It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesters pull down Confederate statue at old Durham County courthouse

page: 35
<< 32  33  34    36  37  38 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: JimTSpock
Well I might make a statue rights activist group.

These poor statues are clearly being oppressed by white priveliged persons who have the benefits of movement and being alive and such, these poor statues can't defend themselves against this terrible hate crime aggression.

Will no one think of the feelings of the statues? They deserve rights and dignity.

Statuephobic bigot hate crimes will not be tolerated in a tolerant inclusive society!!! Unite against the oppressors comrades.

Maybe we can trick them to go the other way...

Nay I say, they're spies of the oppressors, standing about all day staring.

Why do they watch us constantly, never unwavering in their stance to stare.

Spies I say.

K~

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd
... you do remember that the statue was of one Robert E. Lee?

The reaction was more likely, "oh. Him." than curiosity. He's hardly neglected in the history books.

I do. I think what I was addressing there was more young children than an adult who should already know who it is and why he was significant. I find that children in their younger stages apply more visuals as a learning tool than what can be gleaned from a history book. Or maybe it may give them incentive to now learn more about it because it was in their face and they can apply learning to a visual concept.

I expect to see more cities removing these statues because they don't want these rallies and protests. And after the violence of this weekend, I don't think that they'll be granting the neo-Nazis many parade or assembly permits. Policing something like this, even when non-violent, requires a lot of law enforcement personnel on the spot (and TRAINED ones, who know what's legal to do and what's legal to use.) Most places simply don't have the budget for it.

Removing statues is much easier than putting up with a number of demonstrations.

Agreed. I expect to see that too....yet, I somehow doubt we'll see in the short-term, any drop off in neo-Nazi activity or their desire to parade themselves feeling especially emboldened by the current administration...they've chosen Donald Trump as a reason to foment heightened activity and violence very much in the vein of "get em the hell outta here!"...they see and hear that and it's all the powderflash they needed. I'm not even sure at this point that Donald Trump can be blamed for any of this though, he is just being what he has ALWAYS been, I think these groups were just waiting for their opportunity.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: 123143

Blacks like to think they've cornered the market on oppression. They are only one of the last in a long, LONG line

The new kids on the block are mexicans.

The party of exploitation crying foul.

Don't you love 'Murica ?

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   

I can't believe you guys always overlook the Islamic angle on the history of slavery.

What a great false allusion you're missing out on there, eh!

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: alphabetaone

Why is it you always feel it incumbent upon yourself to decide what it is YOU think I ignore? I'm not ignoring a thing pal. I align with NO ONE....not any group, no political affiliation or any such imagining's in your mind, thus your attempt to elicit some form of loyalty response from me to engage you on behalf of some "side" is moot. Leftists are as much scum as the Right, and your rhetoric is PRECISELY what is causing the problem in our nation right now....leftist this, leftist that....who the hell cares? Why is it you didn't say "there was another side causing issues in this debacle too" instead of immediately jumping on the "bash a party affiliation" bandwagon? Some agenda?

Your second point discussed how people felt if white supremacists would protect one statue, they would rip more down, and there is a problem with the white supremacists hate filled ideology.

No where in your post illustrating what you thought the major take away was did you mention that there was violence coming from the other side.

Over stated? Tell that to Heyer's mother and remaining friends and family though, I'm certain they feel a bit differently.

Of course this was a tragedy and I feel for them.

But yes, the idea of neo nazis being a big problem is way overblown compared to many other reaal problems.

How many neo nazi riots have shut down cities laately? How many speakers are censored by neo nazis? How maany neo nazis have murdered people lately?

Of course there are terribel incidents and groups like this should be shouted down, but they are overblown as a problem.

Point me to the curriculum that decries the evils of "whiteness" in THOSE WORDS....not some obscurely worded text that can show how some "white people did bad things".

Ill answer in next post.

If you take as serious or even a measure of any reality, threads created here as to how to guide your life's decisions, then I feel sorry for you or anyone who does, honestly.

Because the mentality being expressed here is being carried out in real life; like by the people that removed this statue.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

I can't believe you guys always overlook the Islamic angle on the history of slavery.

I did mention the ME in my last post.

Maybe I should have mentioned donkeys.
edit on 8/15/17 by 123143 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: 123143

originally posted by: jimmyx

originally posted by: neo96

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

originally posted by: DBCowboy
A drawing of Mohammed is enough to offend the radical elements of Islam to kill others.

A statue, a work of art, a representation of a civil war character is enough to offend the radical elements of Idiocy to destroy it.

Didn't mohammed own slaves?

Interesting.

Sure did.

There were other slaves here in 'Merica during the early years.

Fans of Black Sails and American Gods would gotten a taste of it.

Criminals sentenced to work in the new world which amounted to nothing more than slavery.

