It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do so many theists think you must believe in abiogenesis if you don't believe in a god?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

So when Josef Mengele was injecting ink into the eyes of children or torturing one twin to see how it affects the other, and much much worse, he was commiting an unkindness?

How do you define unkind?
Where does that definition come from?
Is it the truth?
What do you say to someone that believes opposite to you?

Sin means to miss the mark. Like you're aiming at something, as an arrow to a target, and you're off.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: slowisfast

Yes, savage, cruel acts of unkindness while dehumanising another person. Why do you go on about 'evil' like it is a thing?
If you want to prove to the class that I hold some kind of faith or belief you really are going to have to try harder.
Fail.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Please answer the questions, if you're a serious person.
Going on about evil?
Feel free to rant all you want otherwise.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Well, as a person who leans towards a God, I also believe in science and - as per the OP - the theory of evolution and natural selection. I do not think that God and science have a problem in coexistence.

Certainly, I think Creationists lack the ability to recognise that belief does not have to be binary, and that closing off options for thought makes people ignorant and (yes) frankly ridiculous.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Mate your line about believing in evil is off-topic so unless you have a specific point to make without riddles and questions I'll just ignore you.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther

One thing I've noticed among your ilk is the unrelenting use of word games and semantic gymnastics to avoid taking responsibility for anything you say or do.

Yeah I know like the saying Its Gods will

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

See I'm actually with you on that. One of my chemistry professors at uni was a passionate Christian and when we spoke I asked how he can reconcile the two. He replied that discovering how the processes worked just explained to him how his god did it.
I totally understood his way of looking at it, even if I don't believe it myself.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   

If you're unwilling to engage in conversation, that's fine by me.

And if you think I was posting riddles..well. Christ man, you're going to have to be more sophosticated in your thought process. Think deeper. Question your own axioms and play with ideas.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Simple answe, we all don't Believe what you want Just don't go all sookie la la because we don't believe what you do

Isn't that what the OP is saying about Theists?

Just read the title of the thread.

A person doesn't believe in their version so they are more often than not labeled an atheist.

Your op is lame and boring

then why reply to it, it says more about you than the OP, boring yet it interests you enough to reply.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 10:44 AM
link   

So what point are you trying to make then, don't be coy, just say what you think.
I really can't imagine what relevance to this OP is there by asking me if I believe in evil. I answered you anyway, now you're just looking like an off-topic troll.
Make your point/s and I'll address them, but stay on-topic.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 10:51 AM
link   

So when Josef Mengele was injecting ink into the eyes of children or torturing one twin to see how it affects the other, and much much worse, he was commiting an unkindness?

yes, I think most agree it wasn't a kind act but an unkind act.

A bit confused by your question, do you think its kind to torture people?

Please answer the questions, if you're a serious person. Going on about evil? Feel free to rant all you want otherwise.

Going on about evil?

Your questions are not on topic and the OP didn't bring up evil.

If you're unwilling to engage in conversation, that's fine by me.

what conversation?

You ask a question that makes it look like you find torture as being a kind act and then ask for definitions of words and where those definitions come from.

WTF?

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: InhaleExhale

Maybe drank a bit too much holy water or something, really odd style of reasoning, but if the honourable member has some specific on-topic point to make then I'm happy to engage further.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: IgnorantGod

No it's not!
I do not believe there are no gods I just don't believe there are due to lack of verifiable evidence.
Stop with the lame attempt to attach belief to my lack of belief. It really is pathetic.

Wow "IgnorantGod" says

...you are wrong when you believe that your beliefs are the universal truth.

And you get angry and kind of lose your mind by saying

Stop with the lame attempt to attach belief to my lack of belief. It really is pathetic.

....because as I read his reply it was not "you" he was referring to but to anyone who believes "their" belief is universal. Chill, it'll make life a lot easier to traverse.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: eNaR

Oh I'm well chilled, my exclamation mark was meant to indicate feelings of ridicule, not anger.
So, what on-topic points to you have to introduce to the class?

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 11:02 AM
link   

I haven't been coy, I've tried to engage you.

If evil is real, and I don't know how you can look at history(especially the 20th century) and say it's not, then there are some presuppositions that come along with that belief.

1. Evil exists. Therefore the good exists.
2. It follows that there is a definition of terms or a way to tell one from the other. A moral law of sorts.
3. A Law needs a law giver or author.
4. If evil and the good are non-material concepts that are true and real and we see played out in the lives of human beings then the law giver must transcend the material world.

But you don't believe in evil. Yet you use words like unkindness and cruelty. Like I asked previously. How do you define those terms? Do they have an objective standard or are they subject to the personal definitions of the one using them?

I'm honestly not trying to be contentious. And I don't believe it's off topic to the thread. It is all intertwined to form the lens a human views and operates within the world through

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: InhaleExhale

Think deeper, I said nothing of the sort.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 11:06 AM
link   

a belief in a creator is a personal thing. And it doesn't need validation or company, it can stand on it's own. Knowing that, I wonder why either side feels the need to "convince" others of anything. Your salvation of lack thereof isn't up to me. I'm happy to help if I can, but I sure won't force anything on your that you don't want.

I can kind of understand why a Christian might try to "convert" folks, but when an Atheist does, I am baffled.

I can promise everyone here one thing, when you die, you will know for sure who was right and who was wrong. Until then, there is no way to be sure of anything.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: eNaR

....because as I read his reply it was not "you" he was referring to but to anyone who believes "their" belief is universal. Chill, it'll make life a lot easier to traverse.

So you read his reply as that?

The key word is "reply"

That poster didn't just reply to the thread which isn't directed at anybody but a reply directed to the Original poster.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   

I don't believe that 'evil' is a thing. I know that people commit horrific acts of cruelty and unkindness, I just don't see the need to dress it up as a 'force' or whatever it is you are trying to do.
I believe in love as an emotion and hatred as an emotion, but 'evil' sorry I don't see your point or how it has any relevance to theists assuming that someone who doesn't believe in gods must therefore believe in abiogenesis.

So try again if you want to find some weasly worded way to attribute beliefs to my perception of existence.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: Raggedyman

Lol, I don't 'believe' anything which is unverifiable, take gravity for example, I know the claims but I can't verify any of it so I'll just admit I don't know how it works. I don't care either, there is some phenomena which stops me floating into space and I'm happy enough not being able to explain it.
Try again fella, your argument is weak and lame.

I wasn't arguing, I just said your op was stupid.
Seems like you are playing the " oh us poor atheists, we are so persecuted" sookie la la hand

Believe gravity, don't, who cares
Argue with you? You are just whining about nothing
Believe what you want, just don't be "that" whinging pohm all the time

You know where I come from, whinging pohms was a name developed because we had to listen to pohms like you and your constant complaining
Fortunately they have all for the most part gone,for the most part

Amazing how this thread is all about you....

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join