It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN claims Russia used Pokemon Go to undermine election

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   
The Russians are using anime to start a war between the US and NK.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

So you forfeit again? How many times is this now? I took all of your MSM pages on, even went that extra mile digging into the links inside them posted my progress as I went.

Note I rarely get pissed about these things until it becomes apparent that the tactics are all a ruse to waste my time.

Unlike you guys I dont run from every real challenge.

But there's hardly a greater offense to me than my time being wasted.
edit on 14-10-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable

Really? How so?

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Send that to CNN. See if they run a story on it.

50% chance I reckon after the drivel in the OP.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

You did notice that the actual CNN article didn’t make the claims that the OP stated, right?

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   

See, now that wouldn't be as bizarre sounding as this story here.

First, okay lets assume Russia is TRULY out to get US. Because that's what we're talking about here. DO they really want to see US torn apart from the inside? Maybe. MAYBE. I'm sure they'd like to see US squirm.

But lets assume they want US torn and tattered on the brink of internal civil war and external nuclear war. Okay well first of all we dont nee their help in that, we're doing fine all on our own unless they're to blame for SJW Movement and/or the situation we've been trolling NK for decades on.

Fine we'll go there....

What makes the Pokemon story so instantly absurd sounding isn't the leap of imagination I just described.

It isn't the idea of using kiddie themed video games as propaganda tools.

It isn't the institutional non-trustworthiness of the "sources" of "the story" itself.

And it isn't even about the merits of there being troll armies in the world (there ARE at home and abroad against US as a People).

(not that all of that doesn't factor into the equation...)

It's the whole idea that helping BLM helps Trump (when radicalization is already their open overt primary objective). Its YOU GUYS (liberal armada from the top all the way to the tools in this site) that makes this story so bizarre.

Either Russia was out to hurt the left and help the right / Trump, or they want to cause internal conflicts, but said liberal horde you cant have it both ways. Not after all the posturing and hysteria and all out BS the past year concerning Russia & Trump etc.

And you know what, MAYBE Russia did do it. Maybe Russia wants our society fractured. The sad thing is after all of the liberal TRUMPOCALYPSE hysteria the past year, we (non-liberal-SJW-wackos) just cant take you guys seriously anymore.

Unless perhaps you might be willing to actually admit that maybe Russia wasn't trying to help Trump all along, that they were just stirring the pot, if you all could admit as a POSSIBILITY that your Trump = Russia Narrative maybe it was never true then maybe you guys could be taken seriously again.

I know I can admit that maybe it was, and maybe it wasn't, and that this story could actually be true.

But can any of ye liberal horde do the same? How important is this pokemon story to you? O r should I say how important is the truth to you? That's the only question that should matter to anyone, but my impression around here all too often the ACTUAL TRUTH is the last thing too many actually care anything about.

edit on 14-10-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Here, once again, is the essence of the only claim that CNN article actually said about Pokémon Go:

The donotshoot.us website in turn links to a Tumblr account. In July 2016, this Tumblr account announced a contest encouraging readers to play Pokémon Go, the augmented reality game in which users go out into the real world and use their phones to find and "train" Pokémon characters.

Specifically, the Don't Shoot Us contest directed readers to go to find and train Pokémon near locations where alleged incidents of police brutality had taken place. Users were instructed to give their Pokémon names corresponding with those of the victims.

A post promoting the contest showed a Pokémon named "Eric Garner," for the African-American man who died after being put in a chokehold by a New York Police Department officer. Winners of the contest would receive Amazon gift cards, the announcement said.

If that’s too complicated ... the CNN article states that a Tumblr account was used to make an offer that apparently involved Pokémon Go.

There is ZERO claim that Pokémon Go itself was used by anyone; backed up by the game manufacturer.

Further, CNN states very clearly that even this Tumblr attempt didn’t accomplish anything:

CNN has not found any evidence that any Pokémon Go users attempted to enter the contest, or whether any of the Amazon Gift Cards that were promised were ever awarded -- or, indeed, whether the people who designed the contest ever had any intention of awarding the prizes.

money.cnn.com...

