It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brexit - ‘No deal’ planning is well under way, says Minister

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2017 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: TJames

Yeah - I guess I'm lucky to be in Australia...been plenty of times to Europe in the last 8 years...such a shame - our cultural heritage lying in ruins

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

If Australia offered free movement of workers to Brits you really would have millions of us flying over.
I'd do it in a heartbeat, just a plane ticket then find some crap agency work until I got myself sorted, and yes, we'd do the same as the eastern Europeans did here, we'd share rooms in houses of multiple occupation, and we'd probably undercut Oz workers in our job rates.
Free movement of workers will always result in mass movement of people to the better places.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

...and a side thought, do you think all those on ATS who bleated that the UK is racist for wanting to control immigration from the EU consider Australia racist because unskilled Brits can't just rock up there and work?
Logically they should think that way but funny how we never hear whining about your immigration policies. I totally understand why you have controls because millions of Brits would flood your land as eastern Europeans did here.

And yes, if WTO rules are the last option to say # you to the EU behemoth then I'll take that, Britain will survive. We may lose Scotland, but under WTO rules they will be more #ed than us in England because the majority of their trade is with us lol.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

Yeah - I guess I'm lucky to be in Australia...been plenty of times to Europe in the last 8 years...such a shame - our cultural heritage lying in ruins

Can I ask where on earth you went? I keep hearing people talk about how terrible Europe is, but it never quite stacks up against the evidence of my own eyes.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

Luton, Govanhill, Merthyr Tydfil?
Plenty of #holes in every nation if you look for them lol

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: TJames
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

Luton, Govanhill, Merthyr Tydfil?
Plenty of #holes in every nation if you look for them lol

Haha I love Merthyr. Ended up there years ago watching 5 nations in a pub that was like two terraced houses knocked through. Hell of an atmosphere, especially when England won LMAO. Cracking bunch of blokes to spend the afternoon drinking with though.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Haha I've spent time there myself and yes decent people as everywhere, but I wouldn't wanna live there.
...and on topic-ish I reckon if Australia offered a free movement of workers thing to Brits then a fair few boys from Merthyr would go in a heartbeat.
It's why I totally understand the same here with EU nationals.

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   

I agree, Oz or Canada would be my top two.

The whole place would be flooded with Poms, the natives would hate us lol

As for Merthyr and the like, I think the general grimness of such places merely highlights the good stuff you can find there.

edit on 09pSat, 21 Oct 2017 15:08:09 -050020172017-10-21T15:08:09-05:00kAmerica/Chicago31000000k by SprocketUK because: addendum

posted on Oct, 21 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

It would change the world dynamics if OZ, NZ, and Canada opened up free movement of workers, Britain would lose loads of people and desperately need eastern European workers more than we already do.
...and yep, I grew up in grim, good n bad people in most social demographics.

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   

"I grew up in grim, good n bad people in most social demographics."

That would seem to suggest that there are good and bad, lazy and hardworking working people in all demographics through which kind of negates your conclusion that the British working-class are all lazy and workshy.

I'm thinking it may be your comparison that's the problem considering some of these poor Eastern European migrant workers you seem to place such stock in that find there way to our shores are willing to work 60-80 hour weeks for minimum wage, sometimes even less.

Just because these poor people don't know any better and are willing to be exploited does not mean that British citizens are lazy or workshy for refusing or are unwilling to do the same.

Fact is what is being done to these poor people is illegal and at the end of the day also counterproductive regarding employment and the working conditions for all the people of our nation.

Cant have one rule for some and another for the rest, down that road, lies class war and anarchy.
edit on 22-10-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   

But we are supposed to be a first world nation, and we have food banks and an alarmingly increasing homeless situation in 2017!

I can't speak for Luton, Merthyr or Tydfil, but as to Govanhill, that's our First Ministers own constituency and it resembles a ghetto from Romania and/or Slovakia with little to nothing being done to alleviate or fix the situation.

