It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Firearms resolution to soon be passed.

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

I hadn't even thought about "dead spots". I don't do wireless if I can avoid it. So that hadn't even occurred to me...talk about inconvenient.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

...talk about inconvenient.

Just slightly lol.

Even if you could merge WiFi, GPS and radio signals, there would still be dead spots.

Then there’s portable WiFi system spoofing (tricking the signal into thinking you’re somewhere you’re not). Just another way for crims to get around a chip system.

The idea sounds all nice and fuzzy for cutting down on gun crime, but when you really think about it you can see more and more flaws with it.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   

See then we have to think. Do LEOs and the military have weapons free of this? If so, what happens to the armourers who leave the military? They could make a mint, freeing guns up. OR could cause huge issues by taking networks out, and locking guns up.

The reason guns kill so well, is they are simple, mechanical devices. They direct chemical energy, in a linear way. Start adding technology, and you get problems. People who rely on the technology are nerfed when it goes away.

As mentioned, there are all the unregistered guns out there. How does one bring them in? The merest sniff of that happening, would get 2nd ammendment activists all sweaty and angry.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I could think of a hundred different models of firearms created from 1903-2017 that this fantasy "gps firing pin blocker" would not be able to be used in, but we will just look at one here.

The ubiquitous AR-15 carbine, chambered in 5.56/.223.

Anything capable of pulling off what the OP claims would have to be something just a little wider than a grain of rice, and maybe about as long. Nothing else would be able to fit into the bolt carrier where the firing pin sits, and i'm not entirely sure where it could go in *there*, either.

So let's start making our wündercraft, shall we? So into this little tiny volume of a cooked grain of rice, you have to fit:

A. the mechanical doodad that actually blocks the firing pin
B. the actuating mechanism/servo that physically moves that doodad
C. A power supply of some kind
D. the processor/CPU
E. GPS Antenna

I'm sure I've forgotten something, but just with what's listed in here you can see the impossibility (with current non-nanotech solutions) with the task.

The problem is not the antenna, nor the cpu, it's the rest of it. Any mechanical system capable of blocking the force that firing pin imparts to the primer of a cartridge would not be able to fit in such a small volume, nor would it be able to withstand the constant jarring impact of the hammer. Metallurgical technology isn't there, and battery technology isn't there yet, either.

OP: know why we don't have electrically fired guns in common use today? Because the non-electrically fired weapons work better, are easier to maintain, and are more reliable. Your friends teaching Krav Maga in between neuron-smashing sessions in the think-tank's hollowed out volcano lair are wrong and out of touch.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Noinden

If you ignore all the other issues mentioned (which there are plenty), the whole idea is a 2nd amendment and privacy violation.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Which is why this is click bait. It was posted to angry the gun folks blood up.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: netwarrior

Just add that to the list of the many other problems with the idea.

The OP has already admitted to it being a click bait thread and the list of issues that makes this a non starter just keeps growing.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

Your claim actually makes a lot of sense.

I didn't read the whole thread so I don't know your source for this info but at least theoretically something like this could come into existence.

It is technologically feasible as well.

Hmmmm thanks for sharing your concerns (or warning).

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Also to add:

I think that old guns probably cannot be modified for this purpose (that seems near impossible for various reasons), but new firearms could be designed around this requirement.

In order to really make the old guns obsolete, I think passing laws about Ammunition would be key.

You could basically make it illegal to produce modern ammo, and enforce it strictly. All new GPS weapons would use new types of ammo, which of course wouldn't work on old guns. All old guns would eventually run out of ammo over time (maybe 100 years?) and finding ammo for it would become increasingly difficult, expensive, and not feasible.

Since people can make their own ammo in their basement, the government would have to conduct crackdowns for a few decades to really clean the streets of these producers and make the entire idea of production so risky that few if anyone would entertain it.

By switching over to new ammo standards, the new firearms would become the norm and slowly over a hundred years 99%+ of all the guns out there would be the new standard while the 20th century firearms would be relegated to display cases and such. You just gotta outlaw the manufacture of any ammo that works on any of the non-compliant gun models.

