It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump SLASHES 12 BILLION in Debt IN HIS FIRST MONTH

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   
What this source does not tell us, which is very important, is how many treasury securities had matured or been redeemed/purchased during that time period.

That would tell us bit more.
edit on 23-2-2017 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Debt doesn't equal the amount spent (unless you're Bush or Obama and do all of your spending against the nation's credit line). Debt is Income minus expenditures. Either the US government has brought in 12 Billion more than it spent or it spent 12 billion less than it brought in. Whichever it was, go team!

No it isn't. Income minus expenditures could be PROFIT.

Debt is something owed to someone. Period. You can be in operating PROFIT and still be in DEBT. Corporations aren't your family checkbook, and Government isn't a Corporation either.

Most Government debt is the liability the Government has to its citizens in form of the Social Security system. Social Security Administration is required to buy Government Bonds. That is where the Government debt is.

EDIT: what I meant to convey there is that Social Security is the single largest holder of Government Debt in the form of bonds. Social Security holds more than twice the debt that China does. Social Security's bonds cannot be traded on the market, of course.

I explained economics 101 to you and, for whatever weight it holds, Macroeconomics was one of my minor degrees in college and I was close to double majoring in it but... by all means wait for someone more proficient than I am at explaining it in a way you'll understand and accept.

I didn't take economics to a minor degree, but I did take Econ 101 and outperformed the instructor on several issues. Nevertheless, my Econ 101 class did provide me with enough of a BS detector to notice that you didn't learn very much from your studies.

Expenditure and revenues for the cherry picked period were LOCKED IN during the Obama Administration and the previous Congress. If we assume that Trump just refused to authorize the checks to pay the bills then the debt would have gone up even faster because we would still owe that money - the goods and services have already been delivered and need to be paid for. Even if Trump had got his new fairy-dust plan to cut taxes through on Jan 21 and the fairy-dust actually worked, you couldn't possibly see the improvement in the bottom line figures for months.

What MAY have changed is the way the figures are reported, I suppose. Congress forced the CBO to use invalid and misleading methodology last year in its economic modeling of effects of legislation and it has already been noticed that directives are going out from the Trump White House to report economic growth by first selecting the target growth (via political decision) and then cooking the books to match. Shades of Stalinist Russia and Maoist China. Sheesh.
edit on 23/2/2017 by rnaa because: (no reason given)

edit on 23/2/2017 by rnaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Zee Bookz

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: rnaa

Over spending (discretionary?) also adds to the total national debt.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Action - - Re-Action

One month isn't long enough.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

And that affects the argument put forth by the OP in what way exactly?

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
Action - - Re-Action

Ah, but it's long enough to bash him at every turn.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
a reply to: introvert

Zee Bookz

Indeed. Let's look at these two sources:

www.treasurydirect.gov...

If you take notice, there is almost a