It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For 37 mins. . . people in Hawaii were left to believe that a missile was headed their way. Why?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

The incident in Dallas shows that they just can’t flip a switch and fix it instantly like you’re implying.

And yet apparently the process can be set in motion by some guy who accidentally flips a switch, seemingly without any sort of authorization from anyone above him.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure they figured out Osama bin laden brought down the twin towers faster than they were able to turn that off.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   
The why is simple:

1) government agencies are inherently incompetent, leading to the warning to going out in the first place

2) government agencies are inherently slow and inefficient, leading to the long delay in getting the official correction out

There's really no need to start making # up. What they're saying happened doesn't defy any conventional wisdom.

I know this isn't gonna stop people from just making # up for no reason. Not even sure why I'm posting it, some are already convinced something else happened and they will never, ever let go of that fantasy.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder
a reply to: Chadwickus

The incident in Dallas shows that they just can’t flip a switch and fix it instantly like you’re implying.

And yet apparently the process can be set in motion by some guy who accidentally flips a switch, seemingly without any sort of authorization from anyone above him.

And something this dumb from a government entity surprises you somehow? Really? We've had ATS members who have actually lived there openly stating this is no surprise since the govt there is incompetent. I have no problem believing that this government designed a system requiring two-factor authorization for an alert (for safety) yet having both factors controlled by a single person. In addition, planning to have a missile warning test scheduled at a shift change border.

That sure sounds to me like standard government incompetence.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

I agree that it's entirely possible that this was mere incompetence.

That's not stopping some from using this to bash president Trump, though. The Washington Post runs a story entitled, "The false alarm in Hawaii revealed an abdication of leadership by Trump."

The come out swinging with the headline, so many hidden assumptions in just that alone.

This is what they hit him with:

This, by contrast, was President Trump’s first tweet after the incorrect alert went out.

So much Fake News is being reported. They don’t even try to get it right, or correct it when they are wrong. They promote the Fake Book of a mentally deranged author, who knowingly writes false information. The Mainstream Media is crazed that WE won the election!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 13, 2018

It was sent more than three hours after the alert went out. As you can see, it has nothing to do with the alert. Those who follow Trump on Twitter — 46.6 million of them — haven’t been given any information about what happened on Saturday at all.

President Trump would know before any alert from any agency could go out whether or not there were an ICBM launch anywhere in the world. NORAD never sleeps and they have a direct line to the president at all times.

Rather than address the issue in any way, the president lets the press (and the public) stew. Eventually an official statement is issued. I think the choice of wording is very interesting:

“The President has been briefed on the state of Hawaii’s emergency management exercise,” it read. “This was purely a state exercise.”

Simple, straightforward, and brief.

They ask why president Trump did not respond more quickly. A legitimate question.

MME points out that the people on the ground should have been more alert in their response to the error. Also a legitimate point.

From the BBC:

One of the problems was that the alert system did not allow for a correction to be sent quickly to mobiles.

State officials said a "cancellation template" would be created to address the problem, the New York Times reported.

Two people are also now required to sign off the issuing of an alert, it said.

State lawmakers are going to hold a hearing next Friday.

So it seems as though there is no quick cancel feature, which to me seems like something you'd want to code in from the beginning.

This also states that there is a double confirmation before such an alert can be issued so any explanation of admission of fault that only includes one person is incomplete at best.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

It took them 37(38?) minutes to put out the official retraction. Can you imagine how much longer it would've taken if the President got involved in the middle of it too? Just going on TV or sending out a tweet doesn't fix it.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   

If this was accidental in nature, then this serves to highlight problems in the system that, to me, should have been anticipated.

There is apparently no recall function for an alert at the state level. There is also apparently no quick lines of communication between those who are responsible for sending out such an alert and the recipients of said message.

If they went into CYA mode as opposed to "oh snip, we need to let people know" mode, then there we have the 37 minutes. Oddly coincidental that also happens to be the approximate flight time between NK and Hawaii.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

It took them 37(38?) minutes to put out the official retraction. Can you imagine how much longer it would've taken if the President got involved in the middle of it too? Just going on TV or sending out a tweet doesn't fix it.

I'd hate to see the Potus get involved because he'd probably tweet something else stupid, leading to WW3.

That may sound political, but as much as I don't like it, politics is involved here.

That false alarm may have started with the State of Hawaii, but it would be appropriate, imho, for Potus to put out some kind of statement himself, rather than hide behind the White House statement which read that he'd been 'briefed.'

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: dianajune

I'd hate to see the Potus get involved because he'd probably tweet something else stupid, leading to WW3.

That may sound political, but as much as I don't like it, politics is involved here.

That false alarm may have started with the State of Hawaii, but it would be appropriate, imho, for Potus to put out some kind of statement himself, rather than hide behind the White House statement which read that he'd been 'briefed.'

It didn't sound that political, just dumb. WW3 isn't gonna start with a tweet, the DNC has you brainwashed.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical

If this was accidental in nature, then this serves to highlight problems in the system that, to me, should have been anticipated.

That's actually been the entire point of everything I've said on this issue.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   
So what are the chances a ballistic missile was indeed inbound but got shot down and this is craw fishing to save from a panic?

Safer to alert the island just in case they couldn't shoot it down no?

Or is that just nutty?
edit on 14-1-2018 by Gumerk because: clarification

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I noticed most of the MSM reports label it a MISTAKE
rather than FALSE ALARM.

