It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesters pull down Confederate statue at old Durham County courthouse

page: 34
<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

originally posted by: luthier

originally posted by: face23785

originally posted by: luthier
a reply to: face23785

You have no point.

Do you have kids?

There are ways to teach them to be responsible. Just in case your wondering.

One is through civics and history. This legislation wouldn't get passed if you held politicians accountable instead of act like a cheerleader.

Who has no point? Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean there's no point to it. What stunning and unjustified arrogance.

Sorry just like to pretend being proactive is better than whining I guess.

Your right like though it is everyone else's fault but yours.

Personally I will keep being a wrestling coach and trying to do my part making a difference in people lives instead complain about it.

You know you're way ahead when the other guy is complaining about you complaining.

That doesn't even make sense.

The point your missing is if you did more complaining to representIves and say became a teacher, you could actually be part of doing something rather than complaining and watching.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I think your remarks address a very important point:

originally posted by: alphabetaone
Well, no matter how you look at it, or which side you choose to align yourself with, the destruction of the confederate statue was just that, a statue...an inanimate object that doesn't live and breathe. Heather Heyer lived and breathed...yet no more.

I have a feeling a lot of posters here are missing the point, I doubt if even the people tearing it down cared much about it being there, this was blowback from the Charleston events of the weekend, who didn't expect it?

Exactly. I've since seen other officials step up the plans to remove statues - on the grounds that they don't want another Charlotsville event in their town.

Yes, absolutely, the proper channels should have been used to remove the statue and preserve it elsewhere as a compromise and retain it's historical value, after all it IS historically significant and at least it causes someone (likely a kid) to ask questions: "Who is he or she? What did he or she do? Why is there a statue of them?"...those are important questions to answer and frankly to ask. Childlike destruction of ANY property though, historically significant or not is not a part of our American culture and we cant allow it to be. That's problem number one.

... you do remember that the statue was of one Robert E. Lee?

The reaction was more likely, "oh. Him." than curiosity. He's hardly neglected in the history books.

Problem number two is of a much greater significance and that is, if they DIDNT care much about the statue, then what are they fighting? I think the fight and the tearing down of that statue was a message, not an act of destruction they felt was needed...I get the impression the message was "go ahead and protect one statue, we'll tear two more down for everyone you white supremists protect". The larger problem, that being of a white supremist ideology which is rife with hate and violence should no more be espoused in America than the aforementioned, to me it is a larger problem than vandalism.

I expect to see more cities removing these statues because they don't want these rallies and protests. And after the violence of this weekend, I don't think that they'll be granting the neo-Nazis many parade or assembly permits. Policing something like this, even when non-violent, requires a lot of law enforcement personnel on the spot (and TRAINED ones, who know what's legal to do and what's legal to use.) Most places simply don't have the budget for it.

Removing statues is much easier than putting up with a number of demonstrations.

link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

originally posted by: DBCowboy
A drawing of Mohammed is enough to offend the radical elements of Islam to kill others.

A statue, a work of art, a representation of a civil war character is enough to offend the radical elements of Idiocy to destroy it.

Didn't mohammed own slaves?

Interesting.

Sure did.

There were other slaves here in 'Merica during the early years.

Fans of Black Sails and American Gods would gotten a taste of it.

Criminals sentenced to work in the new world which amounted to nothing more than slavery.

But hey now that's a very glossed over part they don't want to admit.
edit on 15-8-2017 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

link   
When Tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty. Hope this part never comes true. I'm sure it never will but how this is going I have no idea anymore.

Maybe I'm just paranoid. I will continue to watch and wait and see how this unfolds and pray none of this crap starts in my hometown. I live in Virginia and there is a big divide between conservatives and liberals and the Mason Dixon Line still exists...

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: 4N0M4LY
Even the national guard on the state level where the civil war history runs deep. Like an example of the 29th Infantry Division - Stonewall Brigade will be reluctant to agree to putting down citizens that are about saving confederate history because like this unit, they were born from the confederates and have a very long history of honorable soldiers serving.

