It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kavanaugh Nomination Live Feed

page: 16
<< 13  14  15   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   
www.scotusblog.com... so yeah it is an option that only the senate could stop(currently Republican majority) the recess just has to last more then 3 days .....credit to bird man for the theory

Here, specifically, is what the Court decided: First, on the president’s side, the Court ruled that the recess appointment power applies when the Senate leaves town for a break in the middle of an annual sitting, or a break at the end of each annual session. Second, also on the president’s side, the decision declared that the president during a recess can fill a vacancy even if the opening occurred well before the recess began. Third, on the Senate’s side, the ruling made clear that it has to last more than three days, without saying how much more time must pass without the Senate out of town and doing nothing. Fourth, strongly on the Senate’s side, the decision left it largely up to the Senate to decide when it does take a recess, allowing it to avoid the formality of a recess by taking some legislative action, however minor or inconsequential and however few senators actually take part in some action. Suppose President Obama goes ahead with a nomination to the open seat on the Court, and suppose that the Republican-controlled Senate chooses not to allow that nominee. The GOP has enough seats in the Senate to control that scenario. Suppose, then, that the Senate goes into recess to allow its members who are running for reelection to spend some more time campaigning back home. Could President Obama make a nominee during that recess? Only if the Senate is taking a recess lasting longer than three days, and does not come in from time to time during that recess to take some minimal legislative action. Both of those circumstances would be entirely within the Senate’s authority. In that circumstance, a recess appointment to the Court would not be within the terms of the Constitution, as spelled out in Article II. The same situation would likely apply when this year’s Senate session comes to an end, and the senators take a recess before the next Congress assembles. The bottom line is that, if President Obama is to successfully name a new Supreme Court Justice, he will have to run the gauntlet of the Republican-controlled Senate, and prevail there. The only real chance of that: if he picks a nominee so universally admired that it would be too embarrassing for the Senate not to respond.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

originally posted by: PubertJohnston
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Doesn't really matter to me. Just tell me where my chompers need to be and where to pick up my dolla dolla bills y'all.

Would you make an exception for Willem Dafoe...........er.......I mean Richard Blumenthal?

I wouldn't shake Blumenthals hand for $1.5 mil. That guy seriously creeps me out.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Okay back from mowing the yard. It is a two hour job on the rider.

Flake is the hero here because he out Dem’ed the Dems. This morning the Dems wanted to delay the vote by calling for a vote to Subpoena Mark Judge. Grassley and the Republicans knew full well it was a stall tactic and voted no. Flake with his comment, told the Dems they should have amended the nomination vote. That is why Feinstein went a little nutty after her vote by asking if what Flake said was an amendment to the bill. Remember the Senate Judiciary Committee is no different than a committee voting on a bill and adding amendments to a bill before it goes to a full Senate vote on the floor. Except with a Supreme Court nomination it ends with the floor and the President takes that confirmation vote if a yes and appoints the new SC Justice. For a normal bill, it would then go to the House and since there were amendments to the bill, can add their own in the House committee. For bills that go from House to Senate both the committee and the floor can add amendments, but have to resubmit to the House for final approval before going to the President to be signed into law. For final Checks and Balances the Supreme Court can declare a law unconstitutional if it appears before them, usually by a State or several States protesting the law. That is how Obamacare was decided by the Supreme Court, States protested.

Flake, with his comment, pointed out the Dems should have proposed the amendment this morning that they would vote to move it out of committee to the floor for a confirmation vote, if and only if the FBI be allowed to conduct an investigation before the final floor vote. Doing so would have successfully stalled the vote until the details of the amendment were agreed upon. It also would have made Senate leadership either hold for the FBI for as long as the agreed time limit was or opened the floor to debate on that amendment with the possibility of adding more amendments in the process before a floor vote could have happened. Stalling the process indefinitely on Kavanaugh on the chance either he or Trump removed the nomination.

This is why I say the Democrats are morons. They don’t understand their own processes. And Flake proved it to them all the while granting the optics that Ford was credible enough to warrant further investigation into her claims.

