It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rising conservative star Jordan Peterson in debate: "Athiesm leads to murder"

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1
a reply to: Puppylove

First off all it takes to be a "true" atheist is to not believe in a god. That's it.
Is that like not believing in something you think does not exist ? Or is it the statement alone that "God does not exist" make you a Atheist . Do Atheist have a kind of bible or a standard brochure all Atheist are in agreement with ? Where do Atheist's go to talk about their least favorite subject ? Do they have like a church building or do they use religious forums to gather and chat about it and see what others say ?

I really hate to get into this.... but it looks like Im going to anyway (just stupid I guess).

A-theist - literally means believing in No (A) God(s) (theist).

As mankind has always personified theirs god(s), in practical terms this mean that one doesn't believe in a entity that "said the word" and started creation or that gives AF as to what we do, say or think. An atheist believes in no 'savior(s) and takes responsibility for their own morality, ethics and life.

Now Atheists come in all shapes and sizes - so I guess you could say there of various schools and degrees of athesists.

I have a very scientific view of creation without the need for 'original cause' that satisfies by need for understanding where I came from. It also explains how all of creation is connected physically and consciously (which is where an evolved (in my opinion) morality comes from.

I believe that I am part of a vast network (or system) and that I can fight it or align with it. I use prayer and meditation to consciously align with that power/force (kinda along the lines of gravity). When I'm in alignment, life runs smoother and went I'm (ego) trying to force my will, my opinion, my desires onto creation, things don't go to well. EXPERIENCE.

When I need help - I do pray to the holy ones (which were talking about this power aright) that have gone before, who's experience and insight are available to me and that portion of that power that resides inside me - and every other being for insight and help in doing the more helpful things.

A metaphor I sometimes use: Consider I (my ego, my personality) is the god of all the cells in my own body. God I want the very best for my body but I'm not terribly concerned about the day-to-day activities of individual cells. And God I doesn't hesitate to get rid of those cells that are harming the whole.'

Simplist I know.

If there were a god(s) (and I can't prove they don't exist) I imagine that is how the relationship would be. It's the prodigal son - and what did the good son get? I just don't see balance and fairness in that parable. I see a lot of balance, fairness and even direction in nature. So...

Whatever, my two cents.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: myselfaswell
a reply to: Southern Guardian

And here we have it. Complete cultist fruitcake.

The same can be said about Islam who kill people in the name of Allah. And the left who tend to back up satanism and Islamists.

Guess there are many of those cults out there. Atleast christianity has morals and commandments.
Thou shall not kill
thou shall not steal
thou shall not bear false witness (in other words, dont lie)

This is basically the core christian value, morals. So I will choose the "fruitcake" over islam any day.

Seriously, the name calling is getting old.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: SoulSurfer

a reply to: Southern Guardian

And here we have it. Complete cultist fruitcake.

The same can be said about Islam who kill people in the name of Allah. And the left who tend to back up satanism and Islamists.

Guess there are many of those cults out there. Atleast christianity has morals and commandments.
Thou shall not kill
thou shall not steal
thou shall not bear false witness (in other words, dont lie)

This is basically the core christian value, morals. So I will choose the "fruitcake" over islam any day.

Seriously, the name calling is getting old.

And so - you perpetuate the name calling - great.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

Do you know Jesus personally? Because I was under the impression that the only information we had about him came from a book? Why do you make such ignorant statements?
So without me giving you a answer to your question you decide to answer it and then judge me as being ignorant in the process . Looks like its you the one making the totally ignorant statements . Oh and btw did you happen to find those Biblical commandments in The Code of Hammurabi you said were there in that other thread ? Probably not and like the OP in this thread will probably fail to acknowledge your deception . Jordan Peterson never said he was a Christian Evangelical contrary to the the OP's post .

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Thanks for a response but I was in proper push back . You see most Atheist seem to be confused about what the word means . I was trying to show them that just as Christians can disagree about stuff in the bible ,so too do Atheist's . But unlike having a go to book they seem to want to mish mash stuff without putting it into a one statement of faith for us to examine . They also like to collect differences across a large body of Christianity and find any small deviation and then blame God / god . or any Christian or even none Christian . Agnostics are not spared by them either . They say they have no soul and I believe them sadly . Like Esau they seem to have sold it .

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: SoulSurfer

The same can be said about Islam who kill people in the name of Allah. And the left who tend to back up satanism and Islamists

I'm no bigot my friend. Everyone gets treated equally and so all people of "religion" are cultist fruitcakes as far as I'm concerned.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: username74
a reply to: Raggedyman

i imagine anyone who walks around with preset morals is rare.
usually society has predecided your likely range of options for response to a given stimulus or upset.
however to assume that your ethical framework can deal with things outside its purview is shortsighted because then things that "cant happen", happen and thats when things get a little squirley in the pre frontal cortex.
so who is in charge of your action/response.
you or god?

Wow interesting question, requiring an out of the box out of the 10 commandments legal,code

Jesus said very clearly, love God love each other, when those rather tricky ethical,situations arise, side on the side of love and compassion
It's the Christian law
Who is in charge, well we the individual are always in charge, that's the joy of freewill
As Christians we should respond because we love God not in fear or duty

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 07:10 PM
link   

a reply to: SoulSurfer

The same can be said about Islam who kill people in the name of Allah. And the left who tend to back up satanism and Islamists

I'm no bigot my friend. Everyone gets treated equally and so all people of "religion" are cultist fruitcakes as far as I'm concerned.

