It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN claims Russia used Pokemon Go to undermine election

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
a reply to: Cutepants

Okay, I've now visited rt.com which I didnt realize the OP link was to them.

And glad I did lots of funny memes about the story.

So then I went and googled for the CNN piece 'cnn putin pikachu', and noticed some other great coverage of the CNN piece.

One person pointed out: "guess Hillary was colluding with Russia then cause she told everyone to Pokemon Go go go to the polls".

Hey, that's right!

YEP!

And look at the date of that Hillary speech, July 14, 2016.

Now look at this:

All of these YouTube videos link back to a donotshoot.us website. This website was registered in March 2016 to a "Clerk York" in Illinois. Public records do not show any evidence that someone named Clerk York lives in Illinois. The street address and phone number listed in the website's registration belong to a shopping mall in North Riverside, Illinois.

The donotshoot.us website in turn links to a Tumblr account. In July 2016, this Tumblr account announced a contest encouraging readers to play Pokémon Go, the augmented reality game in which users go out into the real world and use their phones to find and "train" Pokémon characters. money.cnn.com...

Yep, definitely Russia no doubt about it.

edit on 13-10-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: imitator

Tune in to any of them. My wife had CBS on this morning, and I couldn't stop laughing. Its all just so hilarious. Trump, the things he says, the way people react, and the spin that the newsies put out there.

My wife didn't think it was funny....but i was in tears.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Lol. Thankfully my Mrs is on the same page as me with these clowns.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Cutepants

Yes.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   

In July 2016, this Tumblr account announced a contest encouraging readers to play Pokémon Go, the augmented reality game in which users go out into the real world and use their phones to find and "train" Pokémon characters. Specifically, the Don't Shoot Us contest directed readers to go to find and train Pokémon near locations where alleged incidents of police brutality had taken place.

Users were instructed to give their Pokémon names corresponding with those of the victims. A post promoting the contest showed a Pokémon named "Eric Garner," for the African-American man who died after being put in a chokehold by a New York Police Department officer. Winners of the contest would receive Amazon gift cards, the announcement said.

It's unclear what the people behind the contest hoped to accomplish, though it may have been to remind people living near places where these incidents had taken place of what had happened and to upset or anger them.

THAT is from my link provided earlier to the actual article at CNN Money. It is very plain to see that CNN did not claim that Pokémon Go was used to undermine the election as the OP claimed.

Further:

CNN has not found any evidence that any Pokémon Go users attempted to enter the contest, or whether any of the Amazon Gift Cards that were promised were ever awarded -- or, indeed, whether the people who designed the contest ever had any intention of awarding the prizes.

The OP and its source articles are frauds as stated.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: ausername

I am just waiting for a new left leaning study to come out concluding that if you are not antisemitic you may be a pro Russian troll . I heard about a study that claimed that boys had a advantage over girls in physics because they pee standing up and so developed a better understanding of projectile ... I kid you not ... Sad part of the story for me was that they didn't seem to include in their study that Muslim Men are taught to squat when they pee ... Oh well maybe a follow up study is in the works .

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
It is very plain to see that CNN did not claim that Pokémon Go was used to undermine the election as the OP claimed.

Helps if you provide the link as you quote:

Exclusive: Even Pokémon Go used by extensive Russian-linked meddling effort

money.cnn.com...

Nope, CNN made no such claim.

Truth is people remember the headlines, not the fine print at the end of the article.

You Won’t Finish This Article
Why people online don’t read to the end.
I’m going to keep this brief, because you’re not going to stick around for long. I’ve already lost a bunch of you. For every 161 people who landed on this page, about 61 of you—38 percent—are already gone. You “bounced” in Web traffic jargon, meaning you spent no time “engaging” with this page at all.

So now there are 100 of you left. Nice round number. But not for long! We’re at the point in the page where you have to scroll to see more. Of the 100 of you who didn’t bounce, five are never going to scroll. Bye!

OK, fine, good riddance. So we’re 95 now..........

And perception management professionals like at CNN know it.

edit on 13-10-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I knew you couldn't trust those little bastards.

He's hiding something for sure.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I provided the link earlier; you didn’t bother to read it.

Your material has nothing to do with the claims of the article ... which apparently, you still haven’t read.

