It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catastrophic rainfall predicted for TX, LA, gulf coast region.

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Well folks I survived the historic amounts of rainfall overnight, and blessedly did not get any water into my hhous; although the neighborhoods surrounding me had water in almost every house

Here is a shot I managed to get during the lightning show last night:

The water is receding presently, however there are more Squall lines offshore heading in throughout the day.

Stay safe anybody who is still in the path of this thing

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

Thanks for checking in! Geez, as a kid I could barely make it through the stress of ONE incoming twister or "big storm".... I have no idea how you are still managing to keep yourself together enough to reach out and post here. I'm hoping the "4 more days of rain" is but a bit of a stretch. Regardless, even 2 more days is too much.

Much warmth to you and your mom and all ya'll dang Houstonians with b*lls the size of...well....Texas.

Cheers.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Hey there Jaded.

Glad to hear you and yours are safe and dry. Been trying to keep up with the news.

So sad and scary.

And it sounds like it's not close to being over.

www.chron.com...
edit on 27-8-2017 by crappiekat because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Here's the NWS statement for today:

NWS @NWS This event is unprecedented & all impacts are unknown & beyond anything experienced. Follow orders from officials to ensure safety. #Harvey

mobile.twitter.com...

Has anyone ever heard anything so dramatic out of them?
edit on 8/27/2017 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: HollywoodFarmGirl
and
a reply to: crappiekat

Thank you so much!

I am one of the very lucky few (so far) that has not had any water in my house; but as the reports and models show, this thing is not over yet. Where I live is what remains of our family farm going back to the early 30's and it was picked out by my grandfather and his brother as being the best place to weather any storm that came this way. This was done in the wake of the storm of 1900; my grandfather was pretty young for that, but he never forgot it. And so far, their foresight nearly 100 years ago has proven out.

The street in front of my house got up to about knee deep during the worse of the rains, during breaks the drainage systems managed to get caught back up. I don't know how much longer that will be the case; but for now things seem to be ok for me. As mentioned in my previous post, though, all the neighborhoods surrounding me (which have been built in the past 10 years or so), have almost all seen water throughout.

I am seeing a *lot* of social media posts calling for rescue from the tops of houses and or apartments; I have seen coast guard choppers flying fairly often, some folks are stuck in attics and have had to cut their way out.

It is bad.

I have also seen as many posts of people with lifted vehicles, boats, and or other experience (firefighters, emts, etc) offering help for anyone who needs it.

This isn't our first rodeo with a tropical storm system, it's just one of epic proportions. I guarantee you that that the people of Texas will post an equally epic response.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   
30 calls in the last hour. (And this is just Houston.)

cohweb.houstontx.gov...
edit on 27-8-2017 by crappiekat because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   

The bad thing is that in some places, they are already on roofs and in attics and they still have days of this to go!

I can't imagine the desperation of that. Knowing that you're already in those circumstances and that you haven't seen how high the water will get. You know it's likely going to take you if they can't get to you.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   
WFAA out of Dallas is live streaming for KHOU, their sister station in Houston because it has been disabled. Essentially they have taken over local programing. Very good coverage of rescues.
WFAA

Don't know if there is a different process for embedding for non you tube.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Dear ATS Readers, Writers,

Sadly, the news is reporting 5 deaths now. And I read one where a woman's body was seen floating down the street... ugh, sad.

Water, water everywhere... and rising. People stuck in attics...Personally, you couldn't get me in an attic. How far from floating off the foundations are flooded homes up to the attic?? I suppose it depends on how strong the current would be. '
Imagine the nightmare of being stuck in the attic, and the house starts floating away? Nah, no way... I remember one poster in this thread said to make sure you take an axe into the attic with you..good advice.

It will be another week before some sense of order returns to some of these areas... in the meantime, folks are stranded and wet, and getting hungry.

No word from my friend still... hope he is doing well as can be.

