It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For 37 mins. . . people in Hawaii were left to believe that a missile was headed their way. Why?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

Thanks for your assessment, it was just a thought I had.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye Scary isn't it? Who might be next? How would anyone know if it's real or not? I wonder if TPTB were just playing around again and wanted to shake things up a bit. So sad for all those people and the stress that they went through for that 37 minutes.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 10:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake
Does anyone think there was an actual missile that got intercepted or failed in flight? I could see the intelligence community keeping this under wraps in order to keep tensions from inflating.

Anything is possible. It could be that a missile was intercepted. I find it interesting that the 37 minutes that went by before the "error" was corrected happens to be about the same amount of time that would pass from launch to impact.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the gov't was trying to gauge public reaction to an alert, or it could be the alert system was hacked (possibly by North Korea).

My guts tell me this was more than an "error." I don't buy it.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 10:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
a reply to: Zaphod58

NORAD is staffed 25 hours a day 8 days a week. I would think they would know if a missile launch occurred and a missile is inbound somewhere.

Yes or No?

One of my children worked inside Cheyenne Mountain for NORAD in Colorado. They never sleep, and they, along with their computers, are always watching. EVERYWHERE.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Since all of the news agencies ran the same story at the exact same time we know there is a breaking news wire that could be compromised. ATS and Twitter connect local witnesses that can be used to corroborate or refute that official line. So it would be a little more difficult to broadcast a convincing Pearl Harbor attack with so much interactive media these days.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 10:38 PM
link   

I couldn't find ANYTHING on Facebook when this happened. My roommate was watching Fox News and SHE told me. I was still seeing memes about the poo holes of the world and how dare Trump call it as he sees it.

No panic on FB. In fact, nobody had anything to say about it. Especially the family members and friends on my FB who are active military.....

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I was reading a timeline that said they figured out it was a false alarm after just a few minutes. The FIRST corrective action they took was to make sure that anyone who had their cell phone off would not receive the warning when they turned it on.

Seven minutes go by after that, and then an effort is made to use social media to get the word out that it's a false alarm.

No local or national news is alerted and reporting on it though.

The timeline is still headache-inducing even though it appears some effort was made to get the word out after 17 minutes or so. The effort was so small...no one desperately looking for updated info really knew for 37-38 minutes.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Here's Dahboo7's video on this:

I wonder if the gov't will ever fess up to the truth about what happened???

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Hawaii Gov. David Ige said there wasn't a process in place to send out a message stating "that this is a false alarm."

www.foxnews.com...

edit on 13/1/18 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake

Thanks for your assessment, it was just a thought I had.

It was actually the first thought I had. And I don't dismiss it. I would just expect evidence of it before I believed it.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: dianajune

clearly the missile wasnt really sent because Clinton and her cronies didnt get elected and the illuminate couldnt pull the right strings to make it happen.

joking aside thats a serious cluster f up. I wonder the Q posts to come from this.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus

Hawaii Gov. David Ige said there wasn't a process in place to send out a message stating "that this is a false alarm."

www.foxnews.com...

Lucky government there dose not build cars because if they did they might forget to install the brakes.....

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I'm still stewing about how Trump failed to comment about this.

The people of Hawaii went into panic mode for over 30 minutes.

Not one Tweet from Trump.

Not one Tweet from Pence.

The White House only said the President was "briefed."

But Trump sees fit to comment on that book that has him all riled up.

I smell a rat.

Edit: According to DEFCONWarningSystem on Twitter, Hawaii will stop testing its Emergency Alert System until they finish investigating this incident.

Yup.

edit on 13-1-2018 by dianajune because: added info

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 11:14 PM
link   
There are a few members of ATS I know of that live in the islands. I've not seen any of them posting in this thread, though that's not to say that no Hawaii residents are responding here.

In any event, I woke up to this message. No fuc*ing around, my phone started screeching and informed me in no uncertain terms that a missile was on the way. In all caps. "THIS IS NOT A DRILL" it said. From a sender that had notified me of flash flood warnings and such in the past, meaning this message came from an official source. This message was in the same text thread, so who could question it?

