It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Banksy Artwork Sells for £1 Million then shreds itself

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 07:15 AM
link   
The iconic picture of the Girl With Balloon artwork was sold at auction by Sotheby's last night for a cool £1.042m but shortly after the hammer fell on the lot the artwork shredded itself leaving the auctioneer to conclude "It appears we just got Banksy-ed"

The prank was followed by an instagram post by Banksy

banksyGoing, going, gone...
www.instagram.com...

According to the auction house talks are ongoing with the buyer as to what to do next but chances are the stunt has increased the value of the picture , that's modern art.

Pure class , Banksy

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I gotta say, I admire the man and his message.

ETA This is one of my favourites.

edit on 6/10/18 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Pure class?

Shredding $1.3 million dollars US ?

Stupid as it gets.

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 07:35 AM
link   
That particular one is beautiful inspiring artwork , and we want to know - who banksy-ed the original from the Stag-gate ?

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

He made a point and probably increased the value of the picture , don't see the stupid in it myself.

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 07:40 AM
link   

His point insulted thousands of struggling artists.

Use to be they had to be dead for centuries before their paintings ever made a dime.

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

His point insulted thousands of struggling artists

How ?
I'm sure many artists would say the shredding was art in itself , it transformed one piece of art into a different piece of art.
Performance art at its best.

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
His point insulted thousands of struggling artists.

How and why?

Use to be they had to be dead for centuries before their paintings ever made a dime.

Not really, although that happened to many of the most famous artists, some got rich during their life and many got rich but not as famous.

Art's commercial worth is only what people want to pay for it, if someone wants to pay a million for some piece of art that's their problem and the artist's gain.

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I think this is a gimmick and there are 2 pictures in that frame. The half shredded bit at the bottom is a different colour from the one in the frame. Who put the picture in that particular frame or did it arrive in it?

And how did the shredding start? Someone must have flicked a switch remotely (phone app maybe). Is there a video of the shredding starting and not just bit hanging out? Was Banksy in the room?

I'm not believing this shredding story just yet.
edit on 6-10-2018 by Moohide because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-10-2018 by Moohide because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Going, going, gone baby gone ... up in price.

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Ummm...that right there...is funny as hell...

The cherry that topped off a perfect morning...

Thank you for that my friend...

Ha...Ha...

Edit to add:...If you think about it...it's an especially apt comment on the present...

Love...just slightly out of reach...and even that being shredded by politics the world round...

Also a comment on how value...true value...has been shredded...

It's genius...I love it...

YouSir
edit on 6-10-2018 by YouSir because: I had a thought...

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 08:22 AM
link   
banksy seems like a cool chick

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 08:27 AM
link   
The only change I would have made to that performance art piece was made the frame transparent.

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Moohide
I think this is a gimmick and there are 2 pictures in that frame. The half shredded bit at the bottom is a different colour from the one in the frame. Who put the picture in that particular frame or did it arrive in it?

And how did the shredding start? Someone must have flicked a switch remotely (phone app maybe). Is there a video of the shredding starting and not just bit hanging out? Was Banksy in the room?

I'm not believing this shredding story just yet.

There's a spotlight pointed at the square region.... so that is why it is brighter...

It would be easy to fit a shredder unit from a bin shredder into a painting frame... but it would be more reusable to have
a LCD screen and a scanner/printer fitted inside a frame. Then you could load in a picture, display it and shred it.

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 08:33 AM
link   
As the intent of most, if not all art is to evoke emotion from it's audience, to me this is a slam dunk.

The mind that came up with this...wow...I want to party with this person!

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: tjack
As the intent of most, if not all art is to evoke emotion from it's audience, to me this is a slam dunk.

The mind that came up with this...wow...I want to party with this person!

Perhaps an artwork shredding party?

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Seems like you're making things up again. Most artists that are currently considered great were financially succesful during their careers.

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Banksy is a street artist, always against the selling of his work. This is a big # you to the art world he loathes. Good job!

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I really think this is a fake story. No video of the shredding painting, no real bidder, no money, just a promo to keep Banksy's name in the news and value and relevance to his works. Thats what i think anyway. The woman laughing in the photo gives it awayfor me while everyone else pretends to be 'shocked'.

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
The iconic picture of the Girl With Balloon artwork was sold at auction by Sotheby's last night for a cool £1.042m but shortly after the hammer fell on the lot the artwork shredded itself leaving the auctioneer to conclude "It appears we just got Banksy-ed"

The prank was followed by an instagram post by Banksy

banksyGoing, going, gone...
www.instagram.com...

According to the auction house talks are ongoing with the buyer as to what to do next but chances are the stunt has increased the value of the picture , that's modern art.

Pure class , Banksy

I have to say...that is very original and what a great idea.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join