It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Psychedelic drugs could prevent criminals from re-offending, claims study.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: nightbringr

I misunderstood nothing. There is a reason I used the word "probably" to write my hypothesis.

And stimulants are the opposite. They simulate the CNS.

Are you suggesting those on coc aine, meth and mdma are stimulating, positive people? Hey, we are taking things literally here, right?

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   

I'm not "suggesting" anything. I merely posited a passing thought I had without researching it first and caveated it with a "probably" to CYA. If you want to officially debunk my thought, feel free but please use sources and hold the snark/arrogance. I'm not interested if you can't talk to me like an adult.
edit on 24-10-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Well psychedelics sure make you more sociable.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

Sure, that's because you're telling everyone to look at the Sun because you can see the God Ra.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   

you taking the oil or just smoking it , a person I know creates the oils for cancer patients and MS sufferers , rhumatoid arthritis , fybro malgyia , and a host of other ailments and they all help those people with pain.

Its more potent if purified and eaten

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Indeed, remember? They were called "Love Ins".

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

Sure, that's because you're telling everyone to look at the Sun because you can see the God Ra.

Nah. They turn you into a Mogwai.

"Bright light! Bright light!"

More of a night time thing.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
It's not true.
Drugs do 2 things to a person.
1. Make that person sick
2. Make that person evil and do bad things in life.

LOL
Drugs can heal too...derp...

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: bgerbger

If the criminals did not reoffend they would not have their corporate free underclass as a work force.. Prisons are big business. Keep the punters coming in.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

I believe this drug will be used to control future political prisoners so they can be silenced without being killed.
edit on 10/24/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

crack coc aine and private prisons a marriage made in heaven aka the USA

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

originally posted by: BeefNoMeat

a reply to: Krazysh0t

If we are being honest, the world was far, far better while opiates were easier to get. Now people have moved on to the real devil in pharmaceuticals: benzo's.

Lol, wut? You’re being facetious, right?

Nope.

My own personal observation, painkillers are not the problem that benzo's are.

Fair enough, if we're keeping it anecdotal. I don't discount the misuse of any substance and associated impacts -- I can't speak to your observation.

Problem is, you said:

If we are being honest, the world was far, far better while opiates were easier to get. Now people have moved on to the real devil in pharmaceuticals: benzo's.

Being honest requires the truth. I'd posit, observational data points at the CDC/NIH (or anyone bothering to research misuse of substances) are far, far, closer to the truth than "personal observation". So, no, you weren't being honest, you were simply equating a personal observation (probably more likely an actual experience -- directly or indirectly), and that's fine and dandy. I don't wish any of the costs/impacts from the misuse of any substances onto anyone, but this thread is somewhat attempting to point out the policy implications of allowing the use of certain substances, or at the very least the counterfactual to prohibition of certain substances, as it relates to recidivism, and you broke out the old "If we are being honest" to make the assertion Opioid/Opiates aren't the societal problem benzos are. Really? Just expected more from you. The data clearly shows us the "real devil" is the misuse of Opioid/Opiates. And it's orders of magnitude more costly.

At any rate, the clinicians and researchers at MAPS are carrying a lot of water for these efforts, and if we are going to be honest and work towards harm reduction -- employing other means of dealing with the misuse of substances -- we just might get a more nuanced-approach from policymakers when addressing mental health issues and the possibility these substances (per the OP) could change behavior. I hope it happens. It appears there is growing momentum.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   

You've never seen any curl into a fetal position suckling their thumb and whimpering then.

Keep in mind, psychedelics can be amazing experiences, terrifying experiences, and everything in between.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82

you taking the oil or just smoking it , a person I know creates the oils for cancer patients and MS sufferers , rhumatoid arthritis , fybro malgyia , and a host of other ailments and they all help those people with pain.

Its more potent if purified and eaten

Trust me when I say I don't lack experience, it's simply never been anything that helped me with pain.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: bgerbger

Maybe there is a connection between tripping on acid and messianic tendencies?

Same area of the brain gets activated - the reward circuits for drugs, sex, music love as well as religion.

bigthink.com...

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

People can eat it if it makes you feel better

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
a reply to: musicismagic

Tobacco is not a drug, it is a grass that can be smoked with limited health effects

True enough... tobacco isn't a drug. It is chock full of the drug nicotine though.... hence the reason that people use it. They continue to use it because nicotine is as addictive as heroin.

As far as smoking grass... I get tired of hearing that lighting anything on fire and inhaling the smoke is natural. Not arguing against doing it... I'm just saying that it isn't natural.

How would you personally define natural, if I may ask? Where is the line between natural and not natural?

soulwaxer

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   

a reply to: Krazysh0t

Now people have moved on to the real devil in pharmaceuticals: benzo's.

Doctors had my mother on those for years. She eventually found out it was never meant to be prescribed for anything close to that amount of time. She started working on getting off some of her medications. The benzo especially. It took a few years for her to safely wean herself off of it entirely. During that time, she joined an online support group for others trying to do the same. Truly nightmare fueling experiences these people go through, while that fat cats keep prescribing it and cashing in. My mother eventually found a doctor that supported her, and helped her. She actually had it pretty easy compared to some of the people in her support group... And that's saying a crazy thought to consider.

Benzos are the devils work!

IMO opinion they are clearly designed to keep people on them, or dead.

It is my understanding that going cold turkey after depending on them so long can kill you. I could be wrong though. There was a person in her group that ended up killing himself because he couldn't wean himself off, after multiple attempts. You have to do it in such small dosages, it is ridiculous.

For anyone wondering my mom is not the kind of person that misuses, let alone abuses, substances of any kind.

As for opiates, I have seen them destroy a lot of lives too. Just in a different way.

edit on 10-24-2017 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: vinifalou

It's not true.
Drugs do 2 things to a person.
1. Make that person sick
2. Make that person evil and do bad things in life.

What drugs do that?

Alcohol?
Tobacco?
Coffee?
Coke?
Meds?

Sorry
Drugs in this case is not meds
Drugs or dope or what ever you want to call it is what I'm referring it too
Alcohol is not a drug, it is a dope
Tobacco is not a drug, it is a grass that can be smoked with limited health effects
Coffee was a drug for the rich in the 1800's in England
Medications are man made and sold as a product for profit
Could you be more specifically?

You are very ignorant.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Athough not impressive the figures are remarkable. The game changer here is a sense of belonging. Something positive and cathartic is always a blessing, even if it involves stigmas.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join