It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Books that profoundly affected your world view on UFOs/Aliens

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: AriAsulin
If you're going down the 'bug-like extra-terrestrial' rabbit hole, you'll find nothing but inane mysticism. If you're going down the 'UFOs are WW2 German craft with normal human beings inside', you'll find a universe of censored material and questionable conclusions. I'd start with our jumbo jet aircraft. They are as close to a UFO as you've ever flown in your life. Consider: if one or multiple jumbo jet engines fail, only one jet engine is required stay in the air. There is no explanation yet from Boeing or NASA as to how Jumbo Jets can stay in the air with only a SINGLE ENGINE operating on ONE (not both) wings. Explanation? AG technology secretly keeps the planes afloat once the jet engines is running, while propellers are only used to move the plane forward.  This technology was built into the planes in such a way that their own pilots and engineers did not realize it. This was the only way they could get these teenage children into the planes and send them hundreds of miles on bombing raids. Smaller stunt planes do not need such technology to fly, but B29&B52 bombers absolutely did since they needed to carry a major payload in bombs. These 2 planes were responsible for over 15 million deaths during the 20th century as they dropped Napalm and other incendiary bombs over 3 thousand human cities towns and villages. This is how we won WW2. This is how North Korea, Japan & Vietnam were completely destroyed. This is why NASA is fake. This is why Jumbo Jets have not improved in design in over 70 *YEARS*. This is why all Jumbo Jets look identical. This is why they NEVER CRASH. This is why 9/11 Involved Jumbo Jets. This is why basically everything you know. #Communism won.
en.wikipedia.org...

Wait... HuH?

This is your brain on drugs.
Any questions?
(facepalm for effect)

Oh, the OP...
Communion MASSIVELY freaked me out, but I really enjoyed Goode's "Above Top Secret".

The first "Roswell" book was also good. Can't remember the name, but I think Kevin Randle was one of the authors.

Is "Behold a Pale Horse" considered to be a "UFO" book?
edit on 3-9-2018 by MteWamp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: MteWamp

He's alluding to electrogravitics. LoL

Next thing you know it will be TR-3B Astra and magnetohydrodynamic propulsion.

But it is after all the correct forum.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: MteWamp

He's alluding to electrogravitics. LoL

Next thing you know it will be TR-3B Astra and magnetohydrodynamic propulsion.

But it is after all the correct forum.

Jesus, dude. Don't even THINK that here!

Zaphod58 will be on you like a duck on a Junebug!

That's a joke, BTW. Well, not 100% joke, but it's at least PARTIALLY a joke.

Like, maybe 37.45% joke.

edit on 3-9-2018 by MteWamp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 05:07 AM
link   
a reply to: ConfusedBrit

Great thread!

For me the book that got me curious about the Universe (not necessarily UFO/aliens at first) was "The Cosmos" by Carl Sagan. The TV series that went with the book helped in understanding some of the more technical aspects of astronomy.

The book isn't really UFO/alien related, but helps stimulate your imagination. I think it provides a solid foundation to help distinguish between fact and science fiction before diving into the minefield subject of UFO/alien.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Abduction by John Mack, a Harvard professor whos colleagues tried to have him fired for daring to research abduction phenomena seriously. After having interviewed like 100 people, he selected some of the cases for the book. Each chapter is a case, and there are about 12 I think. He wrote at least one other book on the subject.

and

Dr Karla Turners's books, the 3 she was able to write before being killed.

and

I also enjoyed Cosmic Voyage by Courtney Brown but I guess i cant really say it changed anything for me. Still very skeptical about remote viewing, but it was still fun.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 06:38 AM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

Yeah books by John Mack and Karla Turners are very interesting, also David Jacobs has some great books, in particular The Threat had a pretty big impact on me.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 08:11 AM
link   
It's a toss up between:

Chariots of the Gods (Von Daniken-'70), and

The Bermuda Triangle (Berlitz- '74)

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: AriAsulin
If you're going down the 'bug-like extra-terrestrial' rabbit hole, you'll find nothing but inane mysticism. If you're going down the 'UFOs are WW2 German craft with normal human beings inside', you'll find a universe of censored material and questionable conclusions. I'd start with our jumbo jet aircraft. They are as close to a UFO as you've ever flown in your life. Consider: if one or multiple jumbo jet engines fail, only one jet engine is required stay in the air. There is no explanation yet from Boeing or NASA as to how Jumbo Jets can stay in the air with only a SINGLE ENGINE operating on ONE (not both) wings. Explanation? AG technology secretly keeps the planes afloat once the jet engines is running, while propellers are only used to move the plane forward.  This technology was built into the planes in such a way that their own pilots and engineers did not realize it. This was the only way they could get these teenage children into the planes and send them hundreds of miles on bombing raids. Smaller stunt planes do not need such technology to fly, but B29&B52 bombers absolutely did since they needed to carry a major payload in bombs. These 2 planes were responsible for over 15 million deaths during the 20th century as they dropped Napalm and other incendiary bombs over 3 thousand human cities towns and villages. This is how we won WW2. This is how North Korea, Japan & Vietnam were completely destroyed. This is why NASA is fake. This is why Jumbo Jets have not improved in design in over 70 *YEARS*. This is why all Jumbo Jets look identical. This is why they NEVER CRASH. This is why 9/11 Involved Jumbo Jets. This is why basically everything you know. #Communism won.
en.wikipedia.org...

Uhhhhhh....WOW!!

BTW...the B-17 dropped far more bomb tonnage on Europe than the B-14 ever did.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82
Say what you want about him, but Whitelys book Communion when I was 9 yrs old.

