It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rising conservative star Jordan Peterson in debate: "Athiesm leads to murder"

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

I was pretty clear. There is no atheist bible, etc. Atheists get their moral beliefs, etc from places other than atheism. The ONLY common shared trait between atheists is that they don't believe in god. That's it. I'm a little lost as to what the purpose and point of your post is.
"In god" or "in a god" ? I only ask because some members have some very bizarre statements . They seem to feel a need to create a cartoon like character doing very silly things in the sky in order to justify why they don't believe there is a god . Maybe its their way of creating the simple straw-man argument in order to make it easy for them to tear it down . Maybe they would be called baby Atheist just taking baby steps .

Statements like ...I don't think there is a god ...I don't know there is a god ...or even , I don't know if there is a god ... Maybe its time for Atheist to unite to make a universal declaration and put it into a statement of faith . Do you think something is even possible ?

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Why they don't believe is also not relevant. As for the weird stuff, is cause most arguments involve the god the the Abrahamic religions. It's typically people of those faiths strongly arguing against atheists and as such most arguments involve the God of that context.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Yes, a thread where all the low IQ ATS posters can come bash religion and an argument made by someone 10x smarter than them. Hooray!

It's not a difficult concept to grasp. If you don't believe in God/higher power, then your morals are completely subjective and you have as a meaningless singular soul have no authority to tell another person your subjective morals are better than theirs. Therefore they are free to act on their own subjective morals as they wish.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

The priesthoods, especially Judea/Christians claim their authority to rule over the masses, is given to them by "God".
That may be true in some cases but its not a universal thing by far . In a lot of cases a university plays a roll to prepare people entering the field . A Church structure will vary a lot . You will see similar structure across many churches belonging to a same denomination but even that can vary . Few denominations even have a "priesthood" like you might see with the RCC or Eastern Orthodox .

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

There are bad people who believe in God and bad people who don’t believe in God.

There are good people who believe in God and good people who don’t believe in God.

Same same. Makes no difference.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

If you don't believe in God/higher power, then your morals are completely subjective and you have as a meaningless singular soul have no authority to tell another person your subjective morals are better than theirs.

And religious people DO have the authority to dictate what is moral and what is not? Where do religious people get their morals, from the Bible? Because a more subjective set of morals you will not find.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Why they don't believe is also not relevant.
Gee I never though of it that way . I have always took my own position about stuff is to know what I believe and why I believe it . Taking that "why" part out would make it much simpler to defend their position in their own mind because they would never ask themselves that question.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 08:39 AM
link   

That may be true in some cases but its not a universal thing by far

Yes it is.

In a lot of cases a university plays a roll to prepare people entering the field

Like Christian universities, or Catholic Universities that dispence biblical and cannon theology? It's still the same idealogy, that the churches' authority to dictate morality and redemption are unquestionably given to them by "God" himself.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

There are good people who believe in God and good people who don’t believe in God. Same same. Makes no difference.
I was fortunate like so many more Christians who fell into the "Bad" category . God loves both good and bad but His main focus is on us bad folk . I guess He loves a challenge also .

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Atheism isn't a group, it isn't a club, it isn't anything but a word that simply means "the lack of a belief in a god or gods."

It doesn't matter why a person doesn't believe, as it does not cover that. Same as saying a wall is green does not define how it became green. It could have become green due to moss, paint of various types, such as spray paint, or have been made from green dyed wood. None of that is covered by the statement "the wall is green." Same as "does not belief in a god or gods" goes no further than that.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Yes it is.
Well any Bible teacher worth his salt will tell you that every member of "The Church" is a Priest . If ever member is a Priest then what would be the need to artificially produce a Priesthood ? You might want to refer to the "gifts" section of the New Testament . Being a Priest is not one of the gifts ... Ephesians 4:11-16 King James Version (KJV)
11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Atheism isn't a group, it isn't a club, it isn't anything but a word that simply means "the lack of a belief in a god or gods."
Having a "lack" of belief does not mean there is "no" belief . The word "lack" could mean a insufficient amount of belief in order to be convinced further . I sometimes get the impression that Atheist are actually crying out for help with their unbelief .

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 09:00 AM
link   

And I sometimes get the impression believers never felt quite ready to leave the comfort of their mother's bosoms and face the world as an adult responsible for making their own decisions and being responsible for their own actions.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
Yes, a thread where all the low IQ ATS posters can come bash religion and an argument made by someone 10x smarter than them. Hooray!

It's not a difficult concept to grasp. If you don't believe in God/higher power, then your morals are completely subjective and you have as a meaningless singular soul have no authority to tell another person your subjective morals are better than theirs. Therefore they are free to act on their own subjective morals as they wish.

Ouch!!!
A meaningless singular soul?! Wow.
I was raised an atheist by my father, and yes, I have had doubts about his soul, but that was just because he was an ass at times.
I didn't start believing in something else until strange experiences that couldn't be explained, started happening when I was 13. Because I was taught that way until then.
So until I was 13, my soul was meaningless?!?

No soul is meaningless, and looking at both religious and non religious people, no one has a monopoly on morals

edit on 2-7-2018 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-7-2018 by snowspirit because: Badly need coffee.....☹️

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

Judea/Christians claim their authority to rule over the masses, is given to them by "God".

Couldn't show me that
Couldn't prove that
Couldn't back that up with anything

Amazes me how many non Christians think they know christianity and the reality is they havnt a clue

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1
a reply to: Woodcarver

At least you admit that believing in God’s makes no sense. That is why it requires faith to believe in.
If Atheism is a lack of belief in a God and not a belief that there is no God then we both measure out world view with faith . More or less Lacking something doesn't mean you have none it just means you lack enough to be sufficient .
Non belief is not faith. No matter how many times you say it. I don’t believe in dragons. Is that faith?

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

As a non Christian I equally find it stunning how many church going Christians somehow still lack knowledge of major parts of the bible.

Ignorance everywhere, Christian and non-christian alike.

Is like people are just people regardless of faith or lack thereof. There's always people that think they know everything.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Well according to you, anyone who does not fit your standard is not a real christian anyways.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 09:33 AM
link   

As a Christian, you don't believe your bible was given to you by "God"? What about Paul and Romans 13?

1 Everyone must submit to governing authorities. For all authority comes from God, and those in positions of authority have been placed there by God. 2 So anyone who rebels against authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and they will be punished.

This is why we in the USA have a secular government, where the laws are established by the people under democratic principles.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit

originally posted by: jjkenobi

Ouch!!!
A meaningless singular soul?! Wow.
I was raised an atheist by my father, and yes, I have had doubts about his soul, but that was just because he was an ass at times.
I didn't start believing in something else until strange experiences that couldn't be explained, started happening when I was 13. Because I was taught that way until then.
So until I was 13, my soul was meaningless?!?

No soul is meaningless, and looking at both religious and non religious people, no one has a monopoly on morals
What is a soul? And please explain, in detail, how you know? Because, i was under the impression that it has never been seen or tested. Only claimed to exist. But since you know so much about them, maybe you could show us all your work?

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join