It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Banter Cafe, open 24hrs

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Loving 'The Chords mate', never heard that before....

The Chords were a great Mod revival band.
They were on Polydor, same label as The Jam. When The Jam started selling shedloads of records Polydor concentrated on them and spent very little promoting The Chords, shame because they were very good.
They reformed a few years ago and I saw them at a Scooter Rally a couple of years ago, they were excellent.
All their stuff's on YouTube.

...and the Levellers haha, I know all their songs so good choice. Been a fan of them for many years.

Seen them 15 times live....never been disappointed, one of THE very best live bands ever.
Still around now with their integrity intact.....remarkable achievement, remarkable band.

They run their own festival in these parts, I had to sell my ticket for this year unfortunately because I've had health issues......

Yeah, had every intention of going myself this year because I've never been but what with one thing or another I can't make it.

Definitely getting tickets as soon as they are released next year.

.... so haven't worked much these last few months, cleaned my savings right out,...

Just do a bit of door and bar work nowadays....my 'savings' have dwindled a bit but what the hell, bollocks to working all my life for other people....having to consider alternative ways of earning a crust.

Not all bad, I'm on some drug controlling my blackouts so can work again,

Health comes first mate....but you got to live it as you see it.

Certainly can't be caning more money at 'Beautiful Days' lol

Maybe next year we'll have a catch up there mate?

Anyway, an upbeat number for the jukebox, (maybe better suited for a bar than a café!);

edit on 23/7/18 by Freeborn because: grammar

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Top tune

This is a music and banter cafe mate, all genres welcome if a customer buys something off the menu!
Hope you were satisfied with the pease pudding, this is an international cafe as well, so to anyone reading this from wherever in the world please suggest your favourite local food requests to the chef and he'll have a go lol

EDIT
...and doorwork etc, if it covers your needs and you are happy that's all that counts. I've always been lazy since being self employed for however many years now, rare to do 5 full days in a week, just earn enough to cover my needs and wants then chill at the beach or whatever. So, although I'm skint and playing catch up again, when the sun is shining and I'm sitting at the beach with some cheap cans and good friends, well I feel rich and so so lucky.

edit on 23-7-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   
My shift is about to finish but with a big smile after quite a few people through the cafe doors on opening day. Chef/staff change for the night shift so still open lol

It's still opening day in the US so do pop in, join a conversation, start your own random chat, stick something on the jukebox, suggest something for the menu, whatever, nothing is off-topic in the Banter Cafe, the chilled cafe.

...I'm going to grab a chair at the far corner table and have a last beer which I bought at the corner store earlier. Maybe one last track for the night on the jukebox, 'Sound' by James 1998 Glastonbury festival, I was in this crowd.
...it was a muddy Glasto that year but I got in free haha.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Can I order a Parmo for tomorrow lunchtime?

A couple more for the juke box'

An excellent tune, but a bit of a tosser.

Two mates of mine once kidnapped Pete Doherty in Amsterdam.
He was crapping himself for hours, said they were absolutely mental. He broke a window in the toilet to escape from them!

The Only Band That Mattered did some great covers, none better than this;

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

No problem, just shout if you want extra toppings or meat

Now I'm gonna leave the caff to the night shift, short walk home, I'll listen to the tunes in my ear phones.
See ya midday tomorrow with the best quality parmo you will have experienced yet...we've got a chef from northern England so you won't be disappointed.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Ouchies.
A fire ant just stung my left nut.
I jumped up and put my hand down my shorts and said "You little bastard!"
The people in the library are looking at me funny now.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 08:08 PM
link   
87 in Seattle today (30.5 C. Had to look it up.) Too hot for clothes. Cold wine for dinner, I think. A Riesling.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
87 in Seattle today (30.5 C. Had to look it up.) Too hot for clothes. Cold wine for dinner, I think. A Riesling.
106 in Austin. 2 dollar bottle of Trader Joe's pinot grigio on ice here.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Some good diner music

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Just popping in for an iced coffee, please, and any chance of a bacon sarnie with marmalade and brown sauce?