Pravdaseeker

a reply to: pravdaseeker

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Thanks for the update Jaded! Glad you are safe. Still praying for those in dire need of help and for the poor animals.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: pravdaseeker

I hope your friend is ok and in a safe place. I'm sure you will hear something when they are able to contact you. It must be nerve wracking not knowing exactly what is going on.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   

So far, so good, and it seems like - uh - all thanks to your grandfather and his foresight!! Despite most of my grandfathers/grandmothers (and some parents, aunt, & uncles) not having the most extensive academic education, I found them to be full of wisdom about Life, and Mother Earth's Reality. I guess ya gotta respect Mother Earth when she has rewarded one with bounty for so many generations.

Due to my worry, I present you with some humor, in hopes of lightening up your evening a bit:

Farmer's Lifehack for floods: Now, if you're short a boat & need one, grab a bunch of black garbage bags, and start double-bagging/then blowing them up. Get about 5-6, and tie them all together. Maybe duct tape a pillow on top of those knots, so Mom can balance in "the seat of the boat" whilst you tread water, and motor her to safety. (No need for sound effects, she will prolly have no humor in such a scenario.)

(Please, ATS geniuses out there, I am aware this is a completely unsoundly engineered life hack. Just some humor, s'okay? S'okay. Peace.)

Cheers.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: liveandlearn

Here is that feed on YouTube:

That's the one I'm watching. I know most of the places they are showing on the videos footage.

There's an army of volunteers helping the official rescue efforts.

I've seen a lot of traffic out in front of my house and it's been a lot of jeeps and jacked up vehicles, many towing boats.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: TNMockingbird

My heart bleeds, but what are you going to do?

Hey, I know you just literally lost everything you had to your name, but we're also charging you with animal neglect and cruelty and putting you in prison for 6 months too.

I totally get that but...it's not as if they weren't aware. After all, THEY evacuated. Just cut them off the chain is all that I'm saying. Give them a #ing chance...The owner had a chance...

I don't know about 6 months prison but, I think there should be some sort of punishment for watching/participating/ allowing another living being to suffer...NEEDLESSLY.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   

I know, but they were on the livestream, and they talked to one guy out at a gas station who had to buy gas for one guy because he somehow got out without even his wallet.

Who knows what goes through someone's mind in that situation?

You'd like to think you wouldn't forget anything that important, but with the water coming in like that and in a panicked rush ... can you say you wouldn't?

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I know, but they were on the livestream, and they talked to one guy out at a gas station who had to buy gas for one guy because he somehow got out without even his wallet.
Who knows what goes through someone's mind in that situation?
You'd like to think you wouldn't forget anything that important, but with the water coming in like that and in a panicked rush ... can you say you wouldn't?

No Ketsuko I can't say I wouldn't but, I can say that I am a planner and would hope that others would have heeded the warnings and prepared.
Not judging, of course but my animals are part of my family and I can't imagine leaving without knowing their location.
My children are primary.
Their Father is second.
Of course the animals would come last. Honestly.
It is well known our 'bug out' scenario. We've lived in FL through hurricanes, tornadoes etc. Been through worse but I will say that IMO if one didn't heed the warnings and take care of business then yes, you're a dumb# and the animals don't deserve to suffer. People don't either. It's just a shame and I hope that there is minimal loss of life ( I know there will be some) and folks can rebuild their lives quickly.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 04:22 PM
link   

I hear you.

And I am guessing there were quite a few heartless @ssholes, but I am also guessing that there were quite a few who fully intended to do right by their pets and events just outpaced them or they panicked and plans fell apart. It happens to the best of us.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yes maam,
sad all around.

Thanks for your responses.

Hoping they fair well through Thursday.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 04:27 PM
link   
This graphic from the Washington Post shows a potential location of the storm as far out as Thursday.

Our thoughts are with you. Wow.

Washington Post story link

TWC is predicting it will move back out in the Gulf before coming at Houston.
edit on 27-8-2017 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   
They are riding jet-skis down I-10 picking up bodies.
I am eating steak and potatoes.
I did get wet saving a deer.
edit on 27-8-2017 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join