This also has to be a worldwide standard because we can't have anyone running a black market supply chain for old ammo.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Of course, in my dystopian vision, during this 100 year period where the transition to complete control occurs, all civil rights would be eroded into obscurity and the population would be conditioned to hate the very concept of civil rights while, in their minds, actually supporting "rights". Sorta like today but way more severe in degree.

At some point the concept of having internet-connected cameras inside every house, including in every restroom/bathroom, would need to be implemented (for our safety of course). Law abiding citizens wouldn't have anything to worry about because the govt would only tap into the database of camera footage to catch criminals doing bad guy stuff right? So of course it's a great idea and all good people worldwide would agree (we just wanna be safe from ourselves after all).

And rather than courts as we have them today, we could shift more towards the military tribunal model, and since the state would have information superiority and know everything already, there isn't going to be a need for lawyers or even a defense team anymore. In fact, I'm not even sure why we'd have prosecutors, because the judge could just review all the data and determine your guilt/innocence. Maybe the judge could be an AI computer rather than a human too, to ensure fairness?

Yes, it sounds great. Everyone's gonna love this (except the bad guys of course).

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

There is no source, just his imagination.

As for it being feasible? It really isn’t. The capabilities of GPS alone wouldn’t be able to do what’s needed.

I suggest you read through the thread and you’ll see how many flaws there actually are with his idea.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I've thought about writing a thread about that, maybe I should sometime and include the GPS gun concept into it. But to make it really clever, I'll add AI control of those guns into the mix. Eventually only robots would be allowed to have firearms but that will be like 2150 or something by the time the population is dumbed down enough to accept that.

It will be a technocratic Artificial Intelligence run autocracy.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 09:21 PM
link   

I'm not concerned with the thread anymore actually.

I'm off in sci-fi land now.
It's totally possible, especially considering particle beam rifles etc.

Think outta the box here and consider totally redesigning everything to fit around a total-control scenario.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Even if the OP wrote pure fiction, it inspired me to take that fiction and revamp it to something that would make a really great movie.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash

Even if the OP wrote pure fiction, it inspired me to take that fiction and revamp it to something that would make a really great movie.

There’s already a few.

RoboCop, for example.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   

It's totally possible,

It’s really not.

GPS tech is limited in coverage and couldn’t handle the extra millions of connections.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79

It's totally possible,

It’s really not.

GPS tech is limited in coverage and couldn’t handle the extra millions of connections.

First you're wrong about Robocop.
That's a war torn Detroit scenario where weapons are ubiquitous.

Think something more like Demolition Man where the world is all super peaceful and no one knows anything about guns, but instead of humans running it an AI computer would run it.

About "tech being limited" that's all shortmindedenss. Tech advances. Quantum computers (or similar tech) will be able to handle everything just fine and make intelligent decisions about all of that data. Asking questions, solving problems, etc.

Everything will be GPS tracked, not just guns. Every can of soda or shoelace or anything you can imagine, will be incorporated into the Net so that total complete control by the AI becomes possible. In that perfect world, people will be charged with a very serious crime for throwing that soda can onto the ground. What they do in the restroom will be regulated and standardized.

Sci-fi today is Sci-reality tomorrow.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   

The world knows about weapons, so your analogy is flawed, just like the OPs ideas.

RoboCop had a GPS tracked weapon with enable/disable functions, along with finger print recognition.

And yes, the techs limited. We’re a very long way away from “everything being GPS tracked”.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Yet the fact remains this tech shall NOT effect any gun with no electronic firing mechanism (which is most of them). So this is a very limited idea. Also the tech does not exist.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79

The world knows about weapons, so your analogy is flawed, just like the OPs ideas.

RoboCop had a GPS tracked weapon with enable/disable functions, along with finger print recognition.

And yes, the techs limited. We’re a very long way away from “everything being GPS tracked”.

But that was just Robocops' gun though right?
Well when I said you were 'wrong' I meant about the theme of the Dystopian vision.
Because I don't think any weapons had GPS in Demolition Man.
(War-torn vs Peaceful).

So that way we are both right and both wrong, depending.
edit on 10/17/2017 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join