It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Banksy Artwork Sells for £1 Million then shreds itself

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance
I just find it hard to believe nobody noticed that.

True, but we don't know the conditions of the auction.

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Found video briefly showing how it was made. Also it apparently sat like this for years, which raises even more questions, in my mind, about the battery and the weight, although it looks like a fairly substantial frame, which I guess could help hide it. This video also shows it being shredded...

edit on 10/6/2018 by AdmireTheDistance because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   
The guy is an artist and a performer, I think it is a really clever idea and functions at many different levels. A thought provoking piece and very post-modern.
edit on 6-10-2018 by MichiganSwampBuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

Yes, it raises some questions, but maybe that's why the painting was only half shredded, maybe the battery didn't have enough power to fully shred the painting, or maybe that was the idea from the start.

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

maybe the battery didn't have enough power to fully shred the painting

Perhaps it was by design , the child is gone but the heart shaped balloon remains ... symbolic ?

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Moohide
I really think this is a fake story. No video of the shredding painting, no real bidder, no money, just a promo to keep Banksy's name in the news and value and relevance to his works. Thats what i think anyway. The woman laughing in the photo gives it awayfor me while everyone else pretends to be 'shocked'.

what are you talking about?
there is a video he put on his instagram of him building the frame and the painting going through the shredder

maybe invest 5 seconds in looking around

www.instagram.com...

video for those that say no video exists
edit on 6-10-2018 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: gortex

His point insulted thousands of struggling artists.

Use to be they had to be dead for centuries before their paintings ever made a dime.

you dont know what youre talking about

just doing your usual uptight bitching

this was a great move

love it

insulting struggling artists??? hahahha in no way did he do that

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Don't be ridiculous

It's almost as if you don't understand art

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   

You have no idea how much I needed this today

my heart -

:-)

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis
a reply to: neo96

Don't be ridiculous

It's almost as if you don't understand art

its exactly like he does not understand art

not for nothing but from what i have seen of his posts it seems like he dont understand much of anything save for what certain people tell him.

just being honest

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: SoulStoner225

Except for the fact that art is one of the best investments a person can make.

posted on Oct, 6 2018 @ 10:12 PM
link   
'sold' way over the estimated selling price,
which tells me that the 'sale' was more than likely
staged too.

His technique is taken from this guy :Blek le Rat
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 7 2018 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Pure class?

Shredding $1.3 million dollars US ?

Stupid as it gets.

Paying that much for that thing is quite a bit more stupid, I'd argue.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 01:15 AM
link   
That was done perfectly. After all he fits under the anti-consumerism moniker.

Latest sources say he activated the shredder by remote and had planned to do so years ago if it had been sold.
edit on 8-10-2018 by dreamingawake because: edit for update

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 06:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
That was done perfectly. After all he fits under the anti-consumerism moniker.

Latest sources say he activated the shredder by remote and had planned to do so years ago if it had been sold.

The clip he put on Instagram showing it shred was from the auction. So banksy was there or he sent someone there to film it.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Im glad banksy did this just highlights the hypocricy of modern art , paying millions for a piece of artwork , only to have it shredded before you , wasting the 1 million, showing that art is temporary as is money and everything
and that people will pay ridiculous sums of money for average art , just because its endorsed by A list celebs and councils all over Britian !

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 07:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

Pure class?

Stupid as it gets.

Aye specially when the art is average at best !

but fair play , getting paid 1 million for a piece of art he made in under an hour !

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82

Im glad banksy did this just highlights the hypocricy of modern art , paying millions for a piece of artwork , only to have it shredded before you , wasting the 1 million, showing that art is temporary as is money and everything
and that people will pay ridiculous sums of money for average art , just because its endorsed by A list celebs and councils all over Britian !

Too true. That's why I have disdain for art. Not all art, I just hate the idea that garbage can be worth millions if it's done by the right person. I saw a show a few years ago where they had one of those painting elephants whip something up. It was literally just a bunch of random brush strokes, it didn't look like anything. They took it to an art museum and asked this woman to appraise it. She supposedly had decades of experience and whatnot. She said she had an idea who the artist might be and if it was who she was thinking of it would be worth 7 figures. Then they told her an elephant did it and she said she wasn't interested anymore.

It's asinine.

originally posted by: sapien82

originally posted by: face23785

Pure class?

Stupid as it gets.

Aye specially when the art is average at best !

but fair play , getting paid 1 million for a piece of art he made in under an hour !

Fair indeed. Capitalism at work. I support his right to sucker idiots out of $1M+.
edit on 8 10 18 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: face23785

it's actually mental isnt it !

same with whits his face Damian Hirst , and Banksy , they can put any piece of #e on a canvas and sell it !

Just to prove my point a very good friend of mine, is pals with modern artists Jim Lambie
and one time he told me him and im were in tokyo for a Stussy clothing shop fabrication, they were painting and decorating the store for opening!

So they go back to the hotel pissed out their skulls and jim had bought a french replica baroque painting frame
very ornate , lots of nice curls and what not , he sprayed it gold, then used a box cutter to cut a rectangle canvas sized piece of carpet out the hotel floor, smashed the hotel bedroom mirror with his shoe , then stuck the carpet to the frame, and then glued the broken mirror onto the carpet
sold it for 60G's to a very famous couple, one spicy the other plays fitbaw

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Bansky is still anti-establishment, it would appear, but maybe his creative urge has evolved into a destructive mode, or is he projecting?

Banksy has now revealed that he placed a shredder inside the frame and uploaded footage of him building it to his Instagram page, and wrote: “The urge to destroy is also a creative urge” — Picasso.

“This is now part of art history in its shredded state and we’d estimate Banksy has added at a minimum 50 per cent to its value, possibly as high as being worth £2m ($A3,719,350) plus.”

www.dailytelegraph.com.au... -auction/news-story/58d17362e0ecc84125741c85ab92e660

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join