It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Welcome to the Trade Wars

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: links234

Trump’s theory is that he can win any trade war. At least in Canada’s case, the goal is to get the Canadian bureaucracy to lower its restrictions on US goods. We will see how this pans out, but I will put my money on the biggest economy in the world.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: luthier

Why do those countries have high taxes?

They have high tariffs because every country in the world recognizes a need to protect domestic industry except the US.

Who cares 

People employed by domestic manufacturing who don't get fair access to foreign markets while seeing duty-free foreign products cut into their market share.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

a reply to: ScepticScot

But why on Planet Earth does the USA need the outside world? Surely 300 million plus people is a big enough market to go about things in their own way? The only people who need Asian slaves are greedy CEOs in my honest opinion.

China has billions of people in their country and were largely isolationist up until the 90's. They are STILL playing catch up with getting their economy into the 21st century. Open trade across many nations benefits all. This is a proven economic fact. Isolationism just results in stagnation. It's pretty clear you don't understand world economics.

Are you a CEO of a company bringing in stuff from abroad? What is the benefit to the average man in street of China? I mean seriously, for the average man in the street what the hell is the good news about China. Did we all suffer thirty years ago from not having China destroy our local communities? I swear not engaging with China thirty years ago was not bad for me or my friends. Where's this so called benefit in engaging China? I just do not get where the benefit is for the average man?

Lol. China? These tariffs aren't even targeting China. They are targeting the EU, Canada, and Mexico. Please get up-to-date on the specifics of the topic. I only brought up China as an example to show why isolationism is a bad idea, but speaking of Trump and China. Trump decided to bail out ZTE who is directly responsible for shirking American law all so his personal business can benefit.
edit on 1-6-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

If you talking China I'm talking China. Now you talking Eu, yeah ok let's talk Europeans, ban em too. We need an Anglo Saxon trading world screw the rest but i'd take in Russia too. Plus India the commonwealth too. Cheap Asian states play it fair or ban em. Japan ok as they are in the same sinking ship as us. We engage with Commies when all they wanna do is sink us? It's war out there Krazyshot you just think it all fun and games but business between the nation aint like it.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: ScepticScot

What is fair about foreign countries charging more for American goods and Americans charging less for foreign goods?

Where does fair come into it?

Tarrifs on raw materials will make US goods more expensive and less competitive.

How will that be fair on US companies?

Since everyone is using the term, "Fair" I thought it appropriate.

Again, how is it fair that countries get to charge more for US goods?

I am still confused to why you think fair has anything to do with it or why you think more Tarrifs will help?

You claim that lower tariffs on foreign goods would help US manufacturing when the opposite has happened for the last 4 decades.

I think having the same tariffs that foreign countries impose on US goods would be fair.

No I claimed increasing Tarrifs on raw material is bad for US manufacturing.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 10:44 AM
link   

What is fair about foreign countries charging more for American goods and Americans charging less for foreign goods?

Tarrifs on raw materials will make US goods more expensive and less competitive.

I am still confused to why you think fair has anything to do with it or why you think more Tarrifs will help?

You claim that lower tariffs on foreign goods would help US manufacturing when the opposite has happened for the last 4 decades.

I think having the same tariffs that foreign countries impose on US goods would be fair.

Having lowered tariffs on raw materials hasn't been a good thing.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   

But why on Planet Earth does the USA need the outside world? Surely 300 million plus people is a big enough market to go about things in their own way? The only people who need Asian slaves are greedy CEOs in my honest opinion.

You are correct that the US is one of the very few countries that could probably survive with few imports.

However the standard of living would be much lower.

Doesn't seem a very sensible economic policy.

I just don't get it? Why do we need to "engage" as someone put it with China? Why is it good for me or the other millions who lost good paid jobs because they suddenly appear? Engaging China for many has been very very bad news. What's the point? We can have our own factories and our own communities do well instaed of them becoming hell holes where our kids end up disillusioned and on alcoholic spirits or the drugs? Where the good in this? Am I going mad in my blindness ?