But hey now that's a very glossed over part they don't want to admit.

admitting it is one thing, celebrating it is another...but you obviously don't know the difference, because white slaves weren't bought and sold like pieces of property. they also weren't whipped and lynched for 400 years by black masters, and white women weren't raped by their black masters for 400 years....

It's much more complex than that. Someone needs a global history lesson on the subject of slavery.

Blacks were enslaving their own for ages before whitey came along. They also aided and abetted slave traders in capturing their own people, but those are inconvenient facts, so no one mentions them much.

Europe, the ME, and Asia had their own brand of servitude, which included widespread subjugation and rape of women and children.

Blacks like to think they've cornered the market on oppression. They are only one of the last in a long, LONG line.

and....America passed a law against slavery over 170 years ago, seems the country has moved on, but the confederate lovers haven't....hey if you're for slavery, and want to celebrate a man by erecting a 12 foot high statue of him, just admit it......

link   
a reply to: Grambler

Ans so the mob violence works.

Didn't work for these people.

K~

link   

You need to hit it harder don't you?

Democrats, Muslims, Slavery ... yah sure there's a straight-line connection in 2017 there.

... let's forget the fact that the mentality of the folks who were Democrats in 1860 is the same as Republicans in 2017.

edit on 15-8-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

originally posted by: DBCowboy
A drawing of Mohammed is enough to offend the radical elements of Islam to kill others.

A statue, a work of art, a representation of a civil war character is enough to offend the radical elements of Idiocy to destroy it.

Didn't mohammed own slaves?

Interesting.

Sure did.

There were other slaves here in 'Merica during the early years.

Fans of Black Sails and American Gods would gotten a taste of it.

Criminals sentenced to work in the new world which amounted to nothing more than slavery.

But hey now that's a very glossed over part they don't want to admit.

admitting it is one thing, celebrating it is another...but you obviously don't know the difference, because white slaves weren't bought and sold like pieces of property. they also weren't whipped and lynched for 400 years by black masters, and white women weren't raped by their black masters for 400 years....

It's much more complex than that. Someone needs a global history lesson on the subject of slavery.

Blacks were enslaving their own for ages before whitey came along. They also aided and abetted slave traders in capturing their own people, but those are inconvenient facts, so no one mentions them much.

Europe, the ME, and Asia had their own brand of servitude, which included widespread subjugation and rape of women and children.

Blacks like to think they've cornered the market on oppression. They are only one of the last in a long, LONG line.

and....America passed a law against slavery over 170 years ago, seems the country has moved on, but the confederate lovers haven't....hey if you're for slavery, and want to celebrate a man by erecting a 12 foot high statue of him, just admit it......

My generation learned to tolerate opposing views. Instead of silencing them, we learned to ignore them.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Define "SJW" ... as you use and mean the term, because for many posters, it's nothing more than an empty phrase which means "everything I disagree with."

We know it means "social justice warrior" and where it originated. What do you mean when you agree that SJW's are "all over" as opposed to Nazis/White Supremacists/Nationalist's who you also seem to concur are miniscule.

I said militant sjw.

By SJW I mean a person that engages in identity politics from the left. Theey are annoying and wrong in my opinion, but most of them are not violent and they have every right to express themselves.

I am discussing the ones engaged in violence or intimidation, like at Berkley, Charlottesville, Ferguson, Baltimore, Seattle, Mizzou, DC, the ones in this incident, and maany more.

link   

How many neo nazi riots have shut down cities laately?

Statistically nihl compared to what Occupy and BLM /AntiFA achieved.

link   

Democrats, Muslims, Slavery ... yah sure there's a straight-line connection in 2017 there.

... let's forget the fact that the folks who were Democrats in 1860 are Republicans in 2017.

Neither party resembles its historic roots, so that point is invalid.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Interesting point.

Yet, you seem to want to do a straight-line comparison between the mentality of African tribes 400 years ago with American Blacks today?

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   

... let's forget the fact that the folks who were Democrats in 1860 are Republicans in 2017.

Also, you are cherry-picking my statement, so your argument is, again, invalid.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Interesting point.

Yet, you seem to want to do a straight-line comparison between the mentality of African tribes 400 years ago with American Blacks today?

Are they different? Has their DNA changed?

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Interesting. Thank you!

I'm curious though, what term do you use for those "right-wingers" who participate DAILY in identity politics?

It just seems that you're doing what you commonly accuse others of doing ... you're implying (and stating outright) that those you see as being "on the right" don't use the same techniques as those "on the left."

Just an observation.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Interesting point.

LOL. Careful, you're getting close to sounding like you're spouting eugenics.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Interesting point.

LOL. Careful, you're getting close to sounding like you're spouting eugenics.

Seems pretty neutral to me.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

.. let's forget the fact that the mentality of the folks who were Democrats in 1860 is the same as Republicans in 2017.

Bull and crap.

Democrats are bigger racists/slavers today than in their entire history.

The only difference is from cotton to vote.

new topics

top topics

<< 32  33  34    36  37  38 >>

join