I read 'Communion' after 'Dark White' and because of 'Dark White' which helped ease me into the abduction phenomenon which I had tended to ignore in the late-80s despite Strieber's striking cover (arguably THE most iconic and influential ever?) and experiencing (rather than enjoying per se) the 1989 film adaption.

Despite Strieber's own reservations, I have to give the movie credit for giving us Chris Walken doing Full-Throttle-Walken...

originally posted by: Encia22

For me the book that got me curious about the Universe (not necessarily UFO/aliens at first) was "The Cosmos" by Carl Sagan.

I think Sagan restricts himself to Betty & Barney Hill (so tempted to type 'Rubble'), and the sober, fair-minded way that segment was presented in the TV version made me wish he'd covered more cases. What the book could never have matched, of course, were the emotions felt during Carl's 'Spaceship Of The Imagination' sequences, complemented by Vangelis's music.

There are some fascinating book choices here - I have a lot to think about.

edit on 4-9-2018 by ConfusedBrit because: added stuff

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   

I think Sagan restricts himself to Betty & Barney Hill (so tempted to type 'Rubble'), and the sober, fair-minded way that segment was presented in the TV version made me wish he'd covered more cases.

I always think "Benny Hill" whenever I hear about that story. Which is of course nothing to do with it. Sagan's TV show "Cosmos" was awesome. At least it was when I saw it back in the day. I haven't seen it since what 1980? But I digress.

I won't spoil the upbeat tone of the thread by saying what books I wasn't impressed by. There are a few.

But I know when I was a very young boy I read "The Report on Unidentified Flying Objects by Ed Ruppelt". It's one of the all time classics and written by a former Head of Project Bluebook in the early 1950s. It covers famous cases like the Lubbock Lights and the Washington DC UFO Flap of 1952 as they are being investigated. If you want to know real UFO history and how a cover up was instigated then it's essential reading. It's also out of copyright and available in pdf for free at the link I've posted above.

Because I like Cold War history then Richard Dolan's two volumes of "UFOs and the National Security State" are also a fantastic reference. The books are a study of the UFO mystery during the Cold War era. They cover nearly every major case and a lot of lesser known ones.

Also if people are looking for reading material then the Archives for UFO Research hosts a wealth of UFO material.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   
'Flying Saucers: Serious Business' by Frank Herbet. 1960s book. good general info on the subject.

'The Mothman Prophecies' by John Keel. New York author traipses to West Virginia and finds a lot more than the titular entity. highly recommended. spoiler; Keep suspects the saucers etc are not literal physical interplanetary craft.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Communications with the Zeta Race

www.treurniet.ca...

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Jacques Vallee's three books -- Dimensions, Revelations, Confrontations

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Here's one that was so profound, I read it several times to let it all sink in!

I 'd recommend to my friends here to pick up a copy of the following book and read it. You’ll find yourself amazed and quoting from it often. This is a great addition to any library for those interested in this subject. The author does not rely on Drake’s equation, yet clearly lays out in lay terms an unambiguous, irrefutable case for it to be impossible that our planet alone harbors life in the universe.

Almost no hard math and no complex equations will distract you from the treatise and it is an enjoyable, captivating quick reading. You’ll have no trouble finishing the paperback in a few sessions. The basis for the author’s study is heavily grounded in mathematics, however, particularly the probability laws, such as the:
*Union of collection of independent events
*Sequential probability paradigm
*Information inspection paradox
*Panspermia hypothesis
*Increasing entropy in thermodynamics
*Chaotic probability distributions in deterministic and random systems

For those unfamiliar with these terms, don’t let them intimidate you – the book is very easy to grasp…

Probability 1, by Amir D. Aczel, Harcourt, Inc., ISBN: 0-15-601080-1 (pbk.)

This is a fun, entertaining read and may even alter your thinking a bit. There are a bunch of used copies available at Amazon - often less than one dollar. See – now there’s no excuse not to read it!

You can get it here, right now (used from only $0.01!):
Probability 1.

Probability 1 should be a part of every ATS-er's library. I’ve shared it with many skeptics and believers alike. The result is always similar: “Wow – I had no idea it was so obvious…”

Intriguing Thread -thanks - and keep looking up!

Tip: Spend ONE lousy Penny - and get this book. Then let us know what the "likelihood" may be...

'They' may not be 'Here', but that doesn't mean they are not out 'There'...

p.s. thanks to everyone for some great suggested volumes - always hungry for more!

edit on 9/4/2018 by Outrageo because: ~

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   
FREE BOOK!!!

"The Report On Unidentified Flying Objects" --- by Edward J. Ruppelt

Link:

www.sacred-texts.com...

Chapter 4 is my favorite...

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Arouet

Im gonna check those out tonight

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

Where can one find this book? It's not on Amazon (surprisingly).

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Thanks for the link SC. BTW...what is the general consensus on the UFO phenomenon in Australia? Wide spread belief? Not spoken about in public? Mildly or wildly followed?

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Outrageo
The author does not rely on Drake’s equation, yet clearly lays out in lay terms an unambiguous, irrefutable case for it to be impossible that our planet alone harbors life in the universe.

Well, hypothetical, statistical aliens, anyway.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Outlier13
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Thanks for the link SC. BTW...what is the general consensus on the UFO phenomenon in Australia? Wide spread belief? Not spoken about in public? Mildly or wildly followed?

I'm curious, too.

And about Spain. Although UK-born, my blood is 100% Spanish, yet aside from a famous UFO flap there in the late-1960s, like Fawlty Towers' Manuel, I know NOTHING about their consensus today.

I'll do some digging, and no doubt a bit of translating!

Meanwhile, thanks to everybody in this thread, we're building a veritable treasure trove of goodies to discover and savour. And RE-discover, too.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join