Because clearly you are far more superior to them based on their beliefs, no bigot?
Why can't you see what is so clear to everyone else.
Moral choice? Your moral flavor

Isn't that the crux

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 07:24 PM
link   

I'm not clear where your going with this one because belief systems & morality are not mutually exclusive.

Because clearly you are far more superior to them based on their beliefs

No, it's because my considered opinion is that some of them are wrong and some of them are being conned.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 07:51 PM
link   

I'm not clear where your going with this one because belief systems & morality are not mutually exclusive.

Because clearly you are far more superior to them based on their beliefs

No, it's because my considered opinion is that some of them are wrong and some of them are being conned.

Ethics are external, morals internal

You have chosen your own superiority from within
Morally you can justify your existence over them if need be based on your superiority
We don't live in a vacuum

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Thanks for a response but I was in proper push back . You see most Atheist seem to be confused about what the word means . I was trying to show them that just as Christians can disagree about stuff in the bible ,so too do Atheist's . But unlike having a go to book they seem to want to mish mash stuff without putting it into a one statement of faith for us to examine . They also like to collect differences across a large body of Christianity and find any small deviation and then blame God / god . or any Christian or even none Christian . Agnostics are not spared by them either . They say they have no soul and I believe them sadly . Like Esau they seem to have sold it .

You have no clue what atheist is.

Atheist is "Lack of belief in a god/deity" - - PERIOD! It does not have any other meaning.

Other then that "single connecting string" - - an atheist is an individual. Each individual can believe whatever they want (except belief in a god/deity).

That is called the Atheist's Philosophy (personal belief).

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

So you wouldn't approve if your son or daughter become a first responder?

Jesus was not a first responder. People came to him as a faith healer. Maybe Jesus, if he existed, could have been called a physician, if physicians in those days used spit and mud to cure blindness, for example. But, for a doctor, he didn't really encourage hygiene.

Jesus was disrespectful of his parents. He was disrespectful to women and non-Jews, and he didn't respect family obligations. He didn't respect authority.

He hung out with criminals and protitutes. He didn't have a "job" but wandered around preaching his truth and living on the generosity of others. He didn't respect life itself and basically allowed himself to be defeated and publicly murdered by the state.

That is not the description of a person I'd like to see children emulate.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 09:51 PM
link   

So what do you base your moral principles on

Empathy.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Atheist is "Lack of belief in a god/deity" - - PERIOD! It does not have any other meaning.

Other then that "single connecting string" - - an atheist is an individual. Each individual can believe whatever they want (except belief in a god/deity).

That would be what I would consider an accurate response
In relation to what Peterson said and this thread is about I would have to assume you agree with Peterson. Atheist morale choice is subjective to the individual atheist, would you consider that an accurate statement

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

So what do you base your moral principles on

Empathy.

If only all of us, atheist and other would start and finish there, this would be a paradise

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Not that you have the capacity to understand this but

The mud thing, well it worked for a starter but in and of itself it was an attack on religion, a full forced unprincipled attack on religion and the priests of the day, not that you would understand
Women, Christ was and still is the protector of women, He was miles ahead of any man in His day. You can't and will never see that because you live in a Western Society based on a Christian ethical system. Born out of the Protestant reformation, you will never unserstand

He hung around the dregs of society, again anti religion, anti judgement, anti condemnation, seemingly unlike you...
He does respect life, just didn't treasure it like it was everything, He knew it was finite, He knew love is greater than life, nothing you would understand
And He died, again the opposite of logic and reason, he died for love, again nothing.....

So I am guessing you would prefer children emulate Trump, Clinton, Jobs, Hulk Hogan, Prince Charles, Maddona maybe even yourself

Again....

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 11:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: toysforadults

Is it possible that religion is a construct to facilitate society while giving power to a priesthood?

Is it possible that science has been reformed as a construct to facilitate society while giving power to those that propagate the science?

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 11:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

originally posted by: Annee

That would be what I would consider an accurate response
In relation to what Peterson said and this thread is about I would have to assume you agree with Peterson. Atheist morale choice is subjective to the individual atheist, would you consider that an accurate statement

I will answer this way.

When I stepped completely out of the "God Circle" it was like an epiphany.

I felt a weight lifted off of me. I felt REAL and unencumbered by other peoples words and beliefs -- for the first time in my life.

I was solely responsible for my own thoughts and actions.

My value to humanity and society was (and is) solely on me.

No excuses. No imaginary "Go To Guy" for fabricated forgiveness. No "building treasures in Heaven" so you can collect your favors after you die.

Life is Now. And what you do Now, every single day is what matters.

And in my experience -- this is what most atheists are about.

Are there extremists and fringe type atheists? Of course -- just like any group.

But, they are the exception.

The Golden Rule of logic does not require an instructor. It stands by itself.

edit on 2-7-2018 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

So why were you not responsible when you called yourself a believer
As a believer I am
Solely responsible for my own thoughts and actions
My value to humanity and societies is solely on me

What other way is it?
I don't see the difference

I agree, most atheists are about that, only a fring few are extreme

What I don't get is when you called yourself a Christian, what did you think different and why?

As a Christian I am grateful for my opportunity and the hope of the future, it encourages me to live better than I would if I wasn't one. I am prepared to suffer moe based on love

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 11:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: GenerationGap

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: toysforadults

Is it possible that religion is a construct to facilitate society while giving power to a priesthood?

Is it possible that science has been reformed as a construct to facilitate society while giving power to those that propagate the science?

Biblically the priesthoods job is to serve not rule
Anything else is twisted Christianity and a false teaching
Where they get that teaching from is questionable at best, diabolical at worst

new topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join