It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do so many theists think you must believe in abiogenesis if you don't believe in a god?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

It can be very difficult to talk about beliefs.
Even simple things like diet or training.

People work with the best information they have and you can't just live without acting on something. It's probably best to think introspectively when challenged by life or philosophy.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: luthier

Haha yes, defending turf seems to be a good description.
Personally I have no turf to defend, I don't believe in gods due to the lack of verifiable evidence, and same goes for abiogenesis but bring some new evidence to the table and I'm open to change with both.
But it is fair to say I'm faithless, and for some reason that threatens many theists.

Ultimately we just need to respect each other. It does no good to just enter an echo chamber.

If we want to elevate our understanding we have to be willing to listen. If we want to debate we should at least hear wtf the person has said. I am plenty guilty of this at times. But I am trying to be more aware. Because something has gone terribly wrong of we are self labeling and then descriminating as if we aren't individuals but need to fit in to a label and defend it at all costs.

Politics, religion, race, sexuality whatever it is. The most important things are actions which create an individual.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

Agreed, but take this thread alone, there are some theists who haven't even attempted to answer my question in the OP.
Personally I have no beef with anyone believing any unverifiable claims, from gods to goblins and ghosts, but when they try to argue that I must believe in something I have to challenge it because it is ridiculous.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Oh I see what you have done
Your headline is a question completely unrelated to your post, left out of your post all together . So for clarity I will point that out, and now".......
I will go on topic and answer that one as well, hell I will answer them both

"Why do so many theists think you must believe in abiogenesis if you don't believe in God"
Well do we, do you have any evidence theists say that, I havnt seen any evidence, please show me where so many theists think that way. I think the general consensus is alien seeding, like that's an answer
Spaghetti monsters if you want, free will, you choose, just show me the " so many theists" stats. I don't believe you CCG

Of course the question you asked in the op itself was
"Why can't theists accept atheists don't believe in a God or gods"
We can, it's all in your head

On topic, answered, both your silly questions

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Lol, I've seen it in a couple of other threads today already.
So, to be clear then, you, as a theist, accept that my life position requires zero faith in anything, while your position absolutely requires blind faith yes?
If you do then we have no argument, although why it took you so long to actually address the OP is beyond me.
You seem very bitter and agitated in your style of debate though, you been drinking that holy water in the morning?

edit on 22-5-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: clarity

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Lol, I've seen it in a couple of other threads today already.
So, to be clear then, you, as a theist, accept that my life position requires zero faith in anything yes?
If you do then we have no argument, although why it took you so long to actually address the OP is beyond me.
You seem very bitter and agitated in your style of debate though, you been drinking that holy water in the morning?

I don't mind what you think

But I do have an argument with you
What I do know is you are a fundamentalist atheist, as bad as a fundamentalist christian and your kind are spiteful divisive people.

I addressed the opening post, not your headline, common sense and courtesy would have had questions in the post, maybe that's not obvious to you, but again, common sense, you might want to remedy that in future, cause less confusion, guess you don't care do you, rhetorical

It's interesting that you call me angry, bitter and agitated when so many on this thread have said or implied that about you, irony, irony you can't even see

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   

LMAO fundamentalist atheist??!!
How do you argue that? Yes I may mock you for believing in stuff that has zero verifiable evidence to back it up, but only when you get beligerent with me. Face it, you have a bad attitude and seem needlessly grumpy in every 'faith' thread we cross swords in.
I don't know why you have such an aggressive style, but can only assume you are on that holy water too early in the morning.
I don't believe in your god claims due to absolute lack of verifiable evidence, how is that being a fundamentalist atheist?
Seems common sense to me, do you believe in goblins, ghosts, and the grinch as well?

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Likely for the same reason that most atheists are keen to assume that every person of faith must believe in literal interp.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Good reply, prior prejudice in minds, I can see that.
I don't make assumptions about any individual people of faith, I wait for their message first.
My favourite example is my chemistry professor at Uni reconciling his science with his faith in a creator..."Science just explains how he did it."
I totally got his thinking there and could understand his thought process, even if I didn't believe myself.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Simplified, either:

1. Creation began spontaneously (abiogenesis)

Or

2. Creation was intentional (god)

Please, what is your 3?

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: gr8skott
Please, what is your 3?

I don't know, obviously, I can't verify either and I don't particularly give a toss either, it hardly affects my life lol.
What, do you say it's binary and I have to pick one unverifiable claim over another?

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Abiogenesis is the formation of a living cell from non-living matter.
Evolution refers to the changes that occurred to life after the first cell formed. Evolution is a change in the allele frequencies of a population over time.

