It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Study - Transgender myth exposed - a mental disorder.

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

I support your right to identify as an attack chopper, because I feel it falls under the second amendment protections. You get those hellfire missile pod and .30 caliber gun attachments boy! I think thats just straight sexy!

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

So what is your solution? What type of therapy will solve the problem (that hasn't already been tried)? What drug will fix it?

It's not incumbent on me to provide a solution. Why would you assume I have one? Are you suggesting that if I don't have a "solution" to advocate for, I'm some how disqualified from evaluating solutions proposed by others?

But, as I touched on with another member, I am curious about whether or not brain scans might be used to fine tune cognitive therapy, perhaps allow for objective measurement and so on. And by that I mean on an individual basis.

Since you seem to know so much better than the medical professionals that have been dealing with this for decades.

Setting aside your silly and childish implication, thank you for bringing that up. It brings things back to the notion that this is "settled science" and that all physicians agree on it, you know except for those "125 religious nuts".

Look here:

BU REVIEW OF ARTICLE REFERENCED IN HUFF PO LINK

This is an over view on Boston University's site of the study that Huff Po spoke about in the link you provided. I can't locate the actual study, its in "Endocrine Practice" but the over view it self is interesting:

Medical care of transgender patients, including surgical and hormonal treatment, has largely been met with resistance by physicians in favor of psychiatric treatment

WHAT? That's not what you folks have been implying. I take that to mean that most Physicians have favored psychiatric treatment rather than surgical and hormonal treatment. Doesn't sound like it's only "125 religious nuts" , sounds like most physicians.

In fairness though, the article in "Endocrine Practice" hopes to change "physicians perspective on transgender medicine"

But why do they need to change the perspective of physicians? According to you lot, they already embrace hormonal and surgical treatment, that it's only irrational religious nuts that don't accept the efficacy and appropriateness of surgical and hormonal treatment. EXCEPT APPARENTLY PHYSICIANS LARGELY RESIST HORMONAL AND SURGICAL TREATMENT PERFERRING INSTEAD PSYCHIATRIC TREATMENT.

Before anyone jumps to the conclusion that this article provides conclusive proof that gender dysphoria has a causative physical/genetic component:

. . . there is increasing evidence of a biological basis for gender identity

"Increasing" means they are accumulating evidence they can interpret as supporting a genetic/physical component. Not that they're interpreting the data correctly or that they've established with certainty.

AND

Different etiologies have been suggested as the cause of transgender identify however none have been proven definitively.

None proven definitively.

The researchers conducted a literature search and reviewed articles that showed positive biologic bases for gender identity

One has to ask just how selective this review was. Are their studies that didn't show positive biological basis for gender identity, what about studies that showed positive psychological basis for gender identity, if so were they ignored?

They conclude that current data suggests a biological etiology for transgender identity.

"Suggests" . . . I see.

According to the researchers the article does have some limitations due to the small numbers of individuals studied and therefore conclusions should be drawn with caution.

I see, "conclusions should be drawn with caution" Someone should have told Joshua D Safer that because he's jumped without warrant, from limited studies with small numbers of participants that could cautiously suggest a causal physical/genetic component to gender dysphoria to "This paper represents the first somprehensive review of the scientific evidence that gender identify IS a biological phenomenon"

I think some of you are very naïve about the kinds of pressures, confirmation biases and just generally bad thinking that can occur in these closed specialty research communities. But then again, they are telling you what you want to hear, so they must be right . . . right?

edit on 14-5-2017 by imwilliam because: spellin, removed some vulgar swear words, you know, the usual

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: imwilliam

Psychology has an emense problem and that is it is failing to make an ontological claim.

What is the profession using as standard?
For instance if a society needed workers with ADD would it be treated as a mental disorder? Or is it a mental disorder once it's framed into a certain perspective. Is there an etic and emic process?

So in truth the only reality is in the patient and their recovery from whatever caused then to not be happy within a social construct.

Transgenderism is no exception. What is the ontological claim in psychology? That a person fitting into a specific society is reality. Are mental illnesses the same in every culture? Or are we making them the same by creating a monoculture?

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: CrapAsUsual

Actually it occurs in nature and the animals are perfectly fine. No its a natural means of population control that is hardwired into the Genes when certain conditions are met.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

Well since Medical science does not know how the mind actually works then all this crap should be shelved until its proven instead of punishing people who are different than the norm in the mean time.

But I have had my chemistry tested when i was younger and had more female chemistry than male. That was three decades ago now though.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

Well since Medical science does not know how the mind actually works then all this crap should be shelved until its proven instead of punishing people who are different than the norm in the mean time.