I have not claimed that the CNN article is valid or not valid; what I have stated, clearly, and backed up from the article, is that it doesn’t make the claim that either OP or their RT source says it does.

You’ve already made it clear you don’t need to read articles to know what the contents are. You really have nothing to say in a factual discussion of the matter, although, that won’t stop you off-topic blather (and of course, shameless self-promotion.)

edit on 13-10-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Surreptitious Pikachu or not ... the actual article at CNN made no claims that Pokémon Go was used to influence the election, in fact, it states that there was no effect from the game.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Yes. I was giving this the seriousness that it deserves.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

Yes. I was giving this the seriousness that it deserves.

Shocking.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Although the Hollywood Rape Culture thread gave me an idea for a game. Predator Go. You run around Hollywood looking for rapists. "Gotta catch them all."

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

Although the Hollywood Rape Culture thread gave me an idea for a game. Predator Go. You run around Hollywood looking for rapists. "Gotta catch them all."

... and Washington DC, and New York, and London ... I guess the game’s final levels could happen in Rome/Vatican City.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   

It's in development. That beta test isn't until next year.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Well, the good thing is that there are plenty of betas around here to help you out.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   
those damn russians!

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   
All right, let's look at some of the facts here.

Russia’s far-ranging campaign to promote dissension in the United States reportedly included an effort to weaponize Pokémon Go.

CNN reported today that in July 2016, a Tumblr page linked to Russia’s now-notorious Internet Research Agency promoted a contest encouraging people sympathetic to the Black Lives Matter movement to play the game near famous sites of police brutality. Players were told to change their characters’ names to the victims of those incidents — an apparent effort to inflame racial tensions.

It seems as if the Tumblr page that was pretending to be sympathetic to Black Lives Matter was eventually linked to the Internet Research Agency, which is one of the organizations known to be used by Russia to interfere with the election in many different ways. I don't see how this news story is false.

The Agency encouraged supporters of Black Lives Matter ideals to play the game near famous sites of police brutality and change their character's names to victims of the incidents. This was done to inflame racial tensions.

I have done my own research and found that the Internet Research Agency has done things similar to this in many cases, setting up many different Facebook accounts pretending to be sympathetic to liberal causes, for example.

Is this interfering in the election? There is little doubt that it was part of Russia's effort to use the internet to influence America, although this particular incident is a small one, Russia's strategy was to create thousands of situations like this, including false news reports meant to manipulate conservatives into believing lies spread about many subjects, including Hillary.

I do agree that this post in itself had little effect on the election. But to say that it was not the Russians is ridiculous.

What I don't understand is why conservatives are all but cheering for this kind of interference, even going so far as to pretend that it didn't happen at all. Is it because Russia is helping their cause, and they want to look the other way? Or maybe conservatives are butthurt that they were manipulated?
edit on 13pmFri, 13 Oct 2017 14:07:07 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 13pmFri, 13 Oct 2017 14:08:16 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 13pmFri, 13 Oct 2017 14:09:28 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

In this context, now I can see who one of the players behin dthe scenes smearing crap all over our walls in the US is.

I mean, racial dissent didn't just come up out of nowhere. Not like this.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake

What I don't understand is why conservatives are all but cheering for this kind of interference, even going so far as to pretend that it didn't happen at all. Is it because Russia is helping their cause, and they want to look the other way? Or maybe conservatives are butthurt that they were manipulated?

To answer this specifically...i think it has more to do with the fact that once you make the debate an ideological one, people go all in on it. To challenge the ideological notions behind American political belief is to challenge the human egos attached.

Its why so many here still claim Trump is scoring "win after win" and that kind of nonsense. Its more about propping up the ego by convincing yourself of the lie that you didn't make a bad purchase. Its why people will recommend bad products to you, knowing that it was a bad product. Get you to buy it, it will just further bolster their ego in the face of the knowledge that they were suckered.

Same thing here.

But ill add: the DNC didn't help matters. They could have put Dukakis as their candidate and would have won. They could have had Jimmy Carter come out for another run, and still would have one. They chose the one candidate that couldn't beat anyone, and forced her onto the ticket. Had they kept the integrity of their parties primaries intact, we'd likely have President Sanders instead of President Trump.

And im not going to lie: he has been very entertaining. Its fun watching him piss people off to the degree he does. Counterproductive, but fun.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join