I don’t believe in abiogenesis from nothing as in something formed from nothing by itself. But, I do believe that God spoke everything into creation. And so, through his power, breath and word He created something out of Himself. So, the thing is for the most part God is something and thru Him all life, earth, cells, we, were created. And I think that one has to remember that not all Christians believe the same thing. There are plenty of Christians fighting amongst themselves about what is evil, about what salvation is, about how God works. Religion stems from man, not from God.

But, just like I choose to believe in God, and firmly believe there is evidence, and that science can prove the existence of God, then I am not going to argue with someone who chooses not to believe in God. That is a personal choice.

It is not my place to make anyone believe. If the topic comes up then I will discuss and I will share my viewpoints. God doesn’t make anyone believe, and so I am not going to be as pompous as to think it is my duty to make someone else believe. I can point the way, share testimonies, explain evidence, and encourage, but I believe that is all I can do. It would be the same thing as anyone of another faith insisting I believe and that they will kill me if I don’t change my faith. That is ridiculous. You are forcing me to save my life, and not giving me a heart choice. And so if I chose another religion under those circumstances my belief is not true. That is a strong example, but it gets my point across.

I don’t enter atheist threads unless someone is asking a question that pertains to my belief. I don’t get why athiests, etc., feel they have to attack Christian threads all the time to put down Christians. It’s very much an attack.

And so, you asked a question that has people of various beliefs, non beliefs replying and you choose to attack and throw out belittling comments like, “You’ve had too much Holy Water to drink.” Why do you feel you have to do that? That is not debate behavior. It would seem to indicate that a raw nerve has been touched. I know you will say that is not so, but are the verbal attacks necessary in a world of adults? It is not classy or respectful. Shouldn’t we respect each other when trying to have a civil conversation? Or are you just trying to use this thread to slam Christians at your every opportunity? It is hard to tell what your true intention with this thread is. Now, don’t fly off and attack me right off the bat – think of what I have just said and use your reason and true nature to rise to the occasion instead of some simply words thrown back which just imply there are emotions behind your original question. And then let’s talk.

I think everyone has good feedback for you, but that the majority didn’t understand your question, and that your response has made them not bother further. I think this could be a very interesting thread.

edit on 22/5/18 by ccseagull because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: ccseagull

I've responded in kind to the rabid theists I expected would go on the butt hurt offensive. Report me if you like, I'll take whatever the mods decide.
My only beef is with theists who try to make out that lack of belief in gods = faith in science and abiogenesis, it doesn't, some of us don't care that we don't know, and just keep an open mind for any new evidence.
...but that position threatens people of faith, because the faith I ridicule cannot be reflected back in my own perfectly reasoned and rational perspective.
And sorry if you feel hurt that I ridicule faith in a creator god, but you know how it is, no verifiable evidence then likely bull#.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   

I'm not going to report you. But, I am going to pray for you

You are full of anger and mockery. It's almost as if you have been drinking too much of the fire water. I have seen many posts of yours that are kind and full of good cheer. Not today: just anger and no room for convo. That's a real shame. I was looking forward to enlightened thinking from all sides.

Do take care, as I believe you need it today.
edit on 22/5/18 by ccseagull because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
Your op is a big attention seeking comment to gain stars and flags

LMFAO! I failed there then even if that was my intention, 3 flags and 5 stars for the OP actually laughing out loud!
Stop being a cry-baby theist threatened by someone who is faithless, you should have the confidence of your faith lol

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Oh gosh, I feel love for you as a fellow human, of course I do, don't try to misinterpret and sideline my comments with claims that I'm angry, I'm not, I'm just challenging full-on rabid theists who make wild claims which are unverifiable.
Don't read any anger in that, that would be silly.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Oh, that's a great response. I am serious. Maybe I misinterpreted the tone. It's hard through text. All the best to you.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 04:35 PM
link   

It is more of a challenge in text

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I am assuming you mean atheist not theist?

Anyway as a theist (polytheistic focusing on Irish and Gaulish Gods) I also think that biogenosis is how it all began. My faith does not challenge this, or this challenge my faith.

QED

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: gr8skott
Please, what is your 3?

I don't know, obviously, I can't verify either and I don't particularly give a toss either, it hardly affects my life lol.
What, do you say it's binary and I have to pick one unverifiable claim over another?

This is the funny part
Clearly CCG doesn't know and that's fine
My issue is CCG doesn't care

Science, philosophers and theists want to unravel the questions of the world

I have noted the type of people who are not interested in finding answers to questions

What I find amazing is the person who desires ignorance, but a person who shouts with pride how ignorant he wishes to remain.
And again, a deep desire to remain ignorant but also condemn anyone who suggests ignorance isn't healthy

Oh well, it takes all sorts, it's a free choice, what ever

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join