Good luck to the national guard units that deploy to join the madness.

so...black people of America....can't you celebrate a treasonous southern slave owner trying to keep you as slaves??.....c'mon, don't you like working for free 90 to 100 hours a week, whipped bloody if you get out of line, lynched if you try and escape?.....and as far as black women, hey....any white man can rape them, with no worries....what a glorious and grand confederate history EVERYONE should celebrate!!!!

(post by 4N0M4LY removed for a manners violation)

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: 4N0M4LY

When Tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty. Hope this part never comes true

It's already true, and has been for quite some time.

Laws are made from nothing more than opinion that just a mere 51 people think should be law.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd

I expect to see more cities removing these statues because they don't want these rallies and protests. And after the violence of this weekend, I don't think that they'll be granting the neo-Nazis many parade or assembly permits. Policing something like this, even when non-violent, requires a lot of law enforcement personnel on the spot (and TRAINED ones, who know what's legal to do and what's legal to use.) Most places simply don't have the budget for it.

Removing statues is much easier than putting up with a number of demonstrations.

Ans so the mob violence works.

Well lets hope the neo nazis don't decide to start ripping down property they don't like. I mean, if townships will caave into leftists mob violence, then the neo nazis will think it can work for them too.

What a great precedent to have set!

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: luthier

Just curious, which posts you've been responding to from me indicate what I do or don't do? Or were you just making a fool out of yourself by making baseless and incorrect assumptions?

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

Well lets hope the neo nazis don't decide to start ripping down property they don't like. I mean, if townships will caave into leftists mob violence, then the neo nazis will think it can work for them too.

The KKK and neo nazis are only a tiny tiny number of people compared to the total population, they are completely irrelevant. I doubt we will see much more trouble from them.
The SJW types are much larger in number and are everywhere by comparison. My 2c.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   

The problem is that this vandalism won't be the end.

I know that.

You ignore that there were people engaging in violence against the rally too. And many of these leftists groups have been using violence and intimidation in attempts to silence anyone they disagree with for quite some time.

Why is it you always feel it incumbent upon yourself to decide what it is YOU think I ignore? I'm not ignoring a thing pal. I align with NO ONE....not any group, no political affiliation or any such imagining's in your mind, thus your attempt to elicit some form of loyalty response from me to engage you on behalf of some "side" is moot. Leftists are as much scum as the Right, and your rhetoric is PRECISELY what is causing the problem in our nation right now....leftist this, leftist that....who the hell cares? Why is it you didn't say "there was another side causing issues in this debacle too" instead of immediately jumping on the "bash a party affiliation" bandwagon? Some agenda?

Of course we should denounce white supremacists; but the problem with them is overstated in my opinion.

Over stated? Tell that to Heyer's mother and remaining friends and family though, I'm certain they feel a bit differently.

In the name of fighting white supremacy, other supremacists have been allowed to flourish and have been celebrated. Almost every university in the country has courses decrying the evils of whiteness for example.

Point me to the curriculum that decries the evils of "whiteness" in THOSE WORDS....not some obscurely worded text that can show how some "white people did bad things".

The real lesson learned here is that if you label your opponent a nazi or something similar, then you no longer are obligated to obey the rule of law, and not only will law enforcement watch you lawlessness, many people wwill celebrate you as a hero.

They are labeling themselves as neo-Nazi's not their opponents.

This will lead to more than just statues being attacked.

I'm aware of that.

Check out comments on some of the other threads about how Trump supporters are nazis, and the white house is now ran by nazis.

If you take as serious or even a measure of any reality, threads created here as to how to guide your life's decisions, then I feel sorry for you or anyone who does, honestly.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

A drawing of Mohammed is enough to offend the radical elements of Islam to kill others.

A statue, a work of art, a representation of a civil war character is enough to offend the radical elements of Idiocy to destroy it.

Interesting.

Sure did.

Criminals sentenced to work in the new world which amounted to nothing more than slavery.

admitting it is one thing, celebrating it is another...but you obviously don't know the difference, because white slaves weren't bought and sold like pieces of property. they also weren't whipped and lynched for 400 years by black masters, and white women weren't raped by their black masters for 400 years....

