it takes these artists very little effort to make something that sells for millions to private collectors

surely they could resolve some of the worlds problems by creating lots of mediocre # art to sell to the rich and famous and redistribute some of that wealth

BUT NAWWWWWWWWWWW will they #

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   

what is amazing , is that it takes these artists very little effort to make something that sells for millions to private collectors

surely they could resolve some of the worlds problems by creating lots of mediocre # art to sell to the rich and famous and redistribute some of that wealth

Maybe the world's problems can only be solved by a united effort (all of us) and not just throw money at it?

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Maybe the world's problems can only be solved by a united effort (all of us) and not just throw money at it?

Wish someone would tell that to the VA or our education system.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

Wish someone would tell that to the VA or our education system.

I am sure they/we do, but are they listening or are keeping to their agendae? It's not all about us, you know that.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   

well Yeh I completely agree !

its a concerted effort by everyone, but a lot of us arent pulling their weight
a lot of us need a kick up the arse to remember what the goal is !

" it's not just about you"

but its hard to get people out of their wee bubbles and world views and to look at the bigger picture !
everyone is always just about them and their immediate family and damn everyone else !

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join