It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brexit - ‘No deal’ planning is well under way, says Minister

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 06:05 AM
link   
a reply to: TJames

missed that opportunity to bam ye up for whining ,WHINING like a wee lassie aboot the weather hahaha

FFS who greets aboot the weather , ye scared in case ye melt in the rain or come oot cleaner (im just joking by the way)
or get blown away down the road Or get cold wee feet.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 06:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

originally posted by: TJames
The crappiest bit about Britain is our weather,

Well, I disagree. I am an avid walker, and the changing weather and seasons are just fantastic. They bring colour to the land.

Only wimps sit at home whining about the weather - how hot/cold/wet/snowy/rainy/moist/windy/calm it is! How boring it would be if it was always hot, or cold. Better to hike 18 miles in the rain than 18 miles at 30 degrees.

To topic. Maybe under Brexit we can take control of our weather again, having lost it to the EU who have spent the last two decades trying to change the weather into a French model.

Haha I was walking in rainy forests last Sunday, but would I prefer summer all year round, yep of course, personal taste is all but crap British drizzle doesn't keep me hiding away at home!

But yes, when we take back control of our weather from the EU, we can all vote for Corbyn and he will magic blue skies up for us all again lol

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 06:26 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

Lol, I'm thinking more along the lines of roofing jobs and the like when it's hammering down blowing a hoolie...good job I can just exploit a Romanian to do it for £40 a day while I drink tea in the truck - joking as well

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 06:43 AM
link   

So, you have nothing to say about the downsides to having so many Eastern European immigrants?
Can't say I'm surprised - absolutely nothing of substance to support your claims.

Seems all you want to do is insult everyone less fortunate than you and adopt an attitude similar to the 'Loadsamoney' character.

Have you ever been to Eastern Europe?
I have, many times.
If you have then you'd know that the streets are full of the work shy malingering types you are so keen to brand all Brits as.

The UK is a great country - which is why so many people want to come here.....good and bad.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Whit de ye no ken! oor rain is more violent than yon English rain, its fatter and heavier , its faster, falls at a more acute angle to the vertical and contains more ice particles to sting ye !

hahahaha, this reminds me of the yorkshire coal miners / monty python sketch.
Always outdoing each other with even more personal misery

Ocht Im just talking sh1te

I think for the most part there are generally lazy bastards everywhere you care to look.
It doesnt help matters when the government are forcing people onto benefits through various legislative changes
Also doesnt help when our banks keep gambling with our money and #ing the economy so that we all lose our jobs etc or have to bail them out repeatedly because we are told its good for the economy.

I think the worst part about all this , isnt the xenophobia the divide of class etc, its the not knowing what will happen in the future .

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 06:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

So, you have nothing to say about the downsides to having so many Eastern European immigrants?
Can't say I'm surprised - absolutely nothing of substance to support your claims.

Yep I do, in the building game they dragged down job prices and day rates for everyone. That's just competition, but yes I have had to cut prices as well, so unlike like the government employees who haven't had an inflationary pay rise, most trades people have actually had to lower prices. To be fair though, we did live the greedy gravy train life prior to the EU nationals coming here.

Seems all you want to do is insult everyone less fortunate than you and adopt an attitude similar to the 'Loadsamoney' character.
Nope, I'm just challenging all the whinging and whining on ATS and posing the question how nearly 3 million EU nationals find work when lazy Brits can't? I know loads of lazy Brits and yes I call them out on site, in the pub, wherever face to face, so just in case, leave it out with the "You wouldn't say that to my face" crap, I would if I thought you were lazy.

Have you ever been to Eastern Europe?
I have, many times.
If you have then you'd know that the streets are full of the work shy malingering types you are so keen to brand all Brits as.
Yes same, lot's of times and lot's of countries. And yes, the hard working EU nationals are here along with many of their most skilled. If anything free movement is a bad thing for Eastern Europe with the 'brain drain' of graduates, doctors, nurses etc.

