It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

JAMES COMEY says President Trump Asked Him to JAIL JOURNALISTS for Leaking Classified Info.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

originally posted by: butcherguy
a reply to: Flatfish

For starters, there's a HUGE difference between leaking classified information and reporting on leaked classified information.

I think the US wants to arrest Julian Assange.
Wikileaks does better than report, they back it up with proof. They use things that have been leaked by others... yet Julian Assange is a wanted man.

No, they just publish anything that suits them. There is no proof or proper attribution of sources. Ecery last word could be fiction, and no-one held accountable for it.

Perhaps to some extent; however, the responses from the white house under Trump continues to validate the info.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flatfish

For starters, there's a HUGE difference between leaking classified information and reporting on leaked classified information.

Wikileaks does better than report, they back it up with proof. They use things that have been leaked by others... yet Julian Assange is a wanted man.

No, they just publish anything that suits them. There is no proof or proper attribution of sources. Ecery last word could be fiction, and no-one held accountable for it.

Actually, I'm pretty sure they have perfect record with respect to accuracy of content.

They have established their credibility by releasing genuine stolen documents. Now that their credibility has been established, there is no longer any "need" for accountability. People will believe what ever they publish uncritically.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: butcherguy

The warnings about Wikileaks had to do with people possible putting themselves at criminal risk by downloading/disseminating the files. As well as stating that fake material had been inserted along with hacked material.

Yes, they said it was illegal.
Here is what Wikileaks said about that: Twitter
Yeah, old CNN, looking out for the viewers.... Just read what we say about it, it is illegal for you to read it, but it is okay for us to look at it and tell YOU what to think about it.

Whatever. I read the wikileaks docs.... haven't been jailed over it. Better yet... I didn't depend on taking CNN's word for what was there.

It IS illegal!

LOL

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

What does that have to do with Trump asking Comey to jail journalists for leaks?

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Comey isn't coming after anyone with any barrels blazing. It's all leaked from "anonymous" sources.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 08:45 AM
link   

My feelings towards Julian Assange and the manner in which he releases information is ample topic for a whole & separate debate, but I will say this;

To my knowledge, Julian Assange is not a citizen of the United States and I would assume that from a legal standpoint, he would not be afforded the protections offered to U.S. citizens by the Constitution.

He needs to sneak across the border to become an undocumented worker, then he would have Constitutional protections!

That's an idea, but hey, it could be worse.

If he, or I, were to go around drawing cartoon depictions of the prophet Muhammad, we could end up on the most wanted lists of every Muslim nation on the globe.

I can see it now, WANTED!.......Beheaded Or Not!

My biggest problem with Assange is the way he releases unfiltered information that can immediately endanger the lives of people working in the field. People who are just following orders.

Truth on the other hand, is a hard thing to argue against and I won't.

I think someone important once said; "The truth will set you free."

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Great points, I have been starring your posts... not typical for me!

IIRC, there have been cases where Assange alerted the US before release of some documents, granted it was a short notice that he gave, but I believe he has done it.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 08:53 AM
link   
It shouldn't be the fact that journalists are reporting the leaks that bothers people, it should be that the government's classified s# is flowing out like water in damn sieve.

Maybe bark up the right tree and demand leaks be plugged & punished at the source rather than the destination instead of ignoring the problem.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 08:54 AM
link   

The warnings about Wikileaks had to do with people possible putting themselves at criminal risk by downloading/disseminating the files. As well as stating that fake material had been inserted along with hacked material.

Yes, they said it was illegal.
Here is what Wikileaks said about that: Twitter
Yeah, old CNN, looking out for the viewers.... Just read what we say about it, it is illegal for you to read it, but it is okay for us to look at it and tell YOU what to think about it.

Whatever. I read the wikileaks docs.... haven't been jailed over it. Better yet... I didn't depend on taking CNN's word for what was there.

It IS illegal!

LOL

Is it legal for CNN to read them?
I mean, they have the security clearances and a need to know... right?
LOL
edit on b000000312017-05-17T08:56:15-05:0008America/ChicagoWed, 17 May 2017 08:56:15 -0500800000017 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Actually, I'm pretty sure they have perfect record with respect to accuracy of content.

They have established their credibility by releasing genuine stolen documents. Now that their credibility has been established, there is no longer any "need" for accountability. People will believe what ever they publish uncritically.

All it takes for literally anyone to disprove any document or email published by Wikileaks is for them to provide their own copy of the email/document in question and show the inaccuracies.

To date, I don't believe there's a single case where anyone has presented a substantial challenge to the accuracy of content of a Wikileaks release.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
It shouldn't be the fact that journalists are reporting the leaks that bothers people, it should be that the government's classified s# is flowing out like water in damn sieve.

Maybe bark up the right tree and demand leaks be plugged & punished at the source rather than the destination instead of ignoring the problem.

The problem is the "leaks" are all suggesting that the administration is dangerously corrupt. Are you suggesting that people who expose corruption should be punished the way they are in Russia?

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   

All it takes for literally anyone to disprove any document or email published by Wikileaks is for them to provide their own copy of the email/document in question and show the inaccuracies.

Really? So if I provide a copy of an email and claim it is the original, that would satisfy you? Even if it completely contradicts everything WikiLeaks claims and is the opposite of what you believe?

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
Comey isn't coming after anyone with any barrels blazing. It's all leaked from "anonymous" sources.

Uh, no. It is leaked by known sources whose identities are being protected. Trump can fix all this be releasing his tapes of the incident. He did imply he taped it, didn't he? Or was that just another lie?

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 09:01 AM
link   

The problem is the "leaks" are all suggesting that the administration is dangerously corrupt. Are you suggesting that people who expose corruption should be punished the way they are in Russia?

There are several problems with things like this.
The recent release of the CIA toolbox (Vault 7) has led to 'bad guys' getting the stuff that our government had at their disposal for cyber espionage and hacking.
We do need the tools at our disposal, but we have found that the CIA has things that we as citizens should fear.
Maybe the CIA should have been a little more careful about their security in that case?

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 09:03 AM
link   

What does that have to do with Trump asking Comey to jail journalists for leaks?

When did he ask?

Why wasn't it reported to the AG?

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Not necessarily. Whistleblowers are always going to sound alarms with a great risk of legal & personal safety peril, and in most of the cases, it's been quite warranted to do so. I can't argue with that, it's a version of checks & balances we need.

My comment was more specific to the folks who'd rather see the journalists locked up for doing their job with their material. It's akin to giving the bootleggers a free pass to keep bootlegging, while locking up the drunks instead & scapegoating them as the devil incarnate. Well yanno, drunks & journalists don't just pull their goodies out of their asses...
edit on 5/17/2017 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 09:06 AM
link   

The AG cannot be trusted any more.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 09:07 AM
link   

The AG cannot be trusted any more.

Then why bother?

Really. Why bother with any of this.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Really? So if I provide a copy of an email and claim it is the original, that would satisfy you? Even if it completely contradicts everything WikiLeaks claims and is the opposite of what you believe?

If Assange published emails that he claimed were hacked from you and then you published the originals that were different than those posted by Wikileaks, yeah I think it would raise questions with respect to accuracy.

If Assange did that to me and I knew it was false and/or misleading, I would immediately publish the originals and all supporting documentation in order to support my version of events.

No one has done that or anything even remotely similar and the fact that they haven't, speaks volumes.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Maybe the CIA should have been a little more careful about their security in that case?

Maybe Russia should have been more discreet. They are getting carried away by the success of Operation Trump and are starting to make silly mistakes.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join