It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Psychedelic drugs could prevent criminals from re-offending, claims study.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 06:16 AM
link   
More good news for the potential therapeutic uses of psychedelic drugs. It is a wonder these drugs have been criminalised for so long considering the potential benefits which are being documented in a clinical setting.

www.ibtimes.com...

For decades now, researchers and scientists have been investigating the positive effects of drugs that have been declared illegal by most governments around the world. Among these illicit drugs are psychedelics like magic mushrooms, '___', and mescaline, which data suggests could be useful in reducing the antisocial and criminal tendencies among humans.

A recent study in the Journal of Psychopharmacology used 13 years of data, collected from over 480,000 adults in the United States, as part of the Department of Health and Human Services’ annual National Survey on Drug Use and Health.

The data for the years 2002-2014 suggests that lifetime use of classic psychedelic drugs reduced the odds of people committing a crime. For instance, chances of having indulged in theft or larceny in the preceding year were found to be 27 percent less for psychedelic users than others, while the chance of being arrested for such crimes was found to be 22 percent lower. Similarly, psychedelic users showed 12 percent lower odds for committing violent crimes and 18 percent lower odds for being arrested for them.

UBC’s Zach Walsh, co-author of the recent paper, said in a statement Monday: “These findings add to a growing body of research suggesting that use of classic psychedelics may have positive effects for reducing antisocial behavior. They certainly highlight the need for further research into the potentially beneficial effects of these stigmatized substances for both individual and public health.”

There have been other studies showing that certain psychedelic compounds can help with depression, terminal diseases, and those with severe addctions to opiates and alcohol. Hopefully these studies will be continued as they seem to be potentially revolutionary treatments.
edit on 24-10-2017 by bgerbger because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 06:20 AM
link   
It's not true.
Drugs do 2 things to a person.
1. Make that person sick
2. Make that person evil and do bad things in life.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: bgerbger

So is this just violent crime? Cause I tend to speed a bit with work and all, a hit of a#id and I should be sitting at a nice, legal 65?

Eta
I do think there is something to be said regarding psychtropics and guided, culturally based practices where their use expands the participants awareness within a socio/religious construct.

For my part, I see a benefit in general not just in dampening criminal behavior.
edit on 24-10-2017 by BlueJacket because: Eta

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 06:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
It's not true.
1. Make that person sick

What drugs do that?

Alcohol?
Tobacco?
Coffee?
Coke?
Meds?

Could you be more specific?

Anyway, glad we are finally studying what our ancestors already knew thousands of years ago.

Mankind need to reconnect with nature and understand that we're a huge family.
edit on 24/10/2017 by vinifalou because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 06:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: vinifalou

originally posted by: musicismagic
It's not true.
1. Make that person sick

What drugs do that?

Alcohol?
Tobacco?
Coffee?
Coke?
Meds?

Sorry
Drugs in this case is not meds
Drugs or dope or what ever you want to call it is what I'm referring it too
Alcohol is not a drug, it is a dope
Tobacco is not a drug, it is a grass that can be smoked with limited health effects
Coffee was a drug for the rich in the 1800's in England
Medications are man made and sold as a product for profit
Could you be more specifically?

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Dude tells Dr he feels like committing a crime.
Dr prescribes a QP of Caps and sends him home.
Dude trips hard and puts his car through the front of a house.
Dr hailed as hero because the guy didnt steal.

jk, kind of an odd idea though.

I did see a good Doc on the use of MDMA as a treatment for PTSD and other ailments.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Due to bad governments and their questionable decision making over certain things, the sheer negligence in not researching these drugs sooner is yet another crime

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Timothy Leary figured stuff like this out in the 60's, then ignorant Republicans *cough*Nixon*cough* demonized the drug because it was associated with the hippy movement and stunted Psychology's development back decades.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, coc aine, opiates, meds, coffee, psychedelics, MDMA, and even meth are all drugs. Dope is just a negative slang term people who don't want to learn what these drugs do use to demonize them with.
edit on 24-10-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 07:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Timothy Leary figured stuff like this out in the 60's, then ignorant Republicans *cough*Nixon*cough* demonized the drug because it was associated with the hippy movement and stunted Psychology's development back decades.

Despite Leary's background in psychology and science, and his 'set and setting' methods, he also preached a kind psychedelic gospel to the masses which encouraged mass usage (and not always safe usage) of psychedelics. Partially due to Leary's influence, any research with these chemicals was shut down, and only now are we seeing a resurgence of sanctioned studies.

Leary worked with the CIA prior to his 'conversion', and some believe he may have been an agent all along.

therearenosunglasses.wordpress.com...

In my opinion this is better than mass consumption in an uncontrolled environment.
edit on 24-10-2017 by bgerbger because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 07:10 AM
link   

What if that was just a side effect of not understanding the drug fully. I mean Leary was doing his thing before we had Acid casualties like Syd Barrett.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Define "dope".

a reply to: Krazysh0t

Alcohol isn't a drug. It is an Intoxicant.
edit on 24-10-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Tobacco is not a drug, it is a grass that can be smoked with limited health effects

True enough... tobacco isn't a drug. It is chock full of the drug nicotine though.... hence the reason that people use it. They continue to use it because nicotine is as addictive as heroin.

As far as smoking grass... I get tired of hearing that lighting anything on fire and inhaling the smoke is natural. Not arguing against doing it... I'm just saying that it isn't natural.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 07:14 AM
link   

You may well be correct in that summation.

I think people like Leary tended to go off on messianic trips, and the government saw previously respectable academics turning into acid proselytisers, definitely not conducive to a rational discussion on anybody's part.

Not sure if you have seen this book, definitely worth a read if you haven't.

www.amazon.com...

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 07:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Define "dope".

Alcohol isn't a drug. It is an Intoxicant. [/quote

Dope is a drug that can send your butt to jail or prison .

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Define "dope".

Alcohol isn't a drug. It is an Intoxicant.

Not according to these people.

adf.org.au...

What is alcohol? Alcohol is a depressant drug, which means it slows down the messages travelling between the brain and the body.1

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Just like the Ludovico technique in that documentary by Stanley Kubrick, A Clockwork Orange.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I haven't read anything about the research advocating keeping one's eyelids open whilst showing gruesome footage, but it did work a treat in the Kubrick film, did it not?

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: bgerbger
I haven't read anything about the research advocating keeping one's eyelids open whilst showing gruesome footage, but it did work a treat in the Kubrick film, did it not?

Everything always does, that's why his the master.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 07:34 AM
link   

lifetime use of psychedelic drugs reduced the odds of people committing a crime.

i.e. -TPTB will begin their beta testing of prisoners first before it's rolled out into the mainstream with full-blown lobotomies and shock treatments for the indigenous population...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join