It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN claims Russia used Pokemon Go to undermine election

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Maintaining significant enough credibility with factual reporting to keep a broad exposure platform open for a mix of propaganda and psychological manipulation is something the Russians are far better at than their American counterparts.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj
a reply to: Gryphon66

Trust me...

Yeah, about that...

Does the CNN article claim what the RT article claims it does?

Yes or no?

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

It likely has to do with Malaysian Air flying into a black hole.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 07:36 AM
link   

What I heard was the most outlandish load of BS ever. I dont know what you heard. My immediate impression was a story showing BLM activities in a negative light, so that CNN dude went and spun the thing into it was all Russia's fault. It was so absurd just their clip alone there's no need to even bother going to read further articles about it, its that bad, we're talking about here. I played the clip, I heard no compelling ANYTHING about HOW it was Russia, just that BLM activists networked had a Pokemon GO front and that it distracted people on election day.

What was their rationale then if no actual link to actual Russian's, about the best I heard was details about how the places the game sent people was to locations of police shooting 'victims' and like the most hardcore proapganda concept of all time they were to recite the names of the 'victims', type BS.

That right there as evidence Russia was involved is INSANE. If Russia was trying to get Trump elected Why The F would they be programming people to be BLM crazies??????????????

Makes no freeking sense whatsoever.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Yes or no?

I didnt see the CNN nor the RT articles. CNN's clip alone was all I needed to discern what total rubbish this shia'ite was.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Thank you for your summary of impressions about the CNN article. I am not arguing for the accuracy of the CNN article.

I am merely stating that the CNN article DOES NOT SAY that Russian agents used Pokemon Go to affect the election as the RT article quoted by the OP says.
edit on 13-10-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Yes or no?

I didnt see the CNN nor the RT articles. CNN's clip alone was all I needed to discern what total rubbish this shia'ite was.

You didn't read either article under discussion?

Thanks for your honesty.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 07:41 AM
link   

VEEEEEERY SLOOOOOW if necessary for you ...
We will do it line per line if needed.

Let's start with the article title : "Even Pokémon Go used by extensive Russian-linked meddling effort".

First word : Even
Suggestion that beside the current story there are others (totally unproven) ingerence actions. For the record :
Burr: Russia probe will expose erroneous reporting

Intelligence Committee Chairman Richard Burr (R-N.C.) stopped short of endorsing Trump's Thursday morning call for a congressional investigation of the media. But Burr did predict that the final product of his panel's bipartisan inquiry into Moscow's disruption of the 2016 election would illustrate factual errors in some media reports on the issue.

"We're not going to investigate news organizations, but we will use the findings of our report to let the American people hold every news organization accountable for what they portrayed as fact, in many cases without sources — at least, no sources that would admit to it," Burr told POLITICO.

"And I think, when we finish our report, we will find that quite a few news organizations ran stories that were not factual," he added.

Second & third words : Pokémon GO
Obviously, Niantic augmented reality game.

Then "used by" : suggestion that the described action was intentional

"Extensive" : suggestion that beside the story being reported here, there might be other things as well

"Russian-linked" : now here is the pitfall when is comes to objective and factual considerations, given that we will never have any confirmation of the Russian origin of the attack nor that it was really the product of an official operation from the Russian authorities (Deep state trolls will kick in with Gerasimov doctrine in 3, 2, 1 ...).

Effort : "Thank you for your effort" is the first things that comes to mind but obviously do you think that this would - if confirmed independently by Niantic - have had any impact on the public ? An effort is not an achievment.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 07:45 AM
link   

a reply to: ReadingOne

Were you interested at all in the dishonest claims of the OP?

No, njet, nope, not for a second. Couldn't you tell?

CNN and this retarded Russia hysteria is just a joke to me - so I made a joke accordingly. Hope this clears things up for you.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: ausername

I dont have TV to watch them to even speak much to your assertion there. But I do know I notice clips of theirs like crazy with them covering stories and perspectives I know are the closest thing to truth than one could ever get watching typical MSM BS. I've noted they have guests like Ray McGovern on. People like that. People the MSM want nothing to do with. Just seeing the the topics their titles, with out even opening and playing them, I cant often tell they're covering stuff that just doesnt get covered otherwise.

If 'our' MSM wasnt so effing completely full of effing shia'ite then there'd be no truth vacuum for RT to fill laced with their BS.

So I'd call that progress.

And I declare it as a call to arms to get truth in our MSM.

Like oh shia'ite look at this story RT is actually covering, and then the response is ya well Russia is bad, mmkay, its not good, ya know.

Okay well if it takes effing Russia to provided US with at least an ounce of truth for the first time in our whole lives,well WTF?

Yeah but Russia is bad, mmkay.

Well no shia'ite Sherlock, but WTF are we going to do about our MSM?

Russia is worse, mmkay, go back to bed Amerika, we now have a Ministry of Propaganda being run by the military to deal with them so your government is in control again, here watch this: CNN.
edit on 13-10-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Most people just watch CNN and then go about their business. You mean CNN cant do a segment on the tube and thats all I need to judge its merits? To actually know what it is that requires both the clip and the article??

Maybe they should do the clip, and 3 articles, and then the 'truth' will sink in for me??

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 07:53 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

An investigation by CNN

Now that right there...is comedy.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: tigertatzen
a reply to: trollz

An investigation by CNN

Now that right there...is comedy.