I've spent this entire day talking about it with tourists and residents alike, and everyone is on the same page: you either believed it and experienced everything that went along with the certainty that a missile was on the way and your life was likely over, or you didn't believe it at all and just went on with your day. Very few people just went on with their day, from what I can tell.

There were traffic accidents and health problems exacerbated by this idiocy; the consensus from my perspective is that people should go to prison over this. It's not a small mistake, this led to real damage to people's lives.

Pushed the wrong button, no way.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: VariableConstant

I cannot fathom how terrifying that was. I'm so sorry you went through that!

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: dianajune

Why should he comment on a mistake the government of the state of Hawaii made?

I would imagine had Trump weighed in he would have been bitched at for that. As it stands now Democrats are blaming Trump and the military for Hawaii's screw up.

Nick Short
🇺🇸
‏Verified account @PoliticalShort
38m38 minutes ago

Last year on January 3, 2017, emergency warning sirens across Oahu and a few on Kauai went off accidentally at approximately 8:07 a.m. Today a false alert was sent out about a missile threat in bound to Hawaii at 8:07 a.m. Wonder who was working these shifts the past 2 years?

edit on 13-1-2018 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Well, thank you. To be honest though, I just went back to sleep.

I figured either it was real and I'd be dead in minutes; it was real and I'd survive and have one hell of a hard day ahead of me; or it was BS and I had to get ready for work in an hour, so I might as well sleep no matter what. Turns out it was BS and I had to get up in an hour and get ready for work, so I made the right call. But a lot of people had a hard 40 minutes before they told us it was all a mistake. No excuse for letting people think it was real for 40 minutes.

There are no shelters, at all, where I live in the islands. There was nowhere to go, so luckily for me it was nonsense. Had to work all day, anyway.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Sorry if someone already posted this

He feels really bad': Civil Defense employee who sparked terror in Hawaii by accidentally triggering ballistic MISSILE warning will be 'retrained' say officials after thousands fled to bomb shelters Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

A Civil Defense employee is set to be retrained after a shocking blunder on Saturday morning, when a mistaken alert warning of an inbound ballistic missile sent thousands fleeing for shelter.

The false alarm was caused by a Hawaii Emergency Management Agency employee who 'pushed the wrong buttons' during an internal drill timed to coincide with a shift handover at 8.07am. The all-clear phone alert was not sent until 38 minutes later.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Guess that's the 'official' story.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 11:56 PM
link   

False alarms by early warning systems are nothing new

Back in early 1980's NORAD sent out false alert when a computer chip malfunctioned and began creating false targets
on radar

Another case came when someone mounted a simulation tape of Soviet attack on operations computer

Soviets/Russians were not immune from similar errors

1983 - time of high tension, Reagan calling Soviets "evil empire", KAL 007 shutdown after crossing Soviet airspace, add
to that US takedown of Communist regime on Grenada. Soviets had for past few years been high alert for sneak
attack from USA.

Into this atmosphere of paranoia early warning satellite picks up infrared flares from central US . LT COL Stanislaus
Petrov broke protocol and instead of transmitting it up chain orders system reset based on instinct and fact no other
indications of launch. Probably saved world from WWIII

In 1995 Russians went on full launch alert when sounding rocket from Norway misinterpreted as missile launch

So before beginning spinning conspiracy tales remember the old saying "given choice between stupidity and conspiracy ,
stupidity always wins..."

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 11:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkeptiSchism
Sorry if someone already posted this

He feels really bad': Civil Defense employee who sparked terror in Hawaii by accidentally triggering ballistic MISSILE warning will be 'retrained' say officials after thousands fled to bomb shelters Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

A Civil Defense employee is set to be retrained after a shocking blunder on Saturday morning, when a mistaken alert warning of an inbound ballistic missile sent thousands fleeing for shelter.

The false alarm was caused by a Hawaii Emergency Management Agency employee who 'pushed the wrong buttons' during an internal drill timed to coincide with a shift handover at 8.07am. The all-clear phone alert was not sent until 38 minutes later.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Guess that's the 'official' story.

Awwww....the poor guy feels bad?

So did everyone else in Hawaii.

"He," "she," or whoever should be held accountable.

This wasn't a mistake. Nope. Not buying it.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join