It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesters pull down Confederate statue at old Durham County courthouse

page: 37
<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22
I'm sure U.S. Grant is : "For the present, and so long as there are living witnesses of the great war of sections, there will be people who will not be consoled for the loss of a cause which they believed to be holy. As time passes, people, even of the South, will begin to wonder how it was possible that their ancestors ever fought for or justified institutions which acknowledged the right of property in man."

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

Yes, there are some people alive today who blame other people alive today for slavery.

It doesn't happen nearly enough, however, for it to be the main complaint of so many who address EVERY statement about actual racism by implying that because one accusation made by a few people is false, every accusation of racism is.

It is your opinion that false accusations of "responsibility for slavery" is the main reason the statues are being taken down.

Racism does exist in all people and all cultures. That's like saying we're all selfish, or petty, or otherwise at times.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: Grambler

I'm sure you're not just improvising on the "sjw nationalist" theme but you have something to back that up.

Any examples?

Well perhaps that wasn't the best term.

Though certainly there are groups like black nationalists that can be militant sjw's.

But we also have radical feminists that will flat out tell you that they seek to "tear down the power structure" of patriarchy. They literally mean a totally new government etc. based on women empowerment. This is quite a common belief among many sjw's.

Then there are groups like La Raza (I think they chaanged there name) and other groups that seek to have a nation for Hispanics etc.

But you get the idea.

And again, I will be the first to admit that there are those on the right with the same level of idiocy.

It jjust seems like they have no where near the credibility that is given to these other groups.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: Gryphon66

It's an opinion backed up by facts unlike those that say this nonsense.

let's forget the fact that the mentality of the folks who were Democrats in 1860 is the same as Republicans in 2017.

Example 1.

Hero of the Left

More Hero's of the left:

Another HERO of the left.

America has lost a voice of principle and reason,” the president said.

Spin me another lie

Textbook definition of "uncomfortable truth" for some of the folks around here. Thanks for pointing these out.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Yes, there are some people alive today who blame other people alive today for slavery.

Sure are like the poster than said this:

let's forget the fact that the mentality of the folks who were Democrats in 1860 is the same as Republicans in 2017.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Black nationlists exist? Yep. Radical Feminists? Absolutely.

La Raza doesn't seek to have a nation for Latinos.

... but the blanket application is where the pejorative term "sjw" starts to lose cohesion.

Let's say it this way: some people are part of the idiot fringe.

(I'm working to deprogram myself from the "right/left" false dichotomy.)

If I'm not misreading your primary intention here ... you're reacting to what I call "core authoritarianism."

There are many people who want to control what others do, say and think.

When that want gets translated into law (or violence) is when we have a problem.
edit on 15-8-2017 by Gryphon66 because: spelling

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Black nationlists? Yep. Radical Feminists? Absolutely.

La Raza doesn't seek to have a nation for Latinos.

... but the blanket application is where the pejorative term "sjw" starts to lose cohesion.

Let's say it this way: some people are part of the idiot fringe.

(I'm working to deprogram myself from the "right/left" false dichotomy.)

If I'm not misreading your primary intention here ... you're reacting to what I call "core authoritarianism."

There are many people who want to control what others do, say and think.

When that want gets translated into law (or violence) is when we have a problem.

Well one of the problems with us humans is that we are driven to label everything, and yet those labels often need much to desire.

I don't think we are in disagreement here at all.

No matter what word we use, I am not lumping in not violent people of any belief with the violent ones I am talking about.

I should probably avoid using SJW, just like alt right it is used to lump many things together.

But I like the way you put it, "core authoritarianism".

I do think there needs to be a discussion on why some of it is almost universally disgusted, while others using it seem to get more of a pass from some pretty powerful mainstream people.

But I am with you in condemning all of it.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

originally posted by: neo96

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

originally posted by: DBCowboy
A drawing of Mohammed is enough to offend the radical elements of Islam to kill others.

A statue, a work of art, a representation of a civil war character is enough to offend the radical elements of Idiocy to destroy it.

Didn't mohammed own slaves?

Interesting.

Sure did.

There were other slaves here in 'Merica during the early years.