Given where most of CNN's staff seems to keep their heads, they might find some polyps if they look hard enough.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Did you guys read past the headline? Or did you even read past the article in RT? CNN doesn't pretend to have any more than what it says in the body, they even say there's no evidence of the campaign actually taking off. All they do is detail this strange operation, and how it's linked to the cases already known. The only point relying on anonymous sources was about the Facebook account being taken down because of links to the IRA. Don't let your political bias cloud you, it's a sad day when the MSM is more objective than ATS, no?

a reply to: Ohanka

There was no point in seeking to convert the intellectuals. For intellectuals would never be converted and would anyway always yield to the stronger, and this will always be "the man in the street." Arguments must therefore be crude, clear and forcible, and appeal to emotions and instincts, not the intellect. Truth was unimportant and entirely subordinate to tactics and psychology.

Goebbels would resent you for comparing his propaganda with CNN; their article is far too nuanced and restrained to be effective.

a reply to: theultimatebelgianjoke

I don't think Niantic is too keen on getting embroiled in this on their own site. They want to sell games to the Russians too, some of whom already think PokemonGo was some sort of satanic conspiracy. They don't want to be associated with this geopolitcal #fest.

I've been hating on RT before, because the Kremlin keeps them on a tight leash. But you're totally right, that doesn't mean they can't put out the truth too, even truth that is ignored by the MSM.

Not this time though. This one's just comedy memes and tweets. The idea of Pokemon being used for info warfare is just so laughable on the surface, they couldn't resist trolling CNN over it.

Anyone can go look at the piece on RT, and then the one on CNN. Which one has more substance? Which one makes more effort to dig out what actually happened?

I guess it's automatically dumb because it's about Pokemon? Well guess what, propaganda has to go where the people goes (and most importantly of all, the young people). When we think of propaganda we think of WWII recruitment posters, or Hitler screaming like a lunatic. It's not like that anymore. People are immune to that now, they got inoculated to it in the 20th century, in blood and fire (which is sort of wearing off now, to be fair, but that's another story).

So propaganda is on Facebook now, on Twitter, and even in the Pokemon franchise, although as far as I can tell this was more of an experiment, or small time, not the big number.

That right there as evidence Russia was involved is INSANE. If Russia was trying to get Trump elected Why The F would they be programming people to be BLM crazies??????????????

You honestly think BLM hurt Trump? Nine out of ten blacks voted for Hillary anyway, and that didn't happen because Russians "programmed" them to be crazy. Trump's base was reactionary to movements like BLM, the more of a ruckus they and Antifa made, the better Trump would look. And I'm not trying to beat on Trump here, nothing wrong with that, but these are the facts.

Russia's deep state's game is sophisticated, but at the same time they don't have any mind control rays to brainwash people with in one fell swoop. It's the mundane grind of PSYOPS, just throwing out their nets to see what sticks, trying a bit of this and a bit of that, they win some, they loose some. It's more about muddying the waters than it's about radically changing anyone's mind.

Okie dokie!

edit on 13-10-2017 by Cutepants because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 09:04 AM
link   

This is NOT the Mud Pit!!!

All rules for polite political debate will be enforced.
Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate (REVISED)

And let's stop the barbs directed at members.
Go After the Ball, Not the Player!

You are responsible for your own posts.....those who ignore that responsibility will face mod actions.

and, as always:

Do NOT reply to this post!!

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I didn't read the OPs article or watch the video but if people are basing their voting habits off of anything to do with Pokémon Go, we got big problems.
I have never looked at Pokémon Go one time ever and if anyone ever tried to get me to look at it, I would slap them.
Just another hysterical Leftist Russian diversion to try to explain why corrupt Hillary lost her ass.
edit on 13-10-2017 by RazorV66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
.... and that's good enough for a circlejerk.

You just described every political thread on the internet. Every single one.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Cutepants

I guess it's automatically dumb because it's about Pokemon?

Nah, even though the Pokemon thing is pure comedy gold, it's also like it's automatically dumb because it's CNN. You know, the "news" network that have zero credibility since their Clintonite pundits and "journalists" constantly lie, spin and gas light - and do ludicrous stuff like this:

HAHAHAHA!!!

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Cutepants

Okay, I've now visited rt.com which I didnt realize the OP link was to them.

And glad I did lots of funny memes about the story.

So then I went and googled for the CNN piece 'cnn putin pikachu', and noticed some other great coverage of the CNN piece.

One person pointed out: "guess Hillary was colluding with Russia then cause she told everyone to Pokemon Go go go to the polls".

Hey, that's right!

Seems more like a Hillary campaign con to me, no?

Well lets see what CNN had to actually say, and this had better be good at this point damnit...

A source familiar with the matter confirmed to CNN that the Don't Shoot Us Facebook page was one of the 470 accounts taken down after the company determined they were linked to the IRA.

And there it is. For all we know it was a Soros network operation, I mean connected to the IRA is the claim, meaning no one knows anything yet here they're speaking in absolutist terminology start to finish in the piece. That is NOT journalism. To speak like that is dishonest even if they told us the source they dont actually know whose account it was therefore their language itself is deceptive.

Oh but since RT naturally responded to it, and they're Kremlin funded, well hell that gives credence to it is the logic here???

And you guys wonder why we chuckle and throw up some memes, originally intent to move on because as some have pointed out "CNN is now the Onion".

But thanks for the laughs. Laughing is important.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join