Do you imagine David Cameron or Theresa May's constituency are in the same state as these places? Somehow i don't think so.

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

"I grew up in grim, good n bad people in most social demographics."

That would seem to suggest that there are good and bad, lazy and hardworking working people in all demographics through which kind of negates your conclusion that the British working-class are all lazy and workshy.
Not once have I said all Brits, please do not twist my words.

I'm thinking it may be your comparison that's the problem considering some of these poor Eastern European migrant workers you seem to place such stock in that find there way to our shores are willing to work 60-80 hour weeks for minimum wage, sometimes even less.

Just because these poor people don't know any better and are willing to be exploited does not mean that British citizens are lazy or workshy for refusing or are unwilling to do the same.

Fact is what is being done to these poor people is illegal and at the end of the day also counterproductive regarding employment and the working conditions for all the people of our nation.

Cant have one rule for some and another for the rest, down that road, lies class war and anarchy.
Nope, I know loads of lazy bastard Brits, you are just in denial and playing the victim card.

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Scotland has pretty much run it's own show for years now, blame the SNP.
You have the same minimum wage as England, cheap as chips housing, water bills included in your comparable council tax which Scottish Water proudly proclaim are cheaper that England and Wales, free prescriptions, free uni education, yet still you Scots whine. You live in the promised land compared to southern England ffs.
...but that doesn't follow the whining Scot narrative does it.

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Aye it's all wine bread and honey up here hence the reason for our exceptionally long lifespans and amazing quality of life i suppose?

We pay for our prescriptions through national insurance and as to a "free uni education" well if you make the grades and can manage to get a place in one of our universities then trust me when i say our students have to take out student loans and end up in just as much debt as the rest of the students of our nation. I can testify to that.

So whats the deal you don't just hate your own working class but also seem to harbour some resentment towards us Scots who you somehow imagine have it better?

No one is whining, simply calling it how we see it. x

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   

"Not once have I said all Brits, please do not twist my words."

No just the working class.

Who are the backbone of the nation really, and without such our island could not survive.

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

"Not once have I said all Brits, please do not twist my words."

No just the working class.

Who are the backbone of the nation really, and without such our island could not survive.

No, I've never said it about the working class either, please stop twisting my words.
You are of course welcome to quote me and then we can discuss if I actually am the mean nasty man I'm assuming you think I am.
If you are not prepared to quote my specific posted words I'd request you leave it out with your silly accusations.

ETA
I use tools and break into a sweat for a living so don't give it the class bull# either. I know loads of lazy Brits.
edit on 22-10-2017 by TJames because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   

You have it better in Scotland than the average working person in Southern England yet still y'all whine.
Cheap as chips housing, water charges included in council tax which is on a par with England, similar work available which EU nationals easily find...yeah, you just whine more than the rest of the UK...aside from NE England, they whine quite a bit as well...but have you seen what you can buy for £50,000 up there?! I almost wanna move.

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   

You did, however, allude to them being lazy and workshy which is hardly an endorsement of said demographic and quite frankly rather shortsighted and derogatory.

Just try and understand the situation an alarming number of our people find themselves to be in. They are not lazy bastard Brits nor are they in denial or playing the victim card.

They are simply trying to survive and exist in an ever-increasing socioeconomic nightmare which Brexit may quite possibly only make 10 times worse.

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Well just like anyone else you are most welcome, but i would attempt to crumb the attitude towards our working-class as quite frankly in these here parts it would go down like a lead balloon.

£50,000??? That's half the cost of a Barrett(or the like) house or a deposit on a half decent home these days, not quite what it used to be am afraid.

posted on Oct, 22 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Oh behave with the "You wouldn't say it in my pub" bull#, you're as bad as a certain member from the north east of England.
Just google houses for sale skint parts of northern England, you'll be surprised, and I'm surprised you even argued that, cheap as chips in Scotland and northern England compared to southern England.
You guys are in the promised land, especially Scots with no bills from private water companies. Stop whinging I say.

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21 >>

join