It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Home owner aged 78 arrested under suspicion of murder stabbing intruder UK

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 05:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: lakenheath24

Jesus. Victimized in his own home, arrested for defending it, then has to pay bail after 2 days locked up.

And none of yall see a problem with that?

We dont pay bail here in the UK, You're either granted it or not. He'll get bailed to appear at a later date.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 05:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

There is no bond issued to guarantee appearance?

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 05:17 AM
link   

That is quite right.

Must say I am a bit shocked that he has now spent two nights in a cell, though.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 05:18 AM
link   

There is no bond issued to guarantee appearance?

No. The court will look at any previous convictions, if he has any, and decide from there. If he has been a model citizen and doesn't represent a flight risk he'll probably be granted bail.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 05:22 AM
link   

a reply to: lakenheath24

Jesus. Victimized in his own home, arrested for defending it, then has to pay bail after 2 days locked up.

And none of yall see a problem with that?

You see this is exactly the kind of thing I am talking about.

You know nothing about UK law, like zero, its already been demonstrated in this thread that you don't understand what being arrested means in the UK and now you are making the assumption that we have to pay bail, which we don't.

Yet you continue to criticise a legal system you quite clearly know nothing about as if you are speaking with the authority of facts.

You do not have any idea what you are talking about and keep falling into this trap of assuming our legal system is just like the American legal system.

Just stop.....
edit on 5-4-2018 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 05:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy

That is quite right.

Must say I am a bit shocked that he has now spent two nights in a cell, though.

The usual procedure is court the next day, This being a grey matter case maybe his lawyer has asked for time to get the facts or the prosecution has asked for same said facts.....or a simple court delay because of the bank holiday here.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Yep Mr Osborn-Brooks has been bailed until May pending further inquiries.
No black and white with most crimes and the dues will be paid.
No doubt the family of the crook will be looking for payment in some form..
I hope the police keep a good honest eye on things.
Best of luck to Mr O B as it was not a nice thing to have to been cast upon him.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Yeah thats what I was thinking, two nights in a cell does seem a bit much.

I was also thinking though with it being a bank holiday, I also wonder if the old boy was in hospital for a few days because they would still say he was in police custody for two days. Depends on a few things I guess but he is out now guess thats all that matters.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 05:28 AM
link   
a reply to: skywatcher44

Well, I can assure you that they won't get very far with a claim to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 05:29 AM
link   
If you dont like my contributions, report me. But cut the minimodding. Ball...not player.

No. I wont stop. This is a discusion board. I will discuss.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 05:31 AM
link   

So either you get released or you dont? Based on history and flight risk?

People never need issue a bond for surety?

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 05:32 AM
link   

edit on 5-4-2018 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 05:35 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Here you are. This is how bail works over here:

Bail UK Gov

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 05:39 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

In the US the way bail works victimizes the poor. Its the poor whose neighborhoods are patrolled the most, its the poor who are arrested the most, and its the poor who have to choose between paying rent and losing a job.....or paying bail to make it to work, and becomimg homeless.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Thank goodness it is different over here, then.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 05:45 AM
link   

yeah in the UK it does not work like that.....

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 06:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Also this whole U.K. vs USA thing is getting rather silly I feel like quite a few American member like to take a crap all over the U.K. at any opertunity they get.

Welp, I've been on the internet since the late 90s and I've had my fair share of unpleasant encounters with obnoxious people from the UK, Austrailia, New Zealand and those sorts of places who were never shy about exactly how they feel about Americans and what we should be doing, how we should run our country, how we have too many rights and on and on and on.

I don't remember you ever being there to tell them to mind their own business. But if you were, thanks.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 06:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

originally posted by: odzeandennz
Sure fine... If this man gets convicted then you're all right, if nit, you're all jumping the gun with very little information on the case still.

Let's see if this 78 year old gets charged with murder.

Don't let tabloid fool you....

Agreed this is just how things work in the U.K. it’s not perfect I and I do feel for the old guy, but the law is the law and it’s not perfect but no state has perfect laws. This guy will probably never be charged with anything.

Also this whole U.K. vs USA thing is getting rather silly I feel like quite a few American member like to take a crap all over the U.K. at any opertunity they get.

Pot meet Kettle... How many times on this thread have you basically said that this is a UK issue. Outsiders from the US don't understand your laws, and just need to "stop".

Fine, I have no dog in this fight. It is your laws. You seem to be fine with how the laws handle things over there, that is good with me.

Now, you need to take your own advice, realize that you do not know about US laws and Constitution. Time to stop calling for a Constitution, that does not pertain to you, to be ripped up.

If you expect me (and others) to respect how laws work over there, I expect the same respect from you on how our laws and Constitution work over here. After all, just like I have no dog in this fight, you have none in ours.

The hypocrisy is sickening.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Just thought I would pop this back here in order that this quality thread can get back to reasonable discussion again.

I posted this on page 3 of this thread and sadly some people either didn't see it or chose not to dig in deeper :

For those of you who are so quick to kneejerk in your armchairs whooping and whomping and having a blast at the UK.

We have this entity called the Crown prosecution service (CPS) which has a code for Crown Prosecutors setting out the general principles which crown prosecutors should follow when they make decisions on cases.

Here is an example :

Public Interest

Self-defence, being an absolute defence, is a matter of evidence and is not in itself a public interest consideration.

In many cases in which self-defence is raised, there will be no special public interest factors beyond those that fall to be considered in every case. However, in some cases, there will be public interest factors which arise only in cases involving self-defence or the prevention of crime.

These may include:

Degree of excessive force: if the degree of force used is not very far beyond the threshold of what is reasonable, a prosecution may not be needed in the public interest.

Final consequences of the action taken: where the degree of force used in self-defence or in the prevention of crime is assessed as being excessive, and results in death or serious injury, it will be only in very rare circumstances indeed that a prosecution will not be needed in the public interest. Minor or superficial injuries may be a factor weighing against prosecution.

The way in which force was applied: this may be an important public interest factor, as well as being relevant to the reasonableness of the force used. If a dangerous weapon, such as firearm, was used by the accused this may tip the balance in favour of prosecution.

Premeditated violence: the extent to which the accused found themselves unexpectedly confronted by a violent situation, as opposed to having planned and armed themselves in the expectation of a violent situation.

All questions in order to educate yourselves can be found here : www.cps.gov.uk...

And also this courtesy of

Sadly the gentleman was arrested as this is part of the official protocol of the CPS and I am sure that much empathy has been put into use by the authorities.

Of course the MSM will blow this out of proportion as usual as this type of story sadly sells.

However and taking into consideration the circumstances of how the intruder was killed I honestly think that this gentleman will not have anything to worry about as far as justice goes.

Kindest respects

Lags
edit on 5-4-2018 by Lagomorphe because: Phrase changed

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Why is there 10 pages of people assuming "Arrested" is equivalent to "Convicted"? Why is 75% of the comments "Well here in 'Murica we can shoot people." when that's almost totally irrelevant to the story? Why is it not reasonable to arrest someone that has murdered someone else? Do you know what Miranda rights are? Do you know what innocent until proven guilty means? Christ, you don't even know what "Arrest" means, because every time it happens to you, you must just go to jail, right? It means to take Guardianship over, a literal synonym of "Care", "Protection" and "Safekeeping", only total nitwits assume this means he's in 'trouble'.

I feel like I'm reading 4chan right now. I actually cannot believe how this topic of this man turned into some kind of racist America/UK topic. Who gives a # if America or UK is better, and who ACTUALLY thinks this one happenstance is credible enough to argue such a stupid topic like that? How #ing stupid has this website become in the last year?

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join