It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

German Protesters Call Bush America's Hitler

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 09:32 PM
link   
George Bush's eight-hour visit to Mainz, Germany on Wednesday drew upwards of 12,000 protesters. Carrying signs reading, "Bush Go Home" and "Warmonger," the crowd threatened to outnumber the 13,000-strong police force; measures included frogmen, explosives experts, and a 40-mile radius no-fly-zone. Every aspect of life in Mainz felt the touch of Bush's visit as businesses and schools were closed down for the day.

today.reuters.com
Bush was visiting Germany for the first time since the 2003 Iraq war, which Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder and most Germans opposed.

"I'm disgusted by the war in Iraq Bush started that has cost thousands of civilian lives," said Thomas Odenweller, 49, a computer technician. "Now he's trying to normalize relations with Europe. It must be stopped."

Ignoring snow and freezing temperatures, the demonstrators held banners chastising Bush in English with slogans such as: "You can bomb the world to pieces but not into peace." Many had pre-printed posters reading: "Bush, No. 1 Terrorist."

Before the march, which Mainz police said was one of the largest ever in the city of about 300,000, one speaker told the crowd: "Mr. Bush, please leave our country. You started an illegal war against Iraq."

German police confiscated one poster that read: "We had our Hitler, now you have yours."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

"America's Hitler" Garners Support for Iran Strike

That Bush was upset with German Chancellor Gerhard Schröder over his removal of public support for the US-led Iraq war is a matter of public record. Bush's feeling was that Gerhard Schröder was elected on wave of Anti-American sentiment created for the purpose of establishing an ideological alignment with the largely antiwar German consituency. In other words - the Bush Administration feels that Schröder's opposition to the Iraq war was his ticket into office in 2002.

This adds great significance to Schröder's statements before the Nato and EU summits in Brussels last Tuesday. His firm position that Iran should have no nuclear weapons - even to the point of turning in used nuclear fuel - comes on the heels of assertions by France leader Chirac that Iran has no nuclear aspirations.

What amounts to an endorsement by the polarizing German leader of a pre-emptive strike on an unrepentant Iran marks a significant repositioning of strategic European support.

Related News Links:
today.reuters.com
www.timesonline.co.uk

[edit on 23/2/2005 by Emmett_Dabru]

[edit on 28-2-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   
It appears that Bush may have gotten the message loud and clear this time. Even HE acknoledged he had a bad reception. Will this change him?
Its good for him to be exposed to peoples true feelings for him- instead of barricating protesters miles away from his highness as they have done here.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Humm.....Bush knew that he was not going to be welcome with open arms by the citizens of the countries he is visiting.

That he actually admitted himself, well...... that surprised me, after all we all know how arrogant Bush can be when it comes to his personal view of how important, he is to the world.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 10:33 PM
link   
These thinly-veiled threats from Germany and Britain, and the outright bullying from the US casts an interesting shadow on Central Europe.

Russia's recent sympathy for Iran (not to mention their Yukos oil handouts to China) has placed them square in the (war)path of the US OILigarchy.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Well Hitler was first seen as this great savior of Germany and millions loved him. Then he called the monster, but that is not the point. So I guess calling Bush Hitler is good. He is no savior, nor do millions love him.

Surf

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Well we knew there would be some protests...GOOD!
These people have the right to protest and shows that democratic principals are found thru Europe.

Yes this is a signal that USA policies are unliked to a certain degree,
but lets look back in time for some contrast...www.softmakers.com/fry/antiClinton.htm

The date: November 19, 1999
The Place: ATHENS, Greece
The Reason: President Clintons visit before the European Security Summit.
What happened,

ATHENS, Greece (CNN) -- Riot police fired tear gas, and anti-American protesters responded with gasoline bombs Friday as central Athens became a battleground just as U.S. President Bill Clinton arrived in the Greek capital for a short visit.

The leftist protesters are angry at the U.S. role in NATO's bombing attack on Yugoslavia earlier this year.

The riot erupted in Syndagma Square almost at the very moment Air Force One touched down at Athens international airport. More than 10,000 protesters, who had come to the square for a Communist-led rally, tried to defy a ban on marching to the U.S. Embassy, but were blocked by a wall of helmeted, black-clad riot police.

Well heck, During such a big deal as starting the Iraq war...Bush only got about 2000 more protesters than Clinton did on his european visit...and there was NO rioting for Bush?

What gives?
Seems like the anti US Presidential hype isnt much worse than it was for our last president eh?
Mabey you people over in Europe arent REALLY all that upset as were being led to believe.

Mabey, much like here in the States, i suspect that there are alot of arm chair peacenicks out there that dont quite have the stamina or convictions of the anti-war protests of the 60's.

Where do you protesters hide yourselves most of the time?
At the start of the war, you people were still out blocking traffic and trying to be heard....
now there is barely a trickle of effort comming from you and generally only on target occasions like the Bush visit to europe....

This apparent lethargy by anti-war/Bush protesters shows a true lack of motivation about this cause.....So i must be left to assume
This must not be as big of a problem as its being inflated to represent.

Sure some protesters showed up to Bush Bash...good for them....
protesters have shown up before for our Presidents....ohhhh scary!
Thousands did the same for Reagan when he visited Europe too....