In general low Tarrifs mean cheaper goods and higher standard of living which has been the case.

Now the US and many other developed nations have dealt badly with decline in manufacturing but that is bad economic policy in other areas, not the result of Tarrifs.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Why not?

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   

a reply to: Krazysh0t

If you talking China I'm talking China. Now you talking Eu, yeah ok let's talk Europeans, ban em too. We need an Anglo Saxon trading world screw the rest but i'd take in Russia too. Plus India the commonwealth too. Cheap Asian states play it fair or ban em. Japan ok as they are in the same sinking ship as us. We engage with Commies when all they wanna do is sink us? It's war out there Krazyshot you just think it all fun and games but business between the nation aint like it.

I'm convinced that you know nothing of how international economics works. But hey, it's not like there isn't precedent for idiocy like this failing. Read up on the Smoot–Hawley Tariff Act and how brashness like yours helped exacerbate the Great Depression.
edit on 1-6-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

why on Planet Earth does the USA need the outside world

No country is an island. Trade brings in many benefits, foreign exchange, ideas, goods. Isolationism had never had a lasting empire. Economic growth stagnates.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Why not?

It hasn't benefitted us as a manufacturer.

It has only enabled our consumer society.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Why not?

It hasn't benefitted us as a manufacturer.

It has only enabled our consumer society.

What you makes you think it has not helped the US as a manufacturer?

You can't distill the decline in the US manufacturing down to lack of Tarrifs.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   

What you makes you think it has not helped the US as a manufacturer?

You can't distill the decline in the US manufacturing down to lack of Tarrifs.

Our manufacturing base has diminished significantly over the past 4 decades.

Trade is partly responsible. Having cheap goods from other countries has turned our society into a consumer based society.

We need to return to a manufacturer based society. Bring back jobs like engineering. Open industry again.

Equalizing trade with other nations is just a start.

I know some may want to keep us as a consumer based society, but a nation of baristas is weak compared to a nation of builders.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Baristas or builders are not the only to options. Economies evolve over time and the US is simply not going to be competitive in lower skill manufacturing industries unless it is willing to accept a significant decline in its standard of living.

If the US wants to increase the amount of manufacturing then it has to be in high tech high quality finished goods. Not basic production than can be one at a fraction of the cost overseas.

In order to he competitive in these markets it needs it raw supplies to be cheap. Tarrifs on these will only make production more expensive and cost jobs.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

No country is an island. Trade brings in many benefits, foreign exchange, ideas, goods. Isolationism had never had a lasting empire. Economic growth stagnates.

But until we are engaging real life aliens from up there surely we are already isolated? Bigger or smaller isolation is the question........................ and the one without being screwed over. I'll take it

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

There is only one logical progression.

That is coming together as One World.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: [post=23452761]DBCowboyOur manufacturing base has diminished significantly over the past 4 decades.

We need to return to a manufacturer based society. Bring back jobs like engineering. Open industry again.

Equalizing trade with other nations is just a start.

This bloke talks sense

There is nothing wrong with this opinion, let's get it back not give it away. The big question is........... Was it really that bad in the past when we didn't have to deal with Commies?

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Baristas or builders are not the only to options. Economies evolve over time and the US is simply not going to be competitive in lower skill manufacturing industries unless it is willing to accept a significant decline in its standard of living.

If the US wants to increase the amount of manufacturing then it has to be in high tech high quality finished goods. Not basic production than can be one at a fraction of the cost overseas.

In order to he competitive in these markets it needs it raw supplies to be cheap. Tarrifs on these will only make production more expensive and cost jobs.

We need to start utilizing our own natural resources.

Also, having the same tariffs that other countries impose on us is fair, don't you think?

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

You can't come together with Commies. It's illogical, they are for one underhans and have other motives than just economic takeover, secondly they don't play it fair

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Again fair is a pretty vague concept here.

If it reduces the standard of living in the US is that still more fair?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join