Feel free to keep mindlessly babbling: those are the facts of this topic and thread.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Are you kidding me? This game of twister you've been playing has been 'oh well we dont now if anyone actually used it'?

Is that even worth talking about? Millions of people are being exposed to the headline 'RUSSIA DID TEH POKEMON AND 0WNED US", like anybody is internalizing whether it was actually effective.

Nope.

Meanwhile, In July 2016 Hillary did speech(es) saying 'we need to use teh pokemon to 0wn the election'. So is Russia marching to her drummer, or what?

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   
How is anyone even arguing against this?

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 12:19 PM
link   
in fact we used tetris and not in 2016 but much earlier

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Who here truly doubts that BLM people would ever set up the Pokemon Go thing just as it was?

Not me... why are you asking? Anyone who knows some graphic design could have made the poster. I don't think anyone here has even said a good word about BLM. I feel like you're arguing with the whole liberal left, or your idea of it. Please come and argue with us instead.

a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

BLM leaders have their own agendas, and Russian leaders have their own agendas. Those agendas are probably very different, for a lot of reasons; one reason is that Russia is a country, and BLM is an activist organization, asymmetry. But that doesn't mean those agendas could never, ever overlap. They absolutely will overlap, because we're all just humans in the end, because the world is complex and redundant, and also because they have one significant thing in common; both are looking to change the American status quo. So we get weird, seemingly contradictory situations like this, where the same course of action could have been pursued by either one. It's happened before, like when the US started cooperating with Islamist mujaheddin (both wanted exert influence in Russia's sphere of power), in spite of big differences in their ideologies. Then the US could, for example, have made a campaign to radicalize Muslim youth in Central Asia, only they'd have themed it around goats, or whatever, instead of Pokemon.

I don't see how you get to Russia working for Hillary though, that's a new one. US and Russia are pretty separate power blocks, it'd be very strange if the Russian state worked for a particular candidate in America, when there's are huge tensions driving things in the background. Maybe your Magnum Opus sheds more light on this, I'll try to read it but I'm also trying to limit my social media time, I just get pulled into it too much, like you guys can see from how long this is getting, lol.

That wasn't the story though, like Gryph pointed out.

I want to say just because some of us don't participate in the echo box that was the first couple pages of this thread, it doesn't mean we're shills.

I don't care too much about poor people or black people either. I mean, I'd like them to be happy and safe, but it's not something I spend any amount of time or money on, I'm not pretending to be some sort of hero or martyr. I care more about what the world is going to look like politically in 50 years or 100 years, though there isn't much I can do to affect the outcome. I keep thinking about this; when war comes the first casualty is truth. I get that you see the Western elite as a bigger threat than Russia, to your ideals. I guess that's the big difference between us. But even if I'm wrong about the big picture, that doesn't make you right about this thread, and you can't fight fire with fire. When I say that I mean that you see this Russian issue as a distraction from the elite's agenda, so you don't want to believe that Russia could be doing anything shady, or at least you want to downplay that possibility. And so you do what you are accusing the other users of doing, you try to deflect and create straw men.

I know it's weird of me to be defending CNN so hard. I don't care about them either, but I'm fascinated by all these PSYOPS and I still believe in the West. Sorry if I end up sounding snarky, I just want to be on the safe side of not censoring myself. I think it's been a decent discussion at least, no unwarranted trolling. I think it helps me think, arguing here. And I worry about tech immortality too, but I don't see this reactionism of the last few years is going to help us rein the elites in. One thing I gotta admit is that I come across as an establishment ally here; I mostly only bother to comment to things I don't agree with, and on this site, in this day and age, it usually pits me against Trump. I'm just a contrarian I guess.

Thank you, hopefully you'll like this one too. Once in a while I just get stuck on something and spend several hours writing posts. I wish I could learn to harness this capacity into something more useful for me personally, ha.