But I have had my chemistry tested when i was younger and had more female chemistry than male. That was three decades ago now though.

Ok...then fine. But why would you now have to have expensive, brutal and mutilating surgery? An Alligator doesn't have surgery to become a frog? Why would someone like you need surgery to become something else??? Why aren't you just what nature intended. Why aren't you perfect the way you are.

Why is "trans" required? How about just call yourself...unique and leave it at that?

I'll tell you why...BECAUSE OTHERS ARE TELLING YOU THAT YOU MUST! THAT is the problem. THEY want you to join them instead of just being the wonderful, perfect, natural being you are.

So...who is your enemy?
edit on 5/14/2017 by WeAreAWAKE because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   

But its not unbelievable to think trauma is the cause of transgender beliefs.

So instead of working to cure and heal the trauma they reinforce and support the trauma, in what other area of psychology is this done ?

Transgender children don't wonder. They KNOW what gender they are.

Maybe it's just me, but common wisdom would justify waiting until the onset of puberty when the hormones kick in, at least wait until then, that blast of hormones could sort them out.
edit on 14-5-2017 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue_Jay33

But its not unbelievable to think trauma is the cause of transgender beliefs.

So instead of working to cure and heal the trauma they reinforce and support the trauma, in what other area of psychology is this done ?

Absolutely none!!! It would be considered negligent, malpractice and vindictive. It would likely cause the "professional" to lose their license, and maybe even include fines and/or jail time. Especially if they used this in a plan to line their pockets, or those of others.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   

PS: They also don't want to admit their "disease" especially after surgery and admit they were fools and pawns and now mutilated. Again...back to the suicide.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Me? I just want to be a goat. So I can sing!!!!!

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE

PS: They also don't want to admit their "disease" especially after surgery and admit they were fools and pawns and now mutilated. Again...back to the suicide.

We all know from growing up people can change and sometimes dramatically, imagine getting surgery as young as possible, and then at 30 realizing you made a huge mistake, that due to some type of trauma you felt they way you did then, but now you sorted through it all and returned mentally to normality.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   
What's the average age the doctors won't allow women to get their tubes tied because they worry they may change their minds when they get older and regret it?

But let's allow children to undergo hormonal therapy because they "feel" like something they aren't.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeathSlayer
The fiction that a person can chose their gender does not help those who are confused. Now that is a powerful statement. How many times have you read or heard of transgenders who are/were confused?

And look how some states not only support these confused people but have passed laws to make them more comfortable and open to their mental disease. This is nothing more than perversion.

Never had these issues when we had metal psych wards. Now we medicate and have to feel good helping them in the public. Big mistake. It is a mental disease and should be treated as such.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

It's something that has to be deeply thought about. I have friends who are as conservative as can be. He is in the service and his wife was before they had a child. The child has grow up on bases and is Transgender.

Can you honestly say there is no possible correlation to hormone increases in food, synthetics creating hormonal changes like estrogen/plastic, and just plain unexplained anomaly and mutation?

Perhaps it's a case by case basis. We probably need to learn how to analyze things based on their unique circumstance rather than in groups.

However, the violence, hazing, bullying, etc that occur to humans who are anomalies has NO JUSTIFICATION whatever anyone's personal opinion is.

Do you have to fix a purple flower that was supposed to be yellow? Not really.

Do you need to fix a broken stem. If you can you should. The result is the proof. Whatever it ends up.
edit on 14-5-2017 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Again...they probably need some therapy to deal with that...but that would be my current suggestion.

Therapy alone has NEVER solved the problem of dysphoria. The dysphoria still exists and it is making them miserable to the point of suicide. Now what?

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   

www.foxnews.com...

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

www.foxnews.com...

"Fox News"
"Author claimed"
DISMISSED!

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue_Jay33
]

Therapy IS given to help the trauma of the dysphoria. Doesn't cure the dysphoria though. Now what?

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I love how uncomfortable this makes some people. It almost seems like some people are projecting their insecurities. Why do they care so much about what a private person does? You guys are practically talking like you can be happy in a world with gender variant people.
I can say unequivocally, because I know, these situations aren't pressure from society. It comes from a person's own biophysiological makeup.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   
It might seem new because of people who talk about it being a sickness needing curing that they didn't speak up as much in the past. It's real. And again , why should anyone feel like they need to "cure" gender dysphoria, because you're that uncomfortable living in society with those people.

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join