It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY officials to scrap literacy test for teachers because "Blacks and Hispanics couldnt pass".

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mictain
The education system was based on only teaching whites but times are changing and western countries have become more multi-cultured, so the education system should reflect this.

Bull.

Math has no racial bias.

Science has no racial bias.

The standards set the by educational system have dropped.

We need to raise standards and start actually teaching.
edit on 12-3-2017 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Math has no racial bias.

Science has no racial bias.

I doubt those are the issues surrounding the story, probably based on history, social issues..etc.

Those topics need to reflect the change. America needs to teach the real history and go in depth, not blurb here and there. Teach how Canada and America were founded the real story, not the sugar coated versions they teach.
edit on 12-3-2017 by Mictain because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mictain
originally posted by: Konduit

Liberal Logic 101: Don't give them a hand-up, give them a hand-out.

The Democrats benefit more from minorities being dependent victims rather than educated, independent citizens. Detroit and Chicago are prime examples, both cities have been under Democrat control for over 50 years and have practically become a dystopia... yet people keep voting them in.

It's almost like a political form of Stockholm Syndrome.

If one thing is for certain, just because you have an education, it does not mean you are intelligent or competent, just look at all the politicians in office right now.

Yeah, the Dems seem to be making sure this is the case with the teachers they are hiring. Really puts the entire party into perspective.

edit on 12-3-2017 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Liberal Logic 101: Don't give them a hand-up, give them a hand-out.

The Democrats benefit more from minorities being dependent victims rather than educated, independent citizens. Detroit and Chicago are prime examples, both cities have been under Democrat control for over 50 years and have practically become a dystopia... yet people keep voting them in.

It's almost like a political form of Stockholm Syndrome.

Perfectly stated.
edit on 3/12/2017 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: RedDragon

Wow you just blew my mind exactly what I was thinking I'm not racist I calls it as I sees it gangs blacks Latinos white supremacists all need to be curbed but the blacks and Latinos kill each other the white power people like to kill other races so that's why they hate whites so much we don't harm other whites as they harm their own again not a racist look at Chicago blacks and Latinos killing blacks and Latinos not white on white that only happens in the trailer parks

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   

a reply to: Aazadan

That's where parental rights reign.

The education system is horrible at defining standards.

The math, science sores ranked show it.

We've allowed a corrupt system to educate our children and they have done an absolutely miserable job.

We must have different definitions of the word horrible. Our PISA results which just came out were absolutely fantastic.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Yeah, the Democrats seem to be making sure this is the case with the teachers they are hiring. Really puts the entire party into perspective.

Well your party can't claim to a be party of education when they continually choose to ignore science regarding gays, transsexuals , climate change..etc. Not only do they ignore science but they also choose to ignore that the entire political and social institutions are based on systemic racism and not to mention ignore the cultural differences that each has but would rather have people assimilated instead of bringing and sharing their culture.

They would rather stay in the little bubble they have created around them.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Betsy DeVos will solve this problem.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

a reply to: Aazadan

That's where parental rights reign.

The education system is horrible at defining standards.

The math, science sores ranked show it.

We've allowed a corrupt system to educate our children and they have done an absolutely miserable job.

We must have different definitions of the word horrible. Our PISA results which just came out were absolutely fantastic.

Being the "best" that is 37th in the world is not much to brag about.

Might as well just call yourself #1 and ignore the rest of the planet.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Mictain

Math.

MATH.

Just raise the scores to somewhere above the bottom.

Math.

Who does "math" anymore?

Dear god, who can still solve equations without a calculator?

We're setting the standard at "Drooling Moron" and people are worried about feelings and unicorns.

SMGDH

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Being the "best" that is 37th in the world is not much to brag about.

Might as well just call yourself #1 and ignore the rest of the planet.

That's not how PISA is meant to be used.

Here's a thread that "discusses" it. Well, I say discuss, but no one other than me wanted to talk about it.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

And the dumbing down continues

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 08:39 PM
link   

That's precisely what Common Core is built to do.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 08:42 PM
link   
The only science for transsexuals is psychology due to it being a mental disorder, and the science on climate change is not settled. With climate change humans are trying to apply cycles of tens of millions of years to human timescales of centuries.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

That's precisely what Common Core is built to do.

And it has failed.

I didn't have "common core" and calculators were forbidden at school.

Reinventing something that worked great while the new version sucks should tell you to quit doing it.

If you want to continue lauding the educational system in America, then you are going to make a fool of yourself.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Totally right.

2+2=4 unless you are black and then it might equal 5 because it would be racist to suggest otherwise, but if you are Latino it might be 3 on Tuesday and 8 on every other Wednesday. Asians always insist it's 4 because they're odd that way, and whites mostly say it's 4 which is racist.

Of course, a lot of Christians think it might be 4 too, so the gays are thinking it might be bigoted to call the answer 4. It might be binumeraled or homonumeraled in which case 2+2 just might equal 2. And the transgendered want 2+2 to equal either 2 or 4 depending on which answer the equation thinks it might be.

And as a teacher, you should never, ever judge because we need to be inclusive of all answers. Therefore 2+2 is whatever answer little Johnny comes up with as long as he (or she because who am I to judge) show how the answer was derived.

And it does seem to me that this is how common core math is sometimes graded.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Actually, you did have "common core". So did I.
It was called the "3 Rs". Remember?

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

And it does seem to me that this is how common core math is sometimes graded.

Well, guess what? You're wrong.

Now, I can understand you not liking some of what is taught in school nowdays. But, it's not the same world we grew up in. And now matter how much we think "There's no place like home!", it never will be. Click your heels all you want.

Because intercontinental travel is not a big deal anymore. And we now have the "sum of human knowledge" at our fingertips (even though a good part of what our fingers may find is lies).

edit on 3/12/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: DBCowboy

Actually, you did have "common core". So did I.
It was called the "3 Rs". Remember?

Dear god.

You going to actually tell me that the three "r's" are being taught in school and that it is common core?

I know it's the internet and anyone can say anything, and I've written some epically stupid things in my life.

You just outdid me.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 09:08 PM
link   

And it has failed.

Reinventing something that worked great while the new version sucks should tell you to quit doing it.

If you want to continue lauding the educational system in America, then you are going to make a fool of yourself.

It hasn't failed though. Many areas are teaching it poorly, yet math tests are increasing. PISA is one example. It's quite common for people to cry that the schools are going to hell, the youth suck, and everything was better back in their day but reality doesn't match the rhetoric.

Every single person with a good math background will tell you that the way they're teaching math under common core (which is the only subject it currently deals with) is the best way to do things. It's all about mental math.

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? If I'm right about your age, then chances are you actually were taught the same techniques they're teaching in common core today. In the late 60's through the 70's, there was a big upheavel in the teaching system, where they went to a new system. Through the 80's that was repealed since it was found to be a failure, and they went back to what actually worked. Problem is, all the teachers went through the "new" system, and are having a tough time adjusting to doing math properly.

Can you even lay out and solve a single problem according to how it's being taught? Which I'll point out, is how math was taught for hundreds of years. Or are you complaining over nothing?

nces.ed.gov...

Check out those math scores. Just about all of them show improvement, despite the fact that the vast majority of adults seem to be too stupid to understand grade school math these days due to the fact that they always have a calculator on them.
edit on 12-3-2017 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join