It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Home owner aged 78 arrested under suspicion of murder stabbing intruder UK

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

If I were the type to break into a house and someone came at me with a flail that might actually be more frightening than a gun. With the gun I'm pretty sure I'm dead, with a flail you're probably still dead but it's gonna hurt a hell of a lot more.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hypntick

If I were the type to break into a house and someone came at me with a flail that might actually be more frightening than a gun. With the gun I'm pretty sure I'm dead, with a flail you're probably still dead but it's gonna hurt a hell of a lot more.

You know...this is the point I make when people narrowly discuss "gun violence". As if "gun violence" is the worst kind of violence or something.

Killers are gonna kill...i just think there are far worse ways to go than by bullet.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Arming sword and shield always at arm's length in my house.
I can imagine the first burglars face when I run down the stairs shouting "for glory!) Swinging my sword and shield with a big metal helmet on. But just my bedtime y fronts on also.
Heck I bet I could face down a battalion of Frenchmen like that also.

Naked, with wild blue paint covering your body and white lye in your hair...like a true Celt.

If the sword is a Claymore, ill give you bonus points.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 04:56 PM
link   

I will grease myself up just before charging down I want to be shiny
with dripping!.
I do have a longsword but swinging that or a claymore in a house isn't a great idea remember we have tiny houses where we have our washing machines in our kitchens (because our houses are older then the USA (True story lol
) (not really but many are old).
So a stabby sword with a shield is my best bet.

By the way Dripping is fat, I like beef dripping best.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting

I'd pay good money to see that!!

Just remember the blue paint.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I didn't really want to comment on this thread because all the ridiculousness has been spelled out.

But I hope all those UK members who love to trash-talk 2nd Amendment realize the irony here, and how moronic they come off as to people in the US.

I'm not counting on it though.

What would be considered justified defense? Get younger, call up a buddy and ask him to bring a couple of screwdrivers over for appropriate defensive action?

This guy would be a local hero in the US. Instead he's facing murder charges.

edit on 4-4-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

He's a national hero here, pending verification of his ethical purity.

We'll see if any charges stick.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 06:48 PM
link   
There is a sliding scale. If the home owner grabbed the weapon from the burglar during a struggle, twisted it round and it stabbed the burglar during the melee, the homeowner is innocent. If the homeowner had set up various traps that automatically launched knives on bamboo sticks when there was an intruder, that would be premeditated murder.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting

So a stabby sword with a shield is my best bet.

Quite simply a biro with some force to the windpipe !!

Watched a film the other night ( don't recall what it was called ) but the

woman being held did that quite sucessfully.

So I made a note to myself .....

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

You would have to get real close. I suggest falling on the rapscallion from the ceiling like batman.
I am confident in the UK justice system enough to clear this old dude of any wrong doing.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting

Certainly hope so.

The old guy, well quite frankly, I'm a bit in awe of him if it played out as in the article.

That's some kind of tough SOB, right there.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX
In Texas, he would have had neighbors bringing him food and assistance for the trouble and an extra knife.

UK is a joke. This article proves it.

No, in Texas his neighbors would have brought him more food than he could possibly eat and also a handgun, so next time he'd be able to dispatch the criminals properly.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Remember guys if someone breaks into your home they have more rights then you do. you have to feed them bathe them and give them a back rub. and make sure you do it with a smile on your face, or you will end up in jail.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Definitely not trying to enflame any of our brethren in the old country, it's just foreign to us. Our life experiences may be vastly different.

I've had my grandmothers house broken into numerous times, a few while she was there sleeping, my daughter had a guy break into her apartment and he was at her bedroom door, and only her growling dog made the guy leave. Have had vehicles stolen from our driveway over night and recently had my truck broken into and a lot of my work stuff stolen. Close to a neighborhood where I used to live there have been home invasions and this was a nice area and supposedly safe area the woman was pistol whipped and her husband hearing the commotion grab his gun and shot one of the guys all of this on a bright sunny afternoon. Another home invasion close to my aunt's house during the middle of the night, Sister's neighborhood various car and garage break ins. It goes on and on and thats just in a 5 county area.

I tell my Mom to not answer the door unless she is expecting some one, just cause you never know anymore. So yea after you have been victimized a few times you say screw that, its one of things that happens so fast it's difficult to deal out a measured defense based on what you think the perp's intention might be. LOL like okay I'm just gonna give you a little knock on your head with my axe handle, and hope you run away.... No if you are in my house you are going to hit as hard as many times as I can and where it can do the most damage not because I'm some bad azz but, I got people here I'm responsible for, no matter how threatened or scared I might be. Too many people here get assaulted or killed to wait and see what a guy breaking in is gonna do and hope they have limits.

Maybe it is more civilized across the pond. Here you just never know whats going to happen, and how desperate a person might be, so desperate that they will kill you for virtually just being in the wrong place at the wrong time. My well oiled axe handle remains by the door ready to wielded like Excalibur by me in my BVD's some night,but got my buddies Smith & Wesson locked up but close by too. And I sleep better...

edit on 4-4-2018 by putnam6 because: wording

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 02:29 AM
link   
The old fella will be treated very well by the arresting officers, that is a given! It's just protocol to arrest him, and he'll be released on bail soon I'd bet. He will also get offers from all sorts of big time lawyers here to defend him (not just for the old fella, but to further their careers if they get the job). He will not be prosecuted because there will be uproar here if he does! They'll go through the motions however, but knowing that he will get off with it.

Good luck to the guy I say, and well done for protecting yourself and your home! 👍

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 03:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6
Definitely not trying to enflame any of our brethren in the old country, it's just foreign to us. Our life experiences may be vastly different.

This is called cultural difference :

www.differencebetween.info...

Kindest respects

Lags

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 04:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Lagomorphe

He is out on bail, so we shall see.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Fair do's to the old guy. Most people would freeze and allow themselves become the victim.

The guy will walk free if it's proven self-defence. A stab wound in the back as the burglar was leaving the property would be a different story. When it comes to your house being burgled the prosecution will first ask, why did you not try and leave the property before getting into an altercation with the burglars. The wrong answer at this point and he could be looking at a stretch at her majesty's pleasure.

The guy being 76 was not going to run 100 yards under 11, jump from two stories up without serious injury. That would be my defence. He chose fight before the flight for whatever reasons. Probably been a hardy guy in his day and not the type to back down. The rest will come out at trial.... if it gets that far.

edit on 5-4-2018 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 05:11 AM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

Jesus. Victimized in his own home, arrested for defending it, then has to pay bail after 2 days locked up.

And none of yall see a problem with that?

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join