How would they already know it was a 'mistake'?

Hardly, as it was a distractioan from something major that was going on concurrently, in another area of the world (mideast).

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: dianajune

It didn't sound that political, just dumb. WW3 isn't gonna start with a tweet, the DNC has you brainwashed.

Sorry, I can think for myself, thank you very much.

No brainwashing going on here, and I can't stand the DNC.

Trump was stupid to say "my nuclear button is bigger than Kim's and it works." That's not conducive to a peace treaty between us and North Korea. He's said many other things on that website that make me question his ability to remain in office.

He needs to stop complaining about that book and address the people of Hawaii directly. He needs to put in his two cents worth re. what happened yesterday. That he doesn't make me wonder even more about him.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Good news!

They've tracked down who it was that made that nasty mistake.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: VariableConstant

Pushed the wrong button, no way.

If there was malicious intent I would think it would have been at the level of the one pushing the button. Making a statement or something, but they would know when the time would be right to do.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Back in October U-Hawaii sent a "In case of nuclear attack" email to staff and students that blew up in their face.

As it happened, Meisenzahl said, university officials have been getting inquiries for the past few months about a possible North Korean nuclear threat. So they wanted to send a message that would be responsive.

“If I were to do it all over again, the one thing I would have done is put ‘unlikely’ in the subject line,” Meisenzahl said. He then added that he also might have put into all caps: “NO REASON FOR ALARM” and other language to the effect of, “Don’t take this the wrong way.”

“The subject line could use some work,” he concluded.

He quipped that he’d been dealing for several hours with “the fallout from a nuclear email.” He would much prefer if the world took note of the university for its high-level oceanography, astronomy and other academic programs.

www.washingtonpost.com...

Additionally, it was reported on December 17 that Hawaii was reestablishing a 30yr old Cold War warning system with updated "alert to text" messages to residents presumably everything that just transpired.

IMO there are several scenarios that could have brought forth the false alarm such as inexperience with an out dated system and the corresponding learning curve. To simply measuring citizen response to said alarm. One thing is for sure, anything like this had always required several steps to prevent an accidental alert going out.

I tend to believe there was some level of malicious intent. The reason for this belief was that it was reported that one employee accidently sent it out and will be "retrained". So if it was as simple as hitting a button, what kind of training is involved?

Go to the chalk board and write 200 times "I will not push the wrong button". Sheesh.
edit on 14-1-2018 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 05:10 PM
link   

I stand by my conclusion that the 37-38 minutes it took to get the information out that it was a false alarm was intentional.

Local News could have had the info out in minutes -- even if the *automatic* cell phone alert system was somehow unable to be used -- which is laughable.

Am I supposed to believe that when a Flash Flood or Tsunami warning is issued, it takes 38 minutes to send a cell phone alert because the system was used recently to send out another alert?

Just send an alert that says, "False Alarm."

If you want to believe the system was somehow critically unusable and going through some *manual* method would take 30 minutes or so...go ahead. I just can't do it.

We have to agree to disagree on this.

Also, for anyone thinking the 37-38 minute gap was intentional, like me...I found the comments on the Hawaii Governor's FB page to be so interesting: David Ige

ETA: I love the guy that left this comment to the governor: "I’m opening a lawsuit against you sir."

So much more polite than I would be.
edit on 1/14/2018 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I enjoy watching Pastor JD Farag (Calvary Chapel Kaneohe) Mid-East Prophecy Updates every Sunday. Here is a link to this morning's update, which was devoted to the false alarm in Hawaii:

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: penfold
I couldn’t help thinking that this could have been an experiment to see how the population would react in a real life doomsday scenario, This information would be invaluable to governments when formulating plans for evacuation and damage limitation.

Precisely. And one more thing which is of absolutely crucial note here:

Hawaii is a CLOSED ENVIRONMENT.

The chaos, the panic - it cannot spill over into anything which affects the continental United States. There's a frickin' huge ocean in the way. This was a test of population response to the knowledge that fiery death was about to descend from the skies, and that there was apparently very little they could do to prevent it. How does the population respond to such dire warnings? This is, as you say, INVALUABLE information in the modern world. Because they have a bunch of data concerning INFORMATIONAL SPREAD too, not just the on-the-ground responses of people in the 'kill zone'.

But again - closed system. The entirety of the response across all sectors of government, industry & general population can be assessed as easily as if it were conducted in a sterile laboratory. It is PRISTINE DATA, and who knows - maybe the information itself will be auctioned off to governments around the world, once all the analysis has been completed. It would be valuable to ANY government around the world, not just the US. So maybe it's a test specifically for analysis of the US model & response - but once all is packaged up, it can be sold on as a 'how to/what to expect' model for study by any nation state which has a Western outlook.

PS - to the OP. It's interesting to note that you have prime deep state agents here in the thread, telling us in no uncertain terms that this was a government test. (Any time that they show up & try to make you feel stupid while telling everyone else there's "...nothing to see here" - you know it was a government test...)

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyInTheOintment

This makes a tremendous amount of sense and fits with what is known about the entities who would have reason to do such.

One thing I find interesting in reading the Facebook comments in MME's link is that not everyone received the notification on their TV screens, yet we know that it did indeed go out on some TVs.

I was wondering if this was limited to only one of the islands of or it was seen across the entire chain; recall that Hawaii consists of a chain of volcanic islands and so the message might have only shown on a limited number of devices on a particular island. Does anyone local know more about this?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join