It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Home owner aged 78 arrested under suspicion of murder stabbing intruder UK

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 06:05 AM
link   
This is just coming into the news at the moment.

It appears a elderly gentleman got into a struggle with 2 burglars ending in one of them suffering a fatal stab wound caused by a screw driver. I will be interested to see what the Police and CPS do with this case as the law states you can use proportionate force and no doubt in this situation the powers at be will state it was OTT.

This type of situation will always divide opinion but I believe a person has the right to defend themself and property.

Sorry for not getting up more info im on a hand held android device..

www.mirror.co.uk...

www.standard.co.uk...

I know we have had threads previous about such situations and I guess public opinion could sway this case if they attempt to prosecute him???...

EDIT:: Sorry I did not state it appears he has formally been arrested on suspicion of murder... Make of that what you will and the current situation in the UK about protection of self and property.

RA

edit on 4-4-2018 by slider1982 because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-4-2018 by slider1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 06:15 AM
link   
a reply to: slider1982

Ridiculous. He's 78. The link says they got into a struggle. One good shove could be life threatening at that age. From the little information we have at this point the force was appropriate imo.

edit:

The homeowner was confronted by one of the intruders who was armed with a screwdriver and forced to retreat into his kitchen.

The second suspect - who police say was also armed - escaped and is being sought by police after the incident in Hither Green, south east London.

Two armed scumbags targeting an elderly man and forcing him into this situation. Ridiculous.
edit on 4/4/2018 by BelowLowAnnouncement because: (no reason given)

+25 more 
posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Ok, lemme get this straight...2 guys break into an old man's house, at least one armed with a screwdriver, there's a struggle and one of the guys gets stabbed.... and they arrest the 78 year old man for murder.

Hey, call me crazy, but here's an idea...If you don't want to get hurt DON'T BREAK INTO PEOPLE'S HOUSES.

ZERO sympathy for the dead guy and I hope the old man gets cleared.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 06:25 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Presumably the old man being arrested or brought in the station because of protocol, that's all.

No need to let rationale escape...

+9 more 
posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Insane.

Natural law dictates that when ypu enter an animals den, you do so risking your life.

Our right to security in our homes is explicitely stated because the Brits didnt seem to hold that particular value during colonial times.

Id have shot them both. Cant have one come back to revenge the other.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 06:29 AM
link   
In the U.K. self Defense comes down to being a proportional response to defend yourself.

There are quite a few case# like these that spring up every now and then and most of the time they done even get as far as court before the CPS rule it was a act of proportional self defence.

Arresting the poor guy is just a standard thing they have to do. He did kill a guy after all, the cops can’t just walk away after that.

I don’t have much sympathy though for anyone who trys to rob a old man in his home.

+7 more 
posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 06:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

Presumably the old man being arrested or brought in the station because of protocol, that's all.

Rationale escaping happened when the victim, after suffering tue psychological trauma of having to take another life was removed from his home to begin with.

Unless "arrested" means something different in the UK

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 06:31 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

He got arrested for GBH first then upgraded for murder. Arrested, not brought to the station for questioning and later arrested if needed which would be normal in a situation like that.

+8 more 
posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 06:35 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

You have a law that allows a 78 year old man to get arrested for murder [ formality or not ] when 2 guys broke into his house armed with screwdrivers and you want to talk about rational?

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Yeah but he has not been charged with anything yet.....

The police are investigating a murder, they might not even be able to charge him as I would hope the CPS will just say it’s a reasonable act of self defense.

It’s a pretty horrible situation all round but it only happened last night so let’s see what happens.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Ban Screwdrivers...

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: slider1982

In Florida. You shoot them no problem.

Two guys breaking into a place are up to no good.

+8 more 
posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 07:06 AM
link   
In Texas, he would have had neighbors bringing him food and assistance for the trouble and an extra knife.

UK is a joke. This article proves it.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 07:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: slider1982
This is just coming into the news at the moment.

It appears a elderly gentleman got into a struggle with 2 burglars ending in one of them suffering a fatal stab wound caused by a screw driver. I will be interested to see what the Police and CPS do with this case as the law states you can use proportionate force and no doubt in this situation the powers at be will state it was OTT.

This type of situation will always divide opinion but I believe a person has the right to defend themself and property.

Sorry for not getting up more info im on a hand held android device..

www.mirror.co.uk...

www.standard.co.uk...

I know we have had threads previous about such situations and I guess public opinion could sway this case if they attempt to prosecute him???...

RA

See? In the US I'd have shot him.. BECAUSE he was in my home... and I would be justified... Even if I didn't have my license to carry.

We call it "justified" personal self defense

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Sure fine... If this man gets convicted then you're all right, if nit, you're all jumping the gun with very little information on the case still.

Let's see if this 78 year old gets charged with murder.

Don't let tabloid fool you....

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
In the U.K. self Defense comes down to being a proportional response to defend yourself.

There are quite a few case# like these that spring up every now and then and most of the time they done even get as far as court before the CPS rule it was a act of proportional self defence.

Arresting the poor guy is just a standard thing they have to do. He did kill a guy after all, the cops can’t just walk away after that.

I don’t have much sympathy though for anyone who trys to rob a old man in his home.

We have this same thread on ATS any time this happens in the UK, We Americans are highly sovereign when it comes to our homes and typically police will investigate first arrest second in a case like this here in the states.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 07:44 AM
link   
And we're supposed to want to be like the UK? Unbelievable.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I thought a man's home being his castle came from the Magna Carta.
Now it seems to be unique to the US.

Probably it will go away in the US too.

Buh bye freedom!

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
Sure fine... If this man gets convicted then you're all right, if nit, you're all jumping the gun with very little information on the case still.

Let's see if this 78 year old gets charged with murder.

Don't let tabloid fool you....

Agreed this is just how things work in the U.K. it’s not perfect I and I do feel for the old guy, but the law is the law and it’s not perfect but no state has perfect laws. This guy will probably never be charged with anything.

Also this whole U.K. vs USA thing is getting rather silly I feel like quite a few American member like to take a crap all over the U.K. at any opertunity they get.
edit on 4-4-2018 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-4-2018 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 07:48 AM
link   
ATS needs it’s iwn crypto curancy.

So we can nake bets on stuff

I would out 10 ATS dollars, that the 78 year old is white and the people that broke into his house are not white. The skin colour of the people envilved is why common sense and logic are being removed from this situation and murder charges are being implied to this situation

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join