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

Interesting.

Sure did.

admitting it is one thing, celebrating it is another...but you obviously don't know the difference, because white slaves weren't bought and sold like pieces of property. they also weren't whipped and lynched for 400 years by black masters, and white women weren't raped by their black masters for 400 years....

The problem here is you don't realize not everything that references the civil war celebrates slavery. Even if you limit it to references to the Confederacy, they don't all celebrate slavery. Should we destroy all references to World War 2? All references to the US victory in WW2? Maybe we should tear down all those "symbols of oppression" because the US interned Japanese-Americans during the war. Even if the monument has nothing to do with that act, it still represents those evil oppressors right? Or you could just admit this is a bunch of ridiculousness and people should grow up.
edit on 15 8 17 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Interesting.

Sure did.

There he goes spouting his ignorance again. You pretend that is all that happened. I suggest you pick up a history book and read for once and stop pretending those hollywood movies about the South are anything in historical value. Moron.
edit on 15-8-2017 by 4N0M4LY because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: JimTSpock

The KKK and neo nazis are only a tiny tiny number of people compared to the total population, they are completely irrelevant. I doubt we will see much more trouble from them.
The SJW types are much larger in number and are everywhere by comparison. My 2c.

I agree whole heartedly.

The reason is that neo nazis are almost universally condemned. People may defend their right to think, but almost everyone thinks they are repugnant.

The militant SJW people though are celebrated by a part of the culture; media, celebrities, universities, and politicians have all praised them.

They also seem to rarely get arrested when they are engagingly in violence.

And so we see them escalating this violence, and getting bolder.

The more that officials cave in to them, the more the escalation will grow, and eventually we will see more bloodshed that we are already starting to see.

link   

originally posted by: matafuchs

Mobilized. So do you still think they are not busing these people in. Do you know who else did this? Yup. Nazis.....so if someone does not like something they can remove it. Even from public property.

Slippery slope here folks....

What goes around comes around. War on history is a very US-thing.

Nazis did this, ey? Haha

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

By all rights if the anti fascists,anti racists were being CONSISTENT.

The states that formed the confederacy would be abolished.

Gun Control would be abolished.

The STATE out of marriage would be abolished.

The Democratic Party would be abolished.

Native Americans would have their land returned to them and given reparations instead of living on an extreme pittance from the federal state.

But we all know Anti fascists/Antiracists are bout the most inconsistent group of people in this country.,

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Interesting.

Sure did.

It's much more complex than that. Someone needs a global history lesson on the subject of slavery.

Blacks were enslaving their own for ages before whitey came along. They also aided and abetted slave traders in capturing their own people, but those are inconvenient facts, so no one mentions them much.

Europe, the ME, and Asia had their own brand of servitude, which included widespread subjugation and rape of women and children.

Blacks like to think they've cornered the market on oppression. They are only one of the last in a long, LONG line.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Even the national guard on the state level where the civil war history runs deep. Like an example of the 29th Infantry Division - Stonewall Brigade will be reluctant to agree to putting down citizens that are about saving confederate history because like this unit, they were born from the confederates and have a very long history of honorable soldiers serving.

Good luck to the national guard units that deploy to join the madness.

so...black people of America....can't you celebrate a treasonous southern slave owner trying to keep you as slaves??.....c'mon, don't you like working for free 90 to 100 hours a week, whipped bloody if you get out of line, lynched if you try and escape?.....and as far as black women, hey....any white man can rape them, with no worries....what a glorious and grand confederate history EVERYONE should celebrate!!!!

LOL. Your so full of crap, one X-Lax pill would make you disappear. Go shove bricks mainstream media zombie.

crap?.....tell me what happened to black people in my statement is crap?.....

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Define "SJW" ... as you use and mean the term, because for many posters, it's nothing more than an empty phrase which means "everything I disagree with."

We know it means "social justice warrior" and where it originated. What do you mean when you agree that SJW's are "all over" as opposed to Nazis/White Supremacists/Nationalist's who you also seem to concur are miniscule.

new topics

top topics

<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join