It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Banter Cafe, open 24hrs

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

I never get how some of us Brits think the French are weird 'cos they eat snails. Obviously, they are weird in other ways. We are happy to munch away on cockles and whelks which are basically sea-faring snails. Personally I think whelks are horrible but maybe that's just me.

And prawns - if they lived on land you would never dream of eating one. If one scuttled out from under your sofa you would just whack it with a shoe or something. Wouldn't you?

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   
So, aside from the iced coffee's and another member who has a kids paddling pool in his back garden, how is everyone cooling down in this hot weather?
I've just got back from the beach, had to swim quite far out to get to cold water, and it's the north Atlantic!
I've never known it so warm, in the shallows it is actually warm, which is rare in the UK.

Hosepipe shower outside in the yard to get the salt off was lovely, but even the tap water isn't cold now, it's the end times, I tell thee!!!

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

Hahaha! Anything from the sea is good to go in my opinion, mussels, periwinkles, seaweed, even limpets, they are great flash boiled for seconds and served in a lemon butter sauce. Only seconds though because they will go tough as a car tyre if you overdo them!
PMSL at the thought of a prawn scuttling out from under my sofa! If one did it would get the whack of the shoe for sure but I'd cook the critter and eat it. Just starting my evening fire in the yard now, woe betide any scuttling thing crossing my path when the flames die down.

EDIT
I've eaten seagull as well, but for legal reasons I have to say I saw it hit by a car and killed because strangely they are protected here and authorities are arranging a cull legally because there are too many of them.
They may look big but there are a zillion feathers to pluck and then very little meat. It's oily, and darker than chicken, but not bad though, I've eaten worse.
edit on 24-7-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

These guys are from Devon, really good, seen them playing in pubs and I'm in love with the female drummer lol

edit on 24-7-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Funny enough I live in the middle of england and we have what we call tip gulls (seagulls that have moved inland to live). A guy I know would shoot them skin em and flog em as pigeons.
Having worked maintenance for the local council I can attest older people are quite usual in coming forward with tea and bikkies. If not a little nudge like " is the kettle broken or something" always got the job done.
I have a blow up 15 ft by 2 ft deep pool, for the kids of course, it never warms up, it's always bloody cold.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

Our gulls are thieving bastards, everyone local knows you keep your burger/sandwich/sausage roll close to your chest, and I even warn tourists on a regular basis so they don't lose their food. They are fantastic hunters though in that sense, amazing to be honest. I've lost 3 burgers or whatever to gulls in my life, one recently, schoolboy error, wasn't thinking straight that day.

They dive from behind and down and by the time you feel the wind of their wings and the tail feathers touch as they attack, your burger is out of your hand and flying away. I have laughed everytime I've been done, respect to the bird, my error knowing how good they are.

"Is the kettle broken or something?" Haha! Classic British banter!!!
When I read online about PC rubbish and over the top polite behaviour I think to myself what world do they live in?
I can't imagine a world without cheeky banter, and some nations are better at it than others. Every Australian I've met did good banter and piss take, but Canadians not so much, more polite, which is nice, but not so much of a laugh if you know what I mean.

Lol at the pool not warming up, buy a few black rubber car floor mats and stick them in, it'll soon heat up then.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Anyone seen this thread?
Cops called on women breastfeeding their kids, then dozens of breastfeeding moms show up to protest
...for the record, the Banter Cafe is breastfeeding friendly so anyone with a problem about it can do one and go to the next diner of choice.
I'm shocked folk in this day and age have a problem with a mother feeding her baby. We have nudist beaches here and topless women is 'meh' on regular beaches.
I think the complainers maybe have issues lol

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Oh no, topless women. that reminds me of an incident 30 years back that my kids still bring up. We were down Devon on the beach, went swimming which necessitated me taking my glasses off. On the walk back to our towel (only rich people had deckchairs) my kids were laughing and when the wife asked them what they were laughing at was "dad walking by a load of topless women and not even seeing them".
I'll have a cup of tea now.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

Haha!

Tits everywhere on the beaches here, just normal, same as most blokes are topless around town.
Some folk need to 'put it away' though as my best mate would say lol.
...cup of tea coming up, on the house for the funny story.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Gone all French today?

Not got many French tales that don't contravene site T&C's so perhaps will leave it at that.

To many people's surprise I'm not really a great fan of their cuisine either.

So here's a French selection for the jukebox....first heard it on a Scooter Rally.

And I'm not even going to go anywhere near the subject of Tits....I do like it on ATS!

Was going to order some scran but a mate of mine who has his own catering vans and mobile bar has just phoned and said he's going to drop me some Beef Stroganoff off, its really the best I've ever tasted.

So I think I'll just grab a regular coffee to go please.

edit on 24/7/18 by Freeborn because: Because I'm an idiot

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

I have a soft spot for Brittany French, we share a similar history

Beef Strog sounds cool as, enjoy.
...Link didn't work

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 03:47 PM
link   

I have a soft spot for Brittany French, we share a similar history

Over one thousand years of history should have taught us something......I'm amazed at people's surprise at France's attitude to the UK since the end of WWII.

Fixed the link.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

That was brilliant!
Such energy, loved it!
I'm no slave to any genre and I've saved it to my phone.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Miles Kane covered it a few years ago....not got the same energy etc.

Stroganoff ready, was contemplating sticky toffee pudding for afters but 'er indoors is having none of it.

Might have to make myself a sneaky crisp sarnie once she's nodded off.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Back in the days of drive-in cinemas our parents use to chuck me and my brother under a blanket, haha, 4 for the price of 2

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 12:25 AM
link   

We hope to get to Britain soon ( with-in next 2 years ), maybe up to Wales and get some historic castles in. London possibly to look at the Museums, St Pauls....church's and castles rich in history.

Maybe steal the Elgin Marbles back and return them to their rightful home and be claimed a Greek National hero. LOL

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 02:19 AM
link   
a reply to: PhyllidaDavenport

Dont laugh - but seeing you got 3 fans running anyway - wack a wet fabric in front and get a evaporative cooling air-con

cars with their crappy music blasting out at full whack!

That calls for some road obstacles to be placed in strategic spots.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 02:38 AM
link   

I've eaten seagull as well, but for legal reasons I have to say I saw it hit by a car and killed because strangely they are protected here and authorities are arranging a cull legally because there are too many of them.

Good idea on a cull. Southport to Whitby is full of cocky seagulls acting like the 'North Face fraternity.' Shoot and poison the gulls and tell people to stop feeding the next generation. Fine people for feeding them and maybe shoot them unexpectedly with paint pellets...in the neck and head. The deterrent effect of pop pop pop in the neck will stop feeders right away. The paint alone will put off most North Face wearers.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 02:48 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Haha sneaked into the drive-in cinema! I always wanted to go to one after seeing them on old US movies, I wonder if they still have them. Not a British thing, you'd need the window wipers going most of the time here.

...and castles, yes, some fantastic ones to see here. One of my favourites is Chepstow castle, it's got no roof these days but to be fair it is nearly 1000 years old.

Kangaroo fillet burgers are on the menu today, £2.50 and unlimited toppings

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 02:49 AM
link   

buy Astroturf mate, never need to cut it and always green,

astroturf

hahaha- only problem being, if a leaf falls on it - it stands out like a sore thumb. You'll then have to use a leaf blower or vacuum it once a week....more work!

All this technology and nowhere to rest a beer can!!!

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Mate - lets keep the songs authentic, otherwise I may have to slip a falafel or 2 into your English Breakfast

high school memories..
Seals & Croft

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join