The UK is a great country - which is why so many people want to come here.....good and bad.

You wouldn't think it from reading all the whining on ATS. I've been arguing that the UK is a fantastic place to prosper if you are willing to work hard at it, all through this thread.
No need to tell me that, we're singing from the same songsheet. I'm not the one whining that Britain is so # all the time.
edit on 18-10-2017 by TJames because: typing mistake

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Haha yes, I heard from a gnarled and old school Scottish roofer once that your rain drops even carry blades!!!
Southern England here though so it's a gentle stroke on the face with our rain, almost a soft sensual caress even in the worst of winter.

...for the record as well, I voted leave in the referendum, sovereignty thing for me, but future controls on unskilled immigration will be no bad thing if we can go back to the glory days of charging high prices for jobs before Romanians turned up in their tens of thousands.
Saying that though, if we lost the unskilled EU nationals who would wipe old people's arses? It would be back to the days of care homes absolutely struggling to find workers from a solely British market.
edit on 18-10-2017 by TJames because: spelling mistake

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Aye but what does that tell you about the wonderful EU with all its jobs everywhere, that they are all so intent on coming here!

Bears worth repeating - why don't they head East to Russia?

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

Aye but what does that tell you about the wonderful EU with all its jobs everywhere, that they are all so intent on coming here!

Because the UK is a much more favourable place to live and work, unlike whiners on ATS would have you believe.
...also, the overwhelming majority of people with a second language speak English, not Russian...if Australia, New Zealand, or Canada were part of the free movement of people EU area then they would be swamped by millions, including millions of Brits.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Oh come on.................................. If you work in the UK on minimum wage you are in the top 5% of wage earners on planet Earth.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter

Oh come on.................................. If you work in the UK on minimum wage you are in the top 5% of wage earners on planet Earth.

One caveat though, it is an expensive place to live compared to other parts of the world.
The US seems worse though from everything I read on ATS, people doing 60+ hour weeks, two or three jobs just to cover their bills.
Depends what you want in life though, ask anyone in the debt management game and they'll tell you the biggest problem is stupid credit/spending choices, thousand pound sofa's and the full Sky package plus the latest flat screen, or shiny consumer item bought on the never never.

Me, I have no credit whatsoever, my outgoings are minimal, most of my shiny things I buy off mates when they upgrade and pay through the nose on credit, more fool them, my house is nice enough, oh the shame my leather sofa is 10 years old lol - Same with food choices, and going back to my EU mates, they all cook wholesome food with ingredients as I do. I despair when I see the £100's wasted in trolleys at the supermarket by people who are too lazy to cook, just push a button on the microwave.
...but I'm sure someone will come in whining that poor people don't have access to cheap vegetables and ingredients...bull#, there's a Tesco in every town these days.

Life is fantastic in the UK if you are not lazy.

ETA
And if there's a Polish/Eastern EU shop in your town they sell amazing meat products at cheap prices, my favourite is "Cashanka" or that's my phonetic spelling of it (Kaszanka) when I ask for it, amazing taste.
edit on 18-10-2017 by TJames because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Very true, we do live in a very expensive country. I follow the Tjames approach to dosh in every way including te 10 year old sofa lol

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Very true, we do live in a very expensive country. I follow the Tjames approach to dosh in every way including te 10 year old sofa lol

Lol it's the way forward

...I was just curious as well and shocked to see how cheap housing is in Scotland, found loads of £450 per month 2 bedroom rented flats in streets with nice parked cars there, not slums as other members make out. Then I searched jobs, Amazon are taking on paying a net wage of £260 per week for only 37.5 hours a week. Overtime is at enhanced rate over 40 hours. # me, no wonder so many Hungarians or Romanians, as another member said, move there, cheap as chips.

