It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY officials to scrap literacy test for teachers because "Blacks and Hispanics couldnt pass".

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Actually, they can give points for showing the process even if the answer is wrong, but they won't get point for the right answer if they don't show process.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

gg to the next gen

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   
It's funny I constantly see Liberals crying and botching about the quality of American education vs. the rest of the developed world. And then in the same breath, they want to scrap high school level, HIGH SCHOOL level literacy tests for teachers because of political correctness and Social Justice? So #ing retarded.

Secondly, how the # are ANY teachers failing literacy tests? AFAIK, a mother#ing Bachelor's degree is generally required to teach. How the # did these people get through 4 or more years of college without a high school level of literacy?

Libs: Either stop bitching about American education, or stop inundating our public education with Social Justice Bull#. You've reached a point where they are now mutually exclusive.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yeah. So, "show your work" is a bad thing?

Since when? I had to do it, didn't you? How else can it be determined where the lack of understanding of the material arises?

edit on 3/12/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Yeah. So, "show your work" is a bad thing?

Since when? I had to do it, didn't you?

I did, but no matter how many steps I had, I never got points if the answer was wrong.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 09:12 PM
link   

And it's all about points.
Not learning.
Got it.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Where is the US ranked next to other industrial nations in terms of math, science?

The new math of the 60's is not common core. You can stop selling me a dog turd and calling it candy. I'm not going to buy it.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I don't know why it is so painful to some to see how backwards the US educational system has become.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Where is the US ranked next to other industrial nations in terms of math, science?

Not great. Where was it before 2010?

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   

And it's all about points.
Not learning.
Got it.

I disagree.

There is something very wrong when a kid who can't get the answer gets points but a kid with the answer doesn't get any credit for it.

In my experience, no matter how many steps I had, if I came up with the wrong answer, I'd done something wrong, so whatever pretty little process I'd taken all that time to right out was pretty much crap. Why give points for crap? After all, it's in the steps where the actual mistake is and that's what your giving them credit for. Hey look! You're getting credit for effing up and not getting the right answer.

Sure you can learn from your mistakes, and the good teachers use them to teach you, but you don't get credit for them as if they are as important as getting it right.
edit on 12-3-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Actually, they can give points for showing the process even if the answer is wrong, but they won't get point for the right answer if they don't show process.

Math has always been taught that way. I can almost guarantee it was for you too. I attended grade school in three different states and (I think) we're about the same age. We should have had a similar experience. The exact percentage will vary by the teacher, but the process to arrive at an answer is always worth more than the answer itself. I remember teachers in grade school who didn't even look at the answer, because it wasn't important. Either you got the steps right, or you didn't. A correct answer without the correct steps was worthless. That's how math works.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Sure you can learn from your mistakes, and the good teachers use them to teach you, but you don't get credit for them as if they are as important as getting it right.

So, the kid who transposes digits somewhere in the process (but understands the process) gets the same score as the kid that gets the right answer? Is that the way it works? If so, you're right, it doesn't make sense.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

No.

You got no points for the wrong process, wrong answer and no points for the right answer, no process.

Maybe my school was stocked with a bunch of hard ass math teachers.
edit on 12-3-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Yep.

It's about learning how to check your work.

Transposing your digits is something you should be learning how to watch for on your own because when you are all growed up big, you have to do that for yourself.

Unless you are a child with a specific issue that causes you to transpose numbers, then you need to take care and watch for that while you do your work.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   

So, you can unequivocally state that with two kids who demonstrate their level of understanding by showing their work, the student who gets an incorrect answer will get the same score as one who gets a correct answer.

I don't believe you.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 09:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Not too different from when I took Algebra and Calculus back in the 1960's.

I thought that was pretty standard for math, frankly.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Not great. Where was it before 2010?

Don't care.

Probably not great either.

Same as in 2000.

And 1990.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 09:30 PM
link   

So...the problem isn't Common Core?

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 09:38 PM
link   
The problem is, too much tests, not enough teaching. Also too much chemicals in our food.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   

So...the problem isn't Common Core?

Common core is just the latest problem.

believe it or not, but there are multiple problems associated with the educational system.

You might need a calculator to total all of the problems.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join