It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Welcome to the Trade Wars

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

Do you currently work at McDonald's?

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter
a reply to: ScepticScot

But if more people have proper jobs then surely US made products will sell. It not only about money either, some men just like to work in industry, working in paperwork jobs or ROAND MACdonals mking burgers does not suit all men. I'm one of them we like industry

These Tarrifs don't help create proper jobs, in fact quite the opposite.

The US might gain some jobs in primary sector but will lose more in manufacturing if its goods become more expensive.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

No I'm light engineering in manufacturing. Did Ronald MacDonald thirty years ago not a good memory lol bar the free meals......... That was a goodn

Men are made to build things not cook things

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   

It's like people are just implementing their own economic theories in spite of established economics that have been governing our country for over a 100 years now just to appease Trump...
How Many American Jobs Could Be Lost Thanks to Trump's Steel and Aluminum Tariffs

But according to the Trade Partnership, although these industries might see a boost, the costs for industries that use these metals for their products would increase. Therefore, while the number of American workers in the metals industry could increase by an estimated 33,464 jobs, the decrease in other industries would be more significant: an estimated 179,334 jobs. This means that the net loss could total 146,000 jobs.

The researchers found that in addition to lost manufacturing jobs, the tariffs would have repercussions for related industries that support manufacturers. The increased cost of steel and aluminum would also increase the cost of the goods in which they’re used. This in turn may negatively affect spending, thereby causing an additional fallout for industries sensitive to consumers’ purchasing habits.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   

But why on Planet Earth does the USA need the outside world? Surely 300 million plus people is a big enough market to go about things in their own way? The only people who need Asian slaves are greedy CEOs in my honest opinion.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   

What is fair about foreign countries charging more for American goods and Americans charging less for foreign goods?

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   

No I'm light engineering in manufacturing. Did Ronald MacDonald thirty years ago not a good memory lol bar the free meals......... That was a goodn

So it sounds like you are just complaining for the sake of complaining then.

Men are made to build things not cook things

Tell that to Emeril Lagasse.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   

But why on Planet Earth does the USA need the outside world? Surely 300 million plus people is a big enough market to go about things in their own way? The only people who need Asian slaves are greedy CEOs in my honest opinion.

China has billions of people in their country and were largely isolationist up until the 90's. They are STILL playing catch up with getting their economy into the 21st century. Open trade across many nations benefits all. This is a proven economic fact. Isolationism just results in stagnation. It's pretty clear you don't understand world economics.
edit on 1-6-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

What is fair about foreign countries charging more for American goods and Americans charging less for foreign goods?

Where does fair come into it?

Tarrifs on raw materials will make US goods more expensive and less competitive.

How will that be fair on US companies?

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   

You are correct that the US is one of the very few countries that could probably survive with few imports.

However the standard of living would be much lower.

Doesn't seem a very sensible economic policy.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Maybe Canada will take away all the Tim Hortons. Your arguments are hollow, and just pot stirring. The USA has been held hostage for too long with one sided trade deals. Time for some tough love.

If car/truck makers want to sell more cars, They already have problems selling new (Leases are more popular)

They can offset the material cost by making them cars again, with OPTIONS and not STANDARD high cost equipment that turns them into moving computers without consumer choice.

How about examining CEO and upper management bonuses. If they care about their customer then they will react.

Many solutions, just not a lot of give on those who want to knock the USA at every turn of the news cycle.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   

I think there are a (very) few occasions when Tarrifs are a sensible policy. An advanced economy like the US applying Tarrifs on raw materials is not one of them.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

Tarrifs on raw materials will make US goods more expensive and less competitive.

Since everyone is using the term, "Fair" I thought it appropriate.

Again, how is it fair that countries get to charge more for US goods?

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: MetalThunder

Seriously, where is the evidence for this "being held hostage" rhetoric? We are the number 1 economy in the world. This is in large part due to making international trade work in our favor.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   

I am still confused to why you think fair has anything to do with it or why you think more Tarrifs will help?

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   

True, and to me, this is just trying to fix something that isn't broken. We have a good thing going and Trump wants to kill all of that, AND at the expense of our closest foreign allies. It's absurd. My head hurts with how people are just blindly supporting this idiotic move by the Trump admin. This is the very definition of cutting off our noses to spite our faces.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   

What goods?

Why do those countries have high taxes?

Who cares it doesn't effect the us economy negatively to have more choices and more competition.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

China has billions of people in their country and were largely isolationist up until the 90's. They are STILL playing catch up with getting their economy into the 21st century. Open trade across many nations benefits all. This is a proven economic fact. Isolationism just results in stagnation. It's pretty clear you don't understand world economics.

Are you a CEO of a company bringing in stuff from abroad? What is the benefit to the average man in street of China? I mean seriously, for the average man in the street what the hell is the good news about China. Did we all suffer thirty years ago from not having China destroy our local communities? I swear not engaging with China thirty years ago was not bad for me or my friends. Where's this so called benefit in engaging China? I just do not get where the benefit is for the average man?

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 10:20 AM
link   

I am still confused to why you think fair has anything to do with it or why you think more Tarrifs will help?

You claim that lower tariffs on foreign goods would help US manufacturing when the opposite has happened for the last 4 decades.

I think having the same tariffs that foreign countries impose on US goods would be fair.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 10:21 AM
link   

You are correct that the US is one of the very few countries that could probably survive with few imports.

However the standard of living would be much lower.

Doesn't seem a very sensible economic policy.

I just don't get it? Why do we need to "engage" as someone put it with China? Why is it good for me or the other millions who lost good paid jobs because they suddenly appear? Engaging China for many has been very very bad news. What's the point? We can have our own factories and our own communities do well instaed of them becoming hell holes where our kids end up disillusioned and on alcoholic spirits or the drugs? Where the good in this? Am I going mad in my blindness ?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join