It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Portlandia: Portland Deletes Its Gang List for Having Too Many Blacks

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

We should create a virtue signalling hashtag like all those trendy leftists.

#PortlandGangsSoBlack

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash

This is 2017, how did we let this even happen to our country?

We just ignore it and treat is as a norm. This weekend there will be 20 to 40 gang shootings in Chicago and it is just a norm. It wasn't until Trump recently said he was going after gangs did "they who shall be named" where actually named...lol

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Butterfinger
Gangs no longer exist, if you see gangs or AntiFa(sorry to be redundant), they arent a problem, you are for thinking you are in danger.

Hi. U R

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

And no I'm not Trump or Cuban (at least I don't "think" so).

Please reconsider this.

Then invite me to the Oval Office for a briefing plz!
I'm not posting anymore expert assessments until then.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: muzzleflash

This is 2017, how did we let this even happen to our country?

We just ignore it and treat is as a norm. This weekend there will be 20 to 40 gang shootings in Chicago and it is just a norm. It wasn't until Trump recently said he was going after gangs did "they who shall be named" where actually named...lol

And the media will still endlessly drone on about white supremacists who haven't killed as many people in a century as Chicago gangs will kill this weekend alone.
edit on 12-9-2017 by DrStevenBrule because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Here is something that might help you understand. First, you have to understand the psychology. I've been dirt poor, and recognize everything being said in this article as true. And now that im not dirt poor, that mindset seems foreign to me.

But I know that were i dirt poor again....my mindset would change. Human psychology is predictable.

www.theatlantic.com...

Poverty is bleak and cuts off your long-term brain. It’s why you see people with four different babydaddies instead of one. You grab a bit of connection wherever you can to survive. You have no idea how strong the pull to feel worthwhile is. It’s more basic than food.

It actually breaks my heart to remember that feeling.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

This is the major point people keep missing. All our race relations issues are because of law makers (well intentioned or not) and enforcement agencies meddling in creating and enforcing laws and policies. Whether it be the criminalization of minority cultural behaviors, or reconstruction still sticking in the craw of the southerner....it all goes back to a lawmaker and their enforcement agencies.

"criminalization of minority cultural behaviors" Like what? Smoking crack? There are more whites in poverty than blacks just due to a larger population, so where are all the white gangs that should outnumber both the blacks and latinos?

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   

a reply to: Xtrozero

Think about how hard it is to have family unity when cultural behaviors are criminalized.

Theft, violence, murder, intimidation and threats, racketeering, rape - these aren't unique to any single culture - they are considered crimes in virtually every culture in human history.

I just can't fathom how we are suppose to accept this.
I know our prison system is a failure and isn't working, but at least it keeps them trapped and away from civilization for at least awhile. And really we need more prisons to trap more people because there are simply an overwhelming number of massive problems walking around out there taking it out on innocent people around them.

I live in a very nice city, one of the best in the nation easily for it's size (Nashville), and people get beat up, shot, robbed, raped, etc, on a daily basis. Children are taking bullets in the head because some thug thought the solution to his problems yesterday was to driveby firing a gun indiscriminately. He sure showed them huh?

This isn't something we should accept, ever, under any circumstance.
It sucks that the death penalty is the only thing that makes sense and that we aren't meting it out fast enough.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrStevenBrule

And the media will still endlessly drone on about white supremacists who haven't killed as many people in a century as Chicago gangs will kill this weekend alone.

Shhhh...that is because there is only about 6000 across America that do what they always do...march around and talk crap about how they are so superior....lol

That big deal in Charlottesville was a couple of 100 racist from all over America came there...can't say big numbers lol. Now compare that two 2 million gang members that pretty much any one of them will kill at a moments notice.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

You are missing my point.

What drives violent crime? I mean, there are psychopaths out there. 3% of the population, statistically speaking. But among that 3%, only a small portion will actually commit violent crime, as impulse control still dominates most people who succeed in life.

Start smaller. Look at nonviolent crime. MJ is a major current issue...so look there. How many people entered the criminal justice system due to possession of MJ? Its illegality adversely impacted non-whites, and it meets any reasonable measurement of a racist law.

How about sentencing guidelines for crack being so much more stiff that powder. Again, targeting minorities.

Why are we targeting minorities for criminality? And were you a minority, how would you react?

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

That article is complete BS.

I have lived in, and currently still am in abject poverty.

I always think about long term goals and what I should do to follow them.

I don't grab a bit of connection wherever I can "to survive".
I eat food and drink water *usually coffee* to survive.

People that act that way live immoral lives, reject Goodness and Civilization, and refuse to improve themselves because they thrive on depravity and degradation.

I don't try to go around having sex with everyone - I have always and will always believe in commitment, self-respect, and love.

"Feeling worthwhile" is not more basic than food. That's PURE INSANITY.
"Feeling worthwhile" is a self-esteem and self-respect issue, it's all pure illusion and delusion in our head. These people are literally psychopathic narcissists who only care about themselves and indulging in pleasure at the expense of everyone else, damn the consequences. They don't ever care about others in need or go out of their way to help the disabled or displaced. Just send them more welfare and "accept" their culture right?

