It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY officials to scrap literacy test for teachers because "Blacks and Hispanics couldnt pass".

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+51 more 
posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Test Meant to Screen Teachers Instead Weeded Out Minorities.

NEW YORK (AP) — New York education officials are poised to scrap a test designed to measure the reading and writing skills of people trying to become teachers, in part because an outsized percentage of black and Hispanic candidates were failing it.

This was an unintentional consequence.

The State was not trying to exclude minorities.

So now the State is going to lower standards or do away with the test altogether?

This is an example of political correctness with real world consequences.

Are people really going to allow illiterate or uneducated people to "teach" their children...?

edit on 12-3-2017 by gladtobehere because: typo

+34 more 
posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

Finally, an even playing field?

After all why should teachers have to be competent?

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I can hear crickets

+37 more 
posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Wow. So they discovered a real and serious problem with their education system, but are going to ignore it so nobodies feelings get hurt...

Yeah I can see why these teachers are failing literacy screenings.

+25 more 
posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Next up - scrapping literacy tests for students.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

After all why should teachers have to be competent?
Well maybe having a degree of some other document is only meant to be a token and really not part of the real world .[sarc]

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Tough to comment because it's not nice to talk about mental problems especially when it's a office in the state government. Humm hard to decide what's worse being accused of being mentally deficient or racist. Seems ok to be stupid.

+41 more 
posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   
It makes sense. Literacy tests have a long history of being used by racists in things such as preventing blacks from voting. No need to carry out that racist past time in the 21st century.

Test scores, grades, etc. are also things that we need to excuse black people from in the 21st century. Black people are sub-human and can't be treated like normal people.

--- The thought process of Democratic policy makers, who somehow get 92% of the black vote.

This post wasn't serious; I'm not a racist. It's a sarcastic but dry humor expose of the reality of how liberals think about black people and other minorities. They think that black people are subhuman and that they themselves are the black peoples' white knights in shining armor that black people can't succeed without.

They think your'e too stupid get an ID to vote. They think you're too stupid to take literacy tests to be a teacher. They think you're too stupid to get into college on your own. They think you're too stupid to be judged by your grades. They think you're too stupid to be judged by test scores. They think you're too lazy to be judged by your own work. So, they must help you elevate yourself from beast to man-beast.

If you accept that interpretation of yourself, and have that kind of self-respect, nothing will change for African Americans, ever. There's no such thing as a free lunch; these programs might get African Americans ahead in the short term but they will prevent you from addressing the real causes of your problems, and, in doing so, retard and limit your ultimate potential of achieving real equality and real equity.
edit on 3/12/17 by RedDragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   

The reformers believe tests like New York's Academic Literacy Skills Test can serve to weed out aspiring teachers who aren't strong students. But the literacy test raised alarms from the beginning because just 46 percent of Hispanic test takers and 41 percent of black test takers passed it on the first try, compared with 64 percent of white candidates. A federal judge ruled in 2015 that the test was not discriminatory, but faculty members at education schools say a test that screens out so many minorities is problematic.

I would think the problems started long before they ever came to take this test.

Leaders of the education reform movement have complained for years about the caliber of students entering education schools and the quality of the instruction they receive there. A December 2016 study by the National Council on Teacher Quality found that 44 percent of the teacher preparation programs it surveyed accepted students from the bottom half of their high school classes.

I think this is the real problem that they are skirting over, to make it look like minorities can't compete equally. The truth is probably that the minorities that ranked higher in their grades, did not want the job of being underpaid, unrespected, teachers.

+13 more 
posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Perhaps that is why Trump want to scrap this joke of a department?

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   
"Under a provision in the new state budget, any graduate-level teacher training program that has fewer than 50 percent of its students pass each certification exam for three consecutive years will not be able to admit new students."

Annnnnnd here's one of the reasons.

Omg what about the kiddies?!?!?!?

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Breakthestreak
I can hear crickets

They sound so peaceful.

Ahhhhahahahahaha!!

The system is so broke.

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

You mean that the people getting a degree can't pass the Dept of Ed's?

Something is a miss, lowering the bar is a liberal way out of hard work.

+5 more 
posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Don't care where the problem started. you are not competent to teach.

NEXT!

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Sigh, wouldnt it be more productive to raise investments in the educational programs and give these folks a real chance?

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: gladtobehere

Test Meant to Screen Teachers Instead Weeded Out Minorities.

NEW YORK (AP) — New York education officials are poised to scrap a test designed to measure the reading and writing skills of people trying to become teachers, in part because an outsized percentage of black and Hispanic candidates were failing it.

This was an unintentional consequence.

The State was not trying to exclude minorities.

So now the State is going to lower standards or do away with the test altogether?

This is an example of political correctness with real world consequences.

Are people really going to allow illiterate or uneducated people to "teach" their children...?

Hell No. I have not seen the test but provided it does not have a huge cultural bias then let those cannot pass the test then let them find alternative work. However an intelligent reading of the OP does indicate (to me at least) that not all minorities fail this test. I would love to see some of our ATSers sitting that test (lol).

Do not lower our already low standards!
edit on 12-3-2017 by Tiger5 because: Add in more text

edit on 12-3-2017 by Tiger5 because: Add in more text

link   

And you'll still find people lauding our public school system.

link   

Agreed. Study harder, take the test again.

The secret to life is finding the right path. I don't get to go to the Harvard club because I studied my arse off, I get to go because my girlfriend did.

link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

In Mich it the "investment" is between 10,000 and 13,000$ per student.

How much more do you think it will require?

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: the2ofusr1

You mean that the people getting a degree can't pass the Dept of Ed's?

Something is a miss, lowering the bar is a liberal way out of hard work.

I keep telling people something is seriously wrong with the education system and has been wrong for a long time!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join