It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY officials to scrap literacy test for teachers because "Blacks and Hispanics couldnt pass".

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   
America just got placed from being the 36th most educated country in the world to the 37th. Awwwe hell just put the U.S. at the 50th place.

Because we want an increase in dumber people for the rich and savvy to control. YAY! What's not to like, huh?
edit on 12-3-2017 by 4N0M4LY because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: 4N0M4LY

Time to throw more money at it. Right?

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   

More dumber? Lol

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheAlleghenyGentleman

More dumber? Lol

YUP!!! More dumber. US Education system working perfectly as you can tell!

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   
if you cant pass a literacy test, you dont deserve to teach

no wonder public schools are so terrible today

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Sweeeeet!!!!

I agree, knock us back to 50. That may be the only time this country as a whole takes notice.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Did anyone else notice our most liberal members are replying to this thread?? I won't name them, but the infiltrate ever pro Trump post!

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   
But remember kids .... your own parents are likely less competent to teach you than the very professional and highly edumakated people we have in your classroom.

*snort*

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Are you talking about my dads alcoholism and coke problem again?

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yeah, where are the ones insulting the home-school parents?

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Why bother anymore.

Just pass everyone with an 'A' and send them on through.

People act like there's gonna be jobs in the future for all these kids.

A.I will kill off that idea.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: gladtobehere

Test Meant to Screen Teachers Instead Weeded Out Minorities.

NEW YORK (AP) — New York education officials are poised to scrap a test designed to measure the reading and writing skills of people trying to become teachers, in part because an outsized percentage of black and Hispanic candidates were failing it.

This was an unintentional consequence.

The State was not trying to exclude minorities.

So now the State is going to lower standards or do away with the test altogether?

This is an example of political correctness with real world consequences.

Are people really going to allow illiterate or uneducated people to "teach" their children...?

It strikes me that not all teachers are English majors, and as an English teacher myself, I cannot do math to save my life. I think that teachers ought to know their respective fields, but I don't expect a Chemistry teacher to be able to tell me what a dangling past participle is. Obviously primary school teachers have to have a broad set of knowledge, but even then there will be strong subjects and weak subjects for every teacher. The same applies to each student.

That being said, lowering standards for teachers is not the answer. The answer is attracting a higher caliber of teachers in the first place. Most people that are good at it are not willing to put up with the system, including the admin, parents, and sadly, the students. Getting rid of the DOE would be a good start.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Words are racist because some demographics can't use them. Best to outlaw all forms of written communication.

a reply to: gladtobehere

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

I guess Im opining more for appropriately utilized funds

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: RedDragon

OK but there are prominent and educated black liberals so that cannot be the full story! Something else is going on perhaps and your reasoning may be wrong.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

What does that mean?

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterMcKill

But something is still wrong with the education. Science majors must be able to write. I am dyslexic but write well if allowing myself extra time to edit. The Arts people must be able to do basic maths. US universities offer remedial courses so perhaps a course in preparation to ace the test could be a winner. The big problem is however the poor pay and conditions in teaching and the crisis of leadership, as you implied.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Schools are now training Ritalin-popping followers instead of leaders.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Better use of already appropriated funds, a return to traditional teaching using actual math english civics history and geography etc...

Rather than wasting childrens time and minds using common core methods...particularly mathematics

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: WUNK22
Did anyone else notice our most liberal members are replying to this thread?? I won't name them, but the infiltrate ever pro Trump post!

I think I am one of the most liberal people here. Live and let live and don't give unnecessary offence is my way. So I am on this thread which blows your half-assed theory out of the water! But your efforts are appreciated lol.

There is still a big problem with our education system. What are your ideas for fixing it?

edit on 12-3-2017 by Tiger5 because: editing

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join