It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Home owner aged 78 arrested under suspicion of murder stabbing intruder UK

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: MrRCflying

Please do not judge all UK'ers with the same brush. Some of us (I am English) are somewhat reticent and less judgemental while parading around like a pompous ass on our high horses.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 06:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Thank goodness it is different over here, then.

Have to agree. And it made me smile (smirk, actually) when Trump not so long ago said that he would like more people from Norway to immigrate to the US.

Considering the amazingly cynical system in the US, where every damn thing seems to be about money and how someone or some corp can make a buck out of you and/or your misfortune, in health care, the education system and also the profit driven prison system, the vast majority of people in Norway and probably a lot of other Scandinavian/European countries would consider it a step down in quality of life to move to the US. What an angst filled way to live, knowing for instance that getting sick can litteraly ruin you or even mean that you die from a lack of the health care or medication you need, if you don't have money or insurance.

Sorry, Americans. Feel free to start the commie bashing! Because "freedom". Or something.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 06:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
I don't see why he had to be arrested (unless that was artistic licensing by the writer) bring him down to get a statement sure, let yalls version of a grand jury do its thing then arrest as needed.

For those jumping on the UK it snot just them, over in Germany I was told that I had to run away if someone broke into my home, (so right now if my pregnant wife was upstairs and someone came in the front door I am supposed to go out the back door leaving her behind) I laughed and told her if that happens babe I'm going to jail.

When somebody is accused of something they are arrested "on suspicion", it doesn't mean it will be on the persons record. Like others have said, there are miniscule chancesvthe old chap will be released without charge...

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

What would be considered justified defense? Get younger, call up a buddy and ask him to bring a couple of screwdrivers over for appropriate defensive action?

In all probability the guys response will be considered justifiable defence.

This guy would be a local hero in the US. Instead he's facing murder charges.

He's being treated as a local hero here too...........and he's not facing murder charges, in fact I highly doubt he'll be facing any charges at all.

(post by FlatMyAss removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 07:18 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 07:18 AM
link   

ATTENTION:

This is not the Political Mud Pit.

Personal attacks of any kind are not allowed on ATS.

It should be quite obvious that law enforcement in different countries work differently, and there for people will have different opinions, and lack of knowledge of how things work in another country.

Instead of attacking a fellow member who may not understand how things work in a different country, try educating them instead.

Keep in mind that everyone will have different opinions on the subject, and you may not always agree, but that in no way gives anyone permission to attack them personally for it.

Return to the topic of the thread.

And as always:

Do not reply to this post.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 07:24 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: PsychoEmperor
If they needed to ask him questions, they could have done that. If they wanted a "formal" setting, sure they could have asked him to come with them to police station and have a seat, maybe grab a cup of coffee and talk over what happened. Maybe let him bring a loved one or two with him just to give him some moral support.

That's quite an assumption. Fact is, having been arrested on suspicion of something, being arrested under cauton is a lot like you describe above. And it's not a case of...

They are so used to everyone being arrested, they accept it as "no big deal"
It doesn't matter if he's charged, It's ALREADY gone too far simply by the fact that he was arrested.

In actual fact i'm starting to think from your reaction that being arrested is more serious in the US than in the UK, the reason we don't see this as a major thing he's been arrested under caution is that it simply isn't as big a deal as you think it is...

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver
a reply to: MrRCflying

Please do not judge all UK'ers with the same brush. Some of us (I am English) are somewhat reticent and less judgemental while parading around like a pompous ass on our high horses.

Not at all.
I have some good friends that are from the UK. Differing opinions make the world go round.

I am just going to wait and see what happens with this case before commenting too much. I realize the laws are different, and that can be viewed good or bad by others. Right now, it is what it is, I just hope in the end this man is treated fairly.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 07:39 AM
link   
A little update with some good news :

Police released Mr Osborn-Brooks, 78, on bail on Thursday after questioning him in connection with what happened during the suspected burglary at his London home at around 12.45am on Wednesday.

The Metropolitan Police said that after two men, one of them allegedly armed with a screwdriver, entered the house there was a struggle and a 37-year-old died.

Mr Osborn-Brooks, who reportedly lives in the house with a wife who suffers from dementia, sustained bruising in the incident.

More here : www.independent.co.uk...

and here too : www.standard.co.uk...

#FreeRichardOsbornBrooks

Kindest respects

Lags

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro

In actual fact i'm starting to think from your reaction that being arrested is more serious in the US than in the UK, the reason we don't see this as a major thing he's been arrested under caution is that it simply isn't as big a deal as you think it is...

Here in the US it is a big deal unfortunately.

Being arrested, even if later you are cleared of any wrong doing, can have a major impact on your life. It can get you fired from a job, make it almost impossible to get another job and can carry a social stigma for the rest of your life.

People here can be rather harsh as should be pretty obvious. Simply being named a "Person Of Interest" in a investigation can have major impact on a person's life, even if nothing comes from it.

We are quick to judge here in the US (which should be rather obvious from the threads here on ATS, heheh).

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 07:44 AM
link   

a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin
Then that's a problem with your law system, I grew up in a not so kind part of America, and I've been a part of and been witness of many unfortunate incidents. As a result I've been Questioned by police many, many times. Never once was I arrested. Never once was a I made to feel like I was a criminal, as would be the case had I been arrested.

You see it as a problem, in truth that's because you don't understand how our system works. The time I was arrested I wasn't made to feel like a criminal. I got tea and buscuits and they even gave me a lift home at 2am from the City I had to go to in order to be questioned. Something they aren't obligated to do and normally never do for the accused.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Lagomorphe

It seems that it is not clear whether the burglar was stabbed with a screwdriver or with a knife so maybe it is not as straightforward as it first seemed. Guess we will have to wait and see.

Glad he is now out, though.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Wife suffers dementia...and didnt have primary support there for 2 days.

Glad hes finally out.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Wife suffers dementia...and didnt have primary support there for 2 days.

Glad hes finally out.

I am sure that the lady will have recieved much support during her husbands time in custody.

Including victim support/counselling which will no doubt go on for a long time as well as family support of course!

Kindest respects

Lags

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 08:27 AM
link   

I agree, if there was no available family support then Adult Care Services from the local authority would have stepped in, the police would have made sure of that under their duty of care.
Fair play to the old boy though, taking on the intruders at his age, now fror the Crown Prosecutor sees sense and don't charge him. If they do though I hope someone sets up a GoFundMe to get him a top legal team, I'd definitely donate.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

I agree, if there was no available family support then Adult Care Services from the local authority would have stepped in, the police would have made sure of that under their duty of care.
Fair play to the old boy though, taking on the intruders at his age, now fror the Crown Prosecutor sees sense and don't charge him. If they do though I hope someone sets up a GoFundMe to get him a top legal team, I'd definitely donate.

Apparently there has been a GoFundMe set up in order to take care of legal fees etc.

Kindest respects

Lags

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Ah cool, I'll go search for it

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

Ah cool, I'll go search for it

I've sent you the link via U 2 U as we are not allowed to post links like that on the forums.

I got that link from here : www.thesun.co.uk...

I know, I know... it's the Sun but their heart is in the right place.

Kindest respects

Lags
edit on 5-4-2018 by Lagomorphe because: I am crap

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join