It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For 37 mins. . . people in Hawaii were left to believe that a missile was headed their way. Why?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I'm glad I turned off emergency government notifications on my phone. I hated the first time I heard one which was an amber alert. I got a phone a few months earlier and didn't even know they had emergency notifications turned on. I lived without any emergency phone notification all my life and don't need a phone blasting away an alert that doesn't involve me. If a real emergency happens, hopefully the emergency broadcast system will put alerts all over tv and the Internet. Not everyone has a cell phone.

This kind of alert message would be far worse than an amber alert that was a waste of my time since I was home in bed and not traveling anywhere. I probably should find a do not disturb button on my phone except in case of verified missile launch.

I saw the guy on tv who pressed the wrong button. He fessed up. He said it was his mistake. The test message wasn't supposed to go out to the public. Hawaii isn't the only state that will need to worry about NK missiles if they develop nukes that fit on their submarine launched missiles.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 12:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: SkeptiSchism
Sorry if someone already posted this

He feels really bad': Civil Defense employee who sparked terror in Hawaii by accidentally triggering ballistic MISSILE warning will be 'retrained' say officials after thousands fled to bomb shelters Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

A Civil Defense employee is set to be retrained after a shocking blunder on Saturday morning, when a mistaken alert warning of an inbound ballistic missile sent thousands fleeing for shelter.

The false alarm was caused by a Hawaii Emergency Management Agency employee who 'pushed the wrong buttons' during an internal drill timed to coincide with a shift handover at 8.07am. The all-clear phone alert was not sent until 38 minutes later.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Guess that's the 'official' story.

This was the rumor at the bar earlier (the bars in my area are completely packed, btw, everyone toasting to "surviving the missile"), that they are claiming someone pushed the wrong button.

Maybe, but no one seems to believe it. No one at all.

Seems a little hard to believe, but if it's true, then our taxes are paying absolute bumbling morons to protect us.

That thought is almost as scary as the missiles.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 02:00 AM
link   
to provoke mass hysteria ofc.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Shame liberals get a warning message at all.

The effort that goes into the design of such information systems. The difficulty in ensuring the warning systems work. A botched test amidst the other weapons drills going on in Hawaii...

This is a horrible thing. Regardless of a wrong button pushed and a false alarm... we know the system works. Horrible to know that for sure!!

I suggest that the US abandon Hawaii in its defense plan along with California.

Ungrateful pricks....
edit on 1/14/2018 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 03:38 AM
link   
a reply to: VariableConstant

I also don't believe it. The time to all clear is what makes this suspicious.

If it was a mistake, why take so long to send out a cancellation, especially since people got warnings a minute a part (saw a screen shot with no expiration, and another underneath it with expiration).

If someone did mess up and couldn't cancel it, why didn't they follow up with a blizzard warning, flash floods, etc just so people would know something is wrong with the system.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 03:57 AM
link   
a reply to: penfold
Could be but it’s sctually a stupid idea because when it is real nobody will believe it.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 03:59 AM
link   
a reply to: VariableConstant

How many people just killed themselves or commited a murder suicide. Or decide to go on a raping spree . told their boss to F### off, Told their wife they were cheating, told their parents they were gay.

Hawaii has some splaining to do.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 04:00 AM
link   
I hope everyone there looks at what they did with their time and rethink what they can do better next time.
Silver lining n all.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 05:01 AM
link   
i'm suprised no one really suggested the obvious reason for that incident.
this false alarm goes along the white house, media etc. rhetoric about bad north korea that has to be dealt with.

if this false alarm does anything, it further boosts a mindset in people about the alleged present threat of an attack by north korea and that nuclear war can start anytime. s* just got real for 40 minutes.
so more people will be convinced it's time to deal with north korea.

to the theory about a real missile that was intercepted:
doubt it. kim needs status quo to stay in power and live his luxurious live. he won't gain anything from a strike against the united states.
yes, he's dumb. but he's not ISIS level dumb.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 05:16 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

You want liberal families to be burned to death? Wow are you an American?

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Why?
To scare the people!
Same reason they use everything else for, like terrorism, for example.

Or why was there a similiar "mistake" on Guam, in August 2017:
Guam radio stations freak out island with emergency alert

Mistakes?