And you know what, MAYBE Russia did do it. Maybe Russia wants our society fractured. The sad thing is after all of the liberal TRUMPOCALYPSE hysteria the past year, we (non-liberal-SJW-wackos) just cant take you guys seriously anymore.

This is gonna seem like I'm quote mining you to make it look like you defaulted, but here goes; kudos for admitting the possibility

It's the whole idea that helping BLM helps Trump (when radicalization is already their open overt primary objective). Its YOU GUYS (liberal armada from the top all the way to the tools in this site) that makes this story so bizarre.

Either Russia was out to hurt the left and help the right / Trump, or they want to cause internal conflicts, but said liberal horde you cant have it both ways. Not after all the posturing and hysteria and all out BS the past year concerning Russia & Trump etc.

BLM and Trump exist in the same political ecosystem. How could they not help each other? How could it be possible that they'd always hurt each other, never help, how could that be?

That's how it works. Trump wouldn't have gained traction if there wasn't social unrest. BLM grows bigger when Trump challenges them, and vice versa; it's not a zero sum game in this case, BLM grows from the moderate left, the alt-right from the moderate right. The ones smack in the middle (like me, perhaps), they are the ones you want to get to win an election. But they can be influenced by making your opponents look bad. I'm not saying this is what happened, the point is that several actors may want radicalization, it's not necessarily only BLM, in this case. Also keep in mind that no player is completely rational, and no one has access to complete information.

So the liberal horde can absolutely have it both ways, in this case.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   
[Continued]

Unless perhaps you might be willing to actually admit that maybe Russia wasn't trying to help Trump all along, that they were just stirring the pot, if you all could admit as a POSSIBILITY that your Trump = Russia Narrative maybe it was never true then maybe you guys could be taken seriously again.

This is what I've been saying pretty much, yay. I can't wait to be taken seriously again!

Helping Trump isn't a self-purpose for them, but naturally their efforts would help one candidate over the other one. A lot of people here where saying that Hillary would have started WWIII against Russia. If that's true then I can see why Russia would want to help Trump, would save them a lot of trouble.

To make myself clear: Stirring the pot is one thing they want to do, but that isn't a self-purpose, anymore than helping Trump is. Keeping up with the superheroes; Putin isn't Loki, he isn't messing with people just for #s and giggles. Helping Trump and causing polarization are just two means that might be useful to his ends; two central means, perhaps, but still just means.

This may be off topic, but all I want is for the alt-right to stop their denial of Russian ambitions, just because they fear it will delegitimize their cause. Maybe the MSM could stop using Russia to make Trump look bad too, but that's not a reasonable thing to ask as long as the right is making excuses; they're making themselves look complicit, like they're willing to risk US sovereignty and sully our liberty in order to achieve their goals.

I support a lot of those goals; I want to bring back jobs, I want freedom of speech, I want white Americans to be allowed to be proud, like any other race. I'm not really a Christian, but I believe in a lot of the associated values, and I strongly believe that Europe needs to change it's policy on immigration. Hell, I'm fine with the wall even, as long as they don't put #ing solar panels on it or pretend that Mexico is paying for it with tariffs.

But I still think Russia is politically #ed up, and the West shouldn't cater to their nostalgia for the old days of Soviet empire.

Ugh, next time I'll make my own thread.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   
POKEMON is being USED to shrink frontal cortexes,NOT propaganda ops...GET YOUR CONSPIRACIES STRAIGHT!

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

Klingon Pikachu:

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 06:01 PM
link   
PROOF Trump 0wned the election with teh Pokemon:

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Then it could have always been some smitten Japanese nationalists, funded by Nintendo as a long con underground viral marketing campaign.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Cutepants

BLASPHEMER!
And since I have yet to figure out the paper work ,but LAWS are now ARBITRARY, I am IDENTIFYING as a KLINGON being now.
IT REALLY saves time when they ask "WHAT'S WRONG with you" and apparently "organic brain damage" bothers norms worse...

edit on 14-10-2017 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-10-2017 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

The artwork is awesome, Klingon Being.

MajQa' !

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: ReadingOne

Qap'la.
it's fun for me.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link