I could share a flat with a mate around £50 a week rent each, Council tax £12 a week each, Gas/Electric say £20 each a week averaged over the year, even on the 37.5 hours I'd still be left with around £180 a week (£25 a day) to spend on food/clothes/travel/buckfast tonic wine/whatever.
But no, that's starvation levels apparently...do these people not know about Primark, Poundland and Wilko's?
I'd be doing the overtime as well though, that's for sure, but I definitely understand now why so many EU nationals move to cheap Scotland.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   

I definitely understand now why so many EU nationals move to cheap Scotland.

Looks like Scotland is the place to be
When you look at the figures you posted it's no surprise really. Half of Glasgow from what I've read is from Ireland, the other half if from Highland and the Islands. It's always drawn people in and looking at the excellent lifestyle on offer and the possibility of making some savings is it any wonder why.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 09:27 AM
link   

I definitely understand now why so many EU nationals move to cheap Scotland.

Looks like Scotland is the place to be
When you look at the figures you posted it's no surprise really. Half of Glasgow from what I've read is from Ireland, the other half if from Highland and the Islands. It's always drawn people in and looking at the excellent lifestyle on offer and the possibility of making some savings is it any wonder why.

Hell yeah! Plus free prescriptions, and free university education.
I just went back and checked because I forgot to add water charges into the equation, and can you believe it, water is included in the council tax bill I quoted. What a fantastic cheap place to live a good happy life, wouldn't hear me whining that life is so terrible there, even 'Scottish Water' admit this...

The charge for the average household bill in Scotland (around £346) is expected to stay well below the average bill of the private water companies in England and Wales. This will mean that the average household will still pay less than £1 a day for the water services you receive.
link

If I was an EU national I'd definitely consider moving to Scotland not my expensive part of England.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

where are aww these irish people ! havent met an irish man in months

Joking aside , one of my friends said they worked in social housing / border control , and said that if immigrants take a house in Scotland they score more points in our system.

Not sure if its true.

I understand what you mean about work when you say people should just do the job and work and not complain.
But when you have been working in the government for 10+ years and you are giving your all to them then they turn round and pay freeze you for 8 years because they wanted to pay off some idiot bankers then you get a bit annoyed.

Do you think I havent looked into getting a better paid job in the private sector, I have but they always seem to not come to anything . Are either contract work or part time .

I am currently applying for internal roles to improve my take home pay , so moving from online web development to the graphic design team hopefully if Im successful in my application , then Id see my salary go from grade 2 I think to grade 3 and that is a pretty decent step up in pay.

The government are currently in discussion with our Union over pay and have been each year for the last 8 years.
what annoys me is that even though im not a emergency service just a civil service , our Union PCS
normally takes joint strike action. But any time our workers go on strike the teachers, nurses, police , firemen dont strike with us.
Which is annoying because what is the point in the union.

edit on 18-10-2017 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Even considered it meself. One beautiful place up there and so much space. Scotland is a great place for the immigrants and always has been. The Linn LP12 wouldn't have existed here without them Scots welcoming people in with open arms, maybe that Texas group too but the mind may be playing tricks as the glue's kicking in now.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Just to point out that the area i was referring, Govanhill, becoming a war zone. That the Muslim community is in the same boat as the rest of the poor souls that reside there and in no way responsible for the state of the place or the horrendous acts of depravity happening almost on a daily basis.

The Muslims just like other ethnics and minorities before them managed to integrate pretty much seamlessly.

edit on 18-10-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   

It's a great place mate, but not fair on the Irish and Highlanders if the east Europeans are scoring more points up there. It's a strange thing but when I was at school we were taught how bad Scotland was and they showed us videos of GEAR project knocking down old buildings or something and building new ones. You are left with the idea in England post schooling that it is the third world, blimey what a shock it is to visit there. Only been Glasgow for one night and day but what an amzingly stunning place, the architecture is just mind blowing beautiful. Top place

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I will testify to that , every community in Glasgow is well integrated , the indians and pakistanis came here generations ago and blended well with our society and thrived.

In fact one of my favorite accents is the indian / pakistani Scots !

for reference , goto youtube and search "nae vay, compilation"
its #in hilarious comedy gold .
edit on 18-10-2017 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join