To this American it looks like the same old song and dance....the same Anti-American feelings we've been privilaged to see now for DECADES....
This American is NOT suprised....and even less thrilled.

When we see some more friendship, and less anti USA rhetoric and actions come from europe, perhaps we Americans will care more about weather your ticked off or not.

Until then...protest on!

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Maybe Europe needs the U.S.S.R to return. With lots and lots of Soviet tanks all over Europe.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by marg6063
...after all we all know how arrogant Bush can be when it comes to his personal view of how important, he is to the world.

so very true

Once he made the decision to go to war, he can't possibly expect people to like him. It's not in the best interest for humanity.

War should never be an option in solving a problem.

[edit on 2-24-2005 by websurfer]

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Why are people voting no on this submission? Is it Bush lovers that don't want a Bush protest posted as news? C'mon people, this is ATS, the news is supposed to be unbiassed. This is newsworthy.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Why are people voting no on this submission? Is it Bush lovers that don't want a Bush protest posted as news? C'mon people, this is ATS, the news is supposed to be unbiassed. This is newsworthy.

It would seem to me that there are Bush supporters that are afraid this might lend credence to what quite a few of us have been saying for awhile now. Now that Germany's own people have made the accusation, what else can the right say to argue the point? Not much, which is why the votes are not coming in for this post. No news for this article is good news for Bush supporters. Out of sight out of mind.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 07:56 AM
link   
The life of a person that affects me in no way is never newsworthy. The whole point to this article is Bush Bashing, which I don't mink partaking on now and again.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 07:59 AM
link   

The life of a person that affects me in no way is never newsworthy. The whole point to this article is Bush Bashing, which I don't mink partaking on now and again.

Actually, from what I read in the article, it sounds like the media informing us of what another countries opinion of Bush is. The reason this is relevant is because Bush has been accused of being a modern day Hitler, and the country that would know whether or not this is true, has just confirmed it in thier eyes. This in itself makes this a relavant article. This is not Bush bashing. It is simply a report on another countries opinion.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Thank god here in Europe at least people can still protest without being shot with rubber bullets and teargassed, well sometimes at least. Try doing this in the USA these days and you are likely to end up in Guantanamo bay.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I think the germans are peeved that they didn't get the chance to start WWIII. It must suck for them as they started the previous two. Maybe they thought they held the patent to world wars?

[edit on 24-2-2005 by Mynaeris]

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 08:03 AM
link   
And this is a surprise to anyone for what reason?
Of course the germans protested, so what?
Do they really believe it'll make a difference? Did it stop the war from starting?
The germans and french are justifyibly pissed, none of thier predictions are commng true. Bush was reelected, raq isn't the next vietnam and democracy has taken taken hold there. There isn't a civil war breaking out, and saddam is in jail. All thier predictions were wrong and to top it off we did do it without them.
I'd be pissed If I had been shown to be irelevant, powerless, as without any influence in world politcs too.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 08:19 AM
link   
These are the same German's that when the death camps for Jews, Russians, etc. were discovered that they simply denied (were in denial) that they were thus and that such acts were not taking place?

Yeah, if anyone should have the 'know' and the 'right' to call anyone and assert that someone is 'like Hitler', it would certainly be them, huh?

seekerof

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 08:20 AM
link   
humm, 12,000 protesters in a small city of 300,000.... and how many people in here think this is a majority?

i would have thought that in an European country, they would have more people protesting against president Bush....

[edit on 24-2-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by websurfer
Once he made the decision to go to war, he can't possibly expect people to like him. It's not in the best interest for humanity.

War should never be an option in solving a problem.

Riiiiight....and i guess history taugh you this?.....

Many times war has been the only way to solve problems, perhaps you should read some more about history and maybe you'll realize this. War is not pretty and it should be used as one of the last resources, but many times it has been proven that the only way to stop a problem, is through war, unfortunately.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   
okay, i don't know why sometimes i can't quote people anymore, so I ahve to do it manually.

Originally posted by nukunuku

Thank god here in Europe at least people can still protest without being shot with rubber bullets and teargassed, well sometimes at least. Try doing this in the USA these days and you are likely to end up in Guantanamo bay.

Really?....can you show us evidence of any protesters that were at the inauguration, or any other US protesters that are at Guantanamo bay now?.....

And do you mean this kind of riots are not happening in Europe anymore?...

Gijón, Spain: Shipyard workers battle riot police
by @ Thursday, Jan. 27, 2005 at 1:22 PM

One police officer suffered injuries to an arm and a leg in confrontations with the shipard workers of Naval Gijón, who have been engaged in a prolonged battle against privatization and for work contracts.

Excerpted from.
www.indybay.org...

Ya...... I can see by the date that riots haven't happened recently in Europe where police and protesters fought against each other, and i just made one quick search on google....

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
These are the same German's that when the death camps for Jews, Russians, etc. were discovered that they simply denied (were in denial) that they were thus and that such acts were not taking place?

Yeah, if anyone should have the 'know' and the 'right' to call anyone and assert that someone is 'like Hitler', it would certainly be them, huh?

seekerof

Actually these Germans are the grandchildren or great grandchildren of the Germans that were around while Hitler was murdering millions. Goes to show that they learned the lessons of history.

[edit on 24-2-2005 by valkeryie]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join