The majority of this nation will not tolerate this much longer.
This isn't a racial thing either, though it does affect a specific race more than others - and that's because they are brainwashed into victim mentalities and always feel the need to lash out at others and blame everyone for their problems.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   

I think Mazlow would disagree with you.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   

This is the major point people keep missing. All our race relations issues are because of law makers (well intentioned or not) and enforcement agencies meddling in creating and enforcing laws and policies. Whether it be the criminalization of minority cultural behaviors, or reconstruction still sticking in the craw of the southerner....it all goes back to a lawmaker and their enforcement agencies.

"criminalization of minority cultural behaviors" Like what? Smoking crack? There are more whites in poverty than blacks just due to a larger population, so where are all the white gangs that should outnumber both the blacks and latinos?

Why is the mandatory minimum for crack so much more severe than its powdered counterpart?

Whether its intentional or not, its illogical and it adversely impacts one minority group over others. That is the federal definition of "racist".

ETA: in fact, don't take my word for it. Look at the stats. The only reason "caucasians" are so well represented in federal prison stats is because hispanics are included as "caucasian". Just do some rough math in your head....why is a minority population imprisoned more than the throngs of poor white people you mention? What is the cause for that?
edit on 9/12/2017 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Why is the mandatory minimum for crack so much more severe than its powdered counterpart?

Whether its intentional or not, its illogical and it adversely impacts one minority group over others. That is the federal definition of "racist".

It's policed that way because of the increased violence associated with it.

Not because it "whaaaaaaacist".

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   
dbl
edit on 12-9-2017 by DrStevenBrule because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I am a normal good person who, despite my great struggles, desires better for myself and seeks to improve my life by maintaining respect and love towards my fellow citizens and remains ambitious about what I can achieve in this short life - which is definitely about helping others less fortunate than myself while at the same time, helping myself.

And since I am very self-conscious and aware of my own great flaws and faults, I SERIOUSLY DOUBT I could be superior to anyone at all. If I can be a GOOD person, anyone can. There's no excuse. I'm not even tempted to hurt other people.

I just want a better life.

I'm convinced that the criminal element does not want a better life, is angry, and wants to take it out on everyone else while they run around seeking fleeting pleasures like crack or sex to justify their miserable lives.

It's their fault they have poor educations, they don't want to learn anything. It's stupid to learn to them. Books are dumb in their view. 100% choice. We have more information freely available to ALL citizens right now today than ever before in history.

If that's a culture it's time to eradicate it.
It doesn't do ANYONE any good.

The question remains, how do we as people seeking "Good", handle a problem this challenging without becoming even greater monsters ourselves?

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Explain how I "maintain morality" during poverty than if it's so impossible?

And for me it was worse than poverty, I've been through some really screwed up unfair things the last few years. It's been pretty traumatic and I've been into the abyss.

So why did I never take it out on anyone else?
Why did I refuse to steal from others or refuse drugs and sex and violence?

Gather up all your genius psychoanalysts!

Fact of the matter is I'm really normal.
This is how people are "suppose to be".
They'll agree with me.

Temptations are meant to be resisted, not surrendered to.
Every human has to deal with all of the same psychological problems at some point or another, like anger, jealousy, desire, greed, selfishness, responsibility. Life's about growing up and doing good things for others.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   

The article is based on statistical research and it's not even new. There are similar findings in places that aren't the USA.

Diet is intrinsically linked to mental wellness, intellectual capacities and fitness for work. Undernourished kids tend to develop into adults with diminished cognitive abilities compared to those from well-nourished backgrounds. It's so well established as to be a pillar of genetics and one of the key points that separated early modern man from our primate cousins.

Poor diet affects mental and physical growth. Poor diet tends to be a feature of certain economic classes which then ties in to environmental factors. Poor diet + deprived environments = limited life chances.

The basic equation is never so simple with people, is it? Limited life chances create more chaotic societies. Relationships break down in these circumstances. Kids lose their good role-models and are influenced by their surroundings and the people in their lives. It's a vicious circle.

I think your post overlooks the common humanity of people in the rush to box them into groups and dismiss them. Have a look at history. Look at the deprived areas of early New Amsterdam, London and Paris. Almost entirely white populations rife with criminality and the common factors were poverty, malnutrition and broken families. Education, jobs and fairer infrastructures made the difference when all else failed.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   

OK, so I get that there is a mindset that says, "Today I have this or could grab this and make myself feel good." My own husband had it when I married him, and we lived through some bleak times. I had to manage our money for a while until I broke him of it.

But understanding that the mindset is there is very different from excusing it. Too many people today look at people in poverty, realize the mindset is there, and excuse it. They say things like "They can't help it."

That's crap. It can be helped. You broke it. My husband broke it.

People can break it, and our focus should be on getting people to break it, not on excusing it and enabling it because they can't help it.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

I don't lean towards the explanation that our environment controls who we become.

I strongly favor the explanation that we Choose who we become, and that even a poor diet cannot destroy a good person's ethical disposition or character. It may harm them but it surely cannot destroy them completely.

I do agree that all of these factors influence our dispositions, but they do not control it.

Each individual person makes their own unique choices every day, and this is what defines who we truly are - not what you eat or where you live or who you have to be around other environmental factors.

You choose who you are - nothing else in the whole universe can do that for you.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join