If it bothers the chef, marmalade on the side is fine.

Another one for the jukebox, a bit random but a fave of mine:

Werewolves of London

Am going crazy from the heat. God knows what it's like in London it must be hellish. No sign of an end to this weather. I remember the long hot dry summer of 1976 and it looks like things are headed that way again. Seems the same all over Europe.

We have got a kiddie's inflatable paddling pool - don't laugh - it's a godsend for cooling off in. I'll be straight in after work.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 06:07 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23
Haha no way! I'd have felt that critter on my leg first and killed it, can't stand anything crawling on me.

@ schuyler & skunkape23
I'd actually die in heat like that! We've got temporary air con in the cafe and it's paying for itself with customers coming in just to cool down

a reply to: semperfortis
Excellent choice, another one I haven't hear for ages

When I watch old movies I'd love to time travel to the 50's 60's US diner experience. I know movies romanticise the past but the whole driving Route 66 thing has always been a daydream of mine.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 06:09 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy
What a quirky track, I like it, here I'll embed it in the cafe jukebox...
I agree about London I bet it's horrible for anyone doing manual work. I'm lucky, we've got a lovely breeze coming in off the sea which takes the edge off the heat.
I won't laugh at the paddling pool, good idea for anyone inland, lay back with your favourite cold drink and chill out. I'm going to jump in the sea later but even that is warming up in the shallows this year. I've never known it so warm.

Iced coffee, bacon sarnie with a side of marmalade coming up, enjoy

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Nice place ya got here CornishGuy. Can you make me an iced cafe au lait with extra foamy milk and shaved 70% dark chocolate on top?

I am a coffee gal through and through and only drink tea when I am sick with a cold or flu and even then I'm extremely picky with the blend (got to be earl grey or rooibos), but it is always made with only honey and lemon never milk or cream. Odd that.

When I think of cafe tunes, I think vintage French music.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 17CDT07America/Chicago02770731 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Ahh French cafe culture
Here's some Zaz a nice bit of afternoon gypsy jazz...goes well with tea and tiny cakes

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: PhyllidaDavenport

To a Yorkshire woman from a Yorkshireman (Harrogate) but now in France for the past 28 years... I'm ex posh...

Sill waiting for my bloody knicker bocker glory but the chef is skiving.

I live not far from where Zaz was born in Tours and love her to bits so will up you with this one on the jukebox Phyl :

Wow has that lady got a drop dead gorgeous voice...

She is not a gypsy but was homeless for a while after quitting home at the age of 15 years old after years of family abuse.

Warmest

Lags

edit on 24-7-2018 by Lagomorphe because: I am very crap and that Cornish bloke is a skiver and I am still awaiting my knicker bocker glory and crumpets!

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Iced coffee please.

Got one for the jukebox.

Joe Bonamassa & Beth Hart: Nutbush City Limits

I love a good cover version.

Weather is still too bloody hot.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lagomorphe
Sill waiting for my bloody knicker bocker glory but the chef is skiving.

Massive apologies sir, the server who took your order lost the ticket and pretended it didn't happen, she's been sacked, she was lazy and quite rude to customers anyway so this was the final straw.
Here's your Knickerbocker Glory and it's on the house...
...I'll reply to others asap, just this order was a priority, we pride ouselves on service in the Banter Cafe.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight
Here you go...
...loving the French artist as well

All tunes welcome here.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy
Iced coffee please.

Got one for the jukebox.

Joe Bonamassa & Beth Hart: Nutbush City Limits

I love a good cover version.

Weather is still too bloody hot.

Iced coffe is selling fast here, I'll have to go to the wholesale place to get supplies!
Good version of nutbush

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lagomorphe
Wow has that lady got a drop dead gorgeous voice...

She is not a gypsy but was homeless for a while after quitting home at the age of 15 years old after years of family abuse.
I can't understand a word she's saying but the emotion in her voice is deep. Beautiful track, we should have a French night at the cafe, no snails or frogs legs though sorry.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join