"Coincidences"!

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 05:55 AM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

The skies are tracked by all 1st world countries. They all see whats happening. if a missile showed up on radar but it was lied about surely Russia or China would step up and say "nuh uh not true" to get a 1UP on the President

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 06:02 AM
link   
As someone who lives on the East side of Oahu this has been a crazy day. As I mentioned in another thread I run a local healthcare facility and this has been something we have been prepping for. I don't think anyone thought it would happen but we need to be prepared. All those who say we would all die are wrong, there would be a large area of 100% fatalies but an even larger area of survivors. With the amount of time we have you have to quickly assess how to protect yourself. On an island with only a small number of true roads in and out of areas the idea of driving to a location (bomb shelter, north shore, etc) is out of the picture. You would never get there in the time you have. I was at home with my parents this morning so I decided to move everyone into the room where my bed-bound father is. So while calling work for prepping I was running around the house gathering all I needed in case it was real. I have a special communication route for information in disasters (whether tsunami, hurricane, earthquake or bomb threat) so I had that phone on waiting for a reply. It amazed me also that we got our all clears through non-official channels before an official one. I had family members telling me it was a false alarm and even thought I was sure it was also I would not accept it until the information came through official channels. As I told my family, we don't know if there was more to the story, if the alert went out before anything was fired or if there was any hacking going on....as such I waited until we got the official word.
On a personal level I feel there is more to the story than what we have heard. I don't know what it is and doubt we will ever know but this does not make sense to me.
The good thing is we are reassessing our preparations now. Meetings are already being called my agencies and companies to analyze what went wrong and plan for a next time I truly hope never happens. From quicker communication from the official channels, to news channels covering more information immediately, there is so much we need to address. Lastly, it has given us a reminder of how much we love our loved ones and how when stuff like this happens they are truly who matter in all your thoughts. So many people I wanted to tell I love you.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 06:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Catch_a_Fire
I briefly mentioned this in another thread but it's hard to believe this could have been a mistake. There's no one button that can be pressed as a mistake. I'm sure it would have, at least, had to go through a person in charge or two before authority to raise the alert was given.

Whatever it was..... it isn't what we're being told..... IMO.

I read the button was one that said broadcast. According to the governor it was a test gone wrong.

This is similar to nuclear weapons tests they are given a scenario and play it out as if it's real so the people handling the nuclear weapon doesn't know if it's real or fake. Not until they flip the keys and the missile doesn't launch do they know it was a drill.

Here they were supposed to make sure the people in the drill would not actually send the message apparently that means whoever conducted the drill forgot to hit the button that took the system off line.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 06:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake
Does anyone think there was an actual missile that got intercepted or failed in flight? I could see the intelligence community keeping this under wraps in order to keep tensions from inflating.

More like keeping Trump from being right.

But nah, no missile or NK would have been lit up and no keeping that secret.

At the presser, the head guy took the blame and apologized for the mistake/accident.

37 mins tho. Once they realized what happened, well who knows what was going through their minds.

I'm leaning towards the WH is behind it.

Trolling Hawaii.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 06:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace

The effort that goes into the design of such information systems. The difficulty in ensuring the warning systems work. A botched test amidst the other weapons drills going on in Hawaii...

This is a horrible thing. Regardless of a wrong button pushed and a false alarm... we know the system works. Horrible to know that for sure!!

Ungrateful pricks....

You’ve got some serious issues you should talk to a professional about.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   
The Hawaii government worker who pushed the wrong button is scheduled to be "Retrained".

www.foxnews.com...

We're all safe now.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   

The Hawaii government worker who pushed the wrong button is scheduled to be "Retrained".
a reply to: carewemust

DO NOT PUSH ANY !@#$% BUTTONS UNTIL WE TELL YOU TO ......!!

GOT THAT !!!!

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace

Ungrateful pricks....

Wow.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: firerescue

a reply to: carewemust

DO NOT PUSH ANY !@#$% BUTTONS UNTIL WE TELL YOU TO ......!!

GOT THAT !!!!

I would humbly like to add that this also goes for Potus, regardless of the size of his nuke button.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join