Fans of Black Sails and American Gods would gotten a taste of it.

Criminals sentenced to work in the new world which amounted to nothing more than slavery.

But hey now that's a very glossed over part they don't want to admit.

admitting it is one thing, celebrating it is another...but you obviously don't know the difference, because white slaves weren't bought and sold like pieces of property. they also weren't whipped and lynched for 400 years by black masters, and white women weren't raped by their black masters for 400 years....

You do realize more than just black people were lynched right?

Also whats with the 400 years, that there confused me?

edit on 15-8-2017 by Irishhaf because: additional thought

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz

originally posted by: Krakatoa

originally posted by: Painterz
Seems quite simple to me. People no longer wish to tolerate having to see symbols of slavery that are worshipped by white supremacists and nazis.

How about instead of blaming civil rights people and black folks and liberals and lefties, you try blaming the screaming violent diehard racists and nazis who made these symbols so thoroughly toxic?

How about NOT destroying history and using it as a teaching tool for the next generation. It can be a constant reminder of what to avoid. If you remove that, then you lose the impact of those horrendous acts, and you will in effect make them even more possible in the future.

History is rife with positive and negative lessons. If only we wish to learn from the mistakes, we would not risk repeating them ad-nausea in the future.

Removal of racist monuments is not the destruction of history.

Should we blow this up then?

2 of them owned slaves, and a 3rd one didn't think blacks should have the same rights as whites. Kinda racist.

edit on 15-8-2017 by Vector99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Abrams calls for removal of Confederate faces off Stone Mountain

Democratic gubernatorial candidate Stacey Abrams called for the removal of the giant carving that depicts three Confederate war leaders on the face of state-owned Stone Mountain, saying it “remains a blight on our state and should be removed.”

“We must never celebrate those who defended slavery and tried to destroy the union,” Abrams said in a series of tweets posted early Tuesday, a response to the deadly violence sparked by white supremacist groups in Charlottesville, Va.

politics.blog.ajc.com...

One more step closer to blasting Jefferson off Mt. Rushmore.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   
How do the people who advocate demolishing those statues feel about what ISIS did to Palmyra? It's basically the same thing, not?
Just curious...

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
How do the people who advocate demolishing those statues feel about what ISIS did to Palmyra? It's basically the same thing, not?
Just curious...

They don't see the connection.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Very good analogy. I'm sure Mr. Tran found that to be acceptable behavior...after all, he and his ilk did just that.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

...and the other was most assuredly a 1%'er.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   

When they are people in a place of power though that say things to reference slavery it is not a good thing. It is the past and we should learn from the past. Not be hateful because of the past. I am an Irish Catholic. 2nd generation born here. I heard the stories. If I tried to compare them to how blacks lived 80-100 years ago I am pushed aside or called...a racist or a liar. If I try to tell how they came off the boat and we counted as 'less than black' people laugh but it is true. When we can compare we can relate and we can agree to NEVER go back to that point.

The KKK also hated Catholics. Killed them. I do not like hate in any fashion but one race cannot decide that only their issues matter and that there is no other racism than against them. A statue does not represent slavery. Should be take down statues of Harriet Tubman since they will conjure up thoughts of slavery? Why would one be allowed to stay and all others go when they both represent a time in our country that we should learn from and not remove.

It amazes me that there are some people who do not even know what 9/11 was. College students who ask for no memorials on campus when it was a pivotal point in our nations history in this new century.

It is not up to one group or collective who should pick what history is. How it is presented. No different than Germany invading France.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   
The only thing that will end the madness is BOTH sides letting go of the past.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

They don't see the connection.

They refuse to see the connection.

The American Taliban or ISIS.

Both do the same thing.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

They would attempt, notice I said attempt, to explain that it is different. It's not. It's history that they find, for what ever reason, objectionable which should be destroyed.

These idiots, and Daesh are kindred souls in this regard.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: 123143

Learning the lessons that history has to teach might be better than merely letting go. But it's better than destroying it.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   
How about we only destroy the memorials, statues and tombstones of Confederate officers...and leave the soldiers' graves alone.

Fair compromise?

After all, the soldiers were just following orders.
edit on 15-8-2017 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join