It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Portlandia: Portland Deletes Its Gang List for Having Too Many Blacks

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Apparently the Portland Oregon police are stopping their policies of "gang affiliations" because over 20 years, it has placed too many minorities in that "classification".

So now what?

I wonder what the criteria was to make determinations anyway ?

Portland police next month will end their more than 20-year-old practice of designating people as gang members or gang associates in response to strong community concerns about the labels that have disproportionately affected minorities.

The Police Bureau recognizes that the gang designations have led to “unintended consequences” and served as lifelong barriers for those who have shunned the gang lifestyle and tried to get jobs, said Acting Tactical Operations Capt. Andy Shearer.

A review by Oregonian/OregonLive reporter Carli Brosseau last year found that of the 359 “criminal gang affiliates” flagged in Portland’s database as of last summer, 81 percent were part of a racial or ethnic minority.

+62 more 
posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Racism is awesome but only if it's the politically correct kind.

They should probably end their welfare and SNAP programs too, since there's such a high percentage of minorities on it.

(post by odzeandennz removed for a manners violation)
+12 more 
posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Its the gang lists fault those individuals are gang bangers.

+9 more 
posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I'm so now I'm confused.

Do we hold people's pasts against them?
Or do we not?

We drag up a politicians dirt forever "and sometimes their fathers".

But gang bangers pasts are to be forgotten.

So much flip flop.

+9 more 
posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

or did you mean to write they will find new classification because people who turn away from gang lifestyle are still labeled as gang members and cannot re enter society and jobs turn them down, housing, and other government agencies etc...

Yes , in the US there are laws that if a person violates it is determined to be a felony. Good folks dont like convicted felons (no matter the race) living next to them. And felons working for them ? That opens a whole new can of worms.
Once convicted , a person has to prove they are worthy of trust again . Takes time. And there is a multitude of programs set up to assist them back into society . The question is , does the felon want to rejoin and be a productive member of society ?
Know how many felons commit felonies again once they get out ?
Read up . Knowledge defeats ignorance every single time.
Sometimes I wish I could go back to the liberal mentality . Would be so much easier to ignore information , knowledge to embrace ignorance and live in bliss. That the only thing I need to refute someone is to call them a name.
But I cant. I gained this valuable trait called morality.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
[SNIP]

you're not supposed to read the link, just be outraged at the headline and post something about the privileged black people holding you back, or something.
edit on 12/9/2017 by Gemwolf because: Mod edit: Removed quoted post

+17 more 
posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Or in other words, Portland is deleting its gang list because they couldn't find enough whites to put on it.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   
It seems that some people are offended that life (real life) has little regard for "do over's". Guess what, a lifestyle "do over" is more than just claiming it, much more. It involves actual life changes, cutting loose some friends that might still be in that felonious lifestyle. It requires big choices and sacrifices for the goal of change.

Essentially, you need to earn that "do over" by convincing others by actions that you truly men it and refuse to return.

Sorry, that is how real life works.

edit on 9/11/2017 by Krakatoa because: spelling

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   
If there were an all white gang theyd be labeled white supremacists by yhese same people here calling these minority gang bangers victims.

The jist of it of course is that gang bangers are victims. Imagine that distorted reality.

They should be doing somethibg that is actually useful for them such as nation wide protests against the war on drugs.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
I'm so now I'm confused.

Do we hold people's pasts against them?
Or do we not?

We drag up a politicians dirt forever "and sometimes their fathers".

But gang bangers pasts are to be forgotten.

So much flip flop.

American Politicians are like Celebs. Gangs, not so much. Unless their last name is Capone.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 07:34 PM
link   
If they're "publicly" stating they're doing it? They're probably not "deleting" it. Portland "police" are like the clown in "IT". They're well trained to die for "the cause"! They don't even understand "the cause". Most of them just want a "badge" of "authority". Makes them "feel" like men and women that didn't go to college for nothing.
edit on 11-9-2017 by murphy22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
Racism is awesome but only if it's the politically correct kind.

They should probably end their welfare and SNAP programs too, since there's such a high percentage of minorities on it.

Burden of proof is on you. You made the claim.
Show the numbers and verification.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Oh for the love of.......

Hiding the data will not stop these people from joining gangs. How about an honesty moment with ourselves as a society and everyone ask just why certain groups are falling into this behaviour?

Hint: the answer is poverty based, not racial.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Will the Portland Police remove from it's database Italians who happen to have been flagged as members of the Mafia ?
How come they do not list any Eskimos as made members of the Mob, Hmmm ? Proof right there of discrimination....

Sicilians are clearly overepresented...must be solely due to anti-italian racism....

/sarc
edit on 11-9-2017 by M5xaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Wow! The censorship is great, with this "one".... Apparently I put a bur under someones saddle.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

They should! I agree! You should vote Republican in the next "election".

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 07:53 PM
link   

It doesn't change the way crime is fought other than removing an unreliable label. Being "affiliated" with a gang is no more reliable that being a "person of interest". I've been questioned by cops a few times about people I know. If those people were gang members, it would have put me on the list, affecting future interactions I might have with police.

Not to mention, if you are on parole and you are caught hanging out with somebody with that label who isn't even in a gang, they can say you are violating parole.

Imagine being legally labeled as a "KKK affiliate" because you sold a truck to an acquaintance and you had no idea that person was a member of the KKK.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Apparently the Portland Oregon police are stopping their policies of "gang affiliations" because over 20 years, it has placed too many minorities in that "classification".

So now what?

I wonder what the criteria was to make determinations anyway ?

Portland police next month will end their more than 20-year-old practice of designating people as gang members or gang associates in response to strong community concerns about the labels that have disproportionately affected minorities.

The Police Bureau recognizes that the gang designations have led to “unintended consequences” and served as lifelong barriers for those who have shunned the gang lifestyle and tried to get jobs, said Acting Tactical Operations Capt. Andy Shearer.

A review by Oregonian/OregonLive reporter Carli Brosseau last year found that of the 359 “criminal gang affiliates” flagged in Portland’s database as of last summer, 81 percent were part of a racial or ethnic minority.

I think that in the spirit of Diversity, that ideal we praise above all others, that Portland should do an outreach campaign to get more Nazis and skinheads to live in Portland. They can be induced to live there with appropriate housing incentives and tax breaks. The city of Portland can do an outreach on all the normal websites and magazines that cater to Nazis. A snappy slogan like "Portland, it's not just for nerdy white people, it's for ALL white people" should work with proper Aryan people kayaking and biking to work in the ads. That way the Police can continue to produce their gang lists without feeling they are Racist.

Problem solved.
edit on 11-9-2017 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 08:50 PM
link   

I can't speak for Portland, but in Boston a group of young black men standing on a corner is a gang and a group of young white man standing on a corner are just neighborhood kids.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join