Win-win for both the optics and the smack down on Feinstein. Flake is the hero, by passing the buck and moving it forward at the same time. And done so quickly and subtly that the whole committee voted on Party Lines exposing the political ploy at hand to everyone.

A confirmation vote on the floor can happen with or without any further impediment, delay or discussion at the discretion of Senate Leadership. And you always have Pence for the tiebreaker if needed.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
a reply to: SKEPTEK

an unbiased investigation by the FBI might help clear up some of the issues on this

Hilarious.

I can't decide if it's cute or incredibly scary that there still exists a person who thinks the FBI is capable of an unbiased investigation into anything.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   

That would work, too.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Doesn't really matter to me. Just tell me where my chompers need to be and where to pick up my dolla dolla bills y'all.

Would you make an exception for Willem Dafoe...........er.......I mean Richard Blumenthal?

I wouldn't shake Blumenthals hand for $1.5 mil. That guy seriously creeps me out.

Along those lines, what did some lady do to Jeff Flake on the elevator? I hear he got on the elevator ready to vote Yes with no strings attached then when he exited the elevator he was white as a sheet.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Along those lines, what did some lady do to Jeff Flake on the elevator? I hear he got on the elevator ready to vote Yes with no strings attached then when he exited the elevator he was white as a sheet.

There are cameras in the Congressional elevators. You could FOIA those video's, and since they are benign items there shouldn't be any issue with them being released.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Have you seen his clammy, high blood pressured hand? It's half red and half white on the palm like he's been grasping something real hard for a long time. I've seen his clip of calling Ford innocent and strong so many times that the image is branded almost. Maybe it's the buckets of water he's trying to carry for democrats.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
Okay back from mowing the yard. It is a two hour job on the rider.

Flake is the hero here because he out Dem’ed the Dems. This morning the Dems wanted to delay the vote by calling for a vote to Subpoena Mark Judge. Grassley and the Republicans knew full well it was a stall tactic and voted no. Flake with his comment, told the Dems they should have amended the nomination vote. That is why Feinstein went a little nutty after her vote by asking if what Flake said was an amendment to the bill. Remember the Senate Judiciary Committee is no different than a committee voting on a bill and adding amendments to a bill before it goes to a full Senate vote on the floor. Except with a Supreme Court nomination it ends with the floor and the President takes that confirmation vote if a yes and appoints the new SC Justice. For a normal bill, it would then go to the House and since there were amendments to the bill, can add their own in the House committee. For bills that go from House to Senate both the committee and the floor can add amendments, but have to resubmit to the House for final approval before going to the President to be signed into law. For final Checks and Balances the Supreme Court can declare a law unconstitutional if it appears before them, usually by a State or several States protesting the law. That is how Obamacare was decided by the Supreme Court, States protested.

Flake, with his comment, pointed out the Dems should have proposed the amendment this morning that they would vote to move it out of committee to the floor for a confirmation vote, if and only if the FBI be allowed to conduct an investigation before the final floor vote. Doing so would have successfully stalled the vote until the details of the amendment were agreed upon. It also would have made Senate leadership either hold for the FBI for as long as the agreed time limit was or opened the floor to debate on that amendment with the possibility of adding more amendments in the process before a floor vote could have happened. Stalling the process indefinitely on Kavanaugh on the chance either he or Trump removed the nomination.

This is why I say the Democrats are morons. They don’t understand their own processes. And Flake proved it to them all the while granting the optics that Ford was credible enough to warrant further investigation into her claims.

Win-win for both the optics and the smack down on Feinstein. Flake is the hero, by passing the buck and moving it forward at the same time. And done so quickly and subtly that the whole committee voted on Party Lines exposing the political ploy at hand to everyone.

A confirmation vote on the floor can happen with or without any further impediment, delay or discussion at the discretion of Senate Leadership. And you always have Pence for the tiebreaker if needed.

Fantastic! Thank you for the detailed information.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

He has no balls for Pubert to bite off.

Blown off by a land mine in Vietnam, no doubt...

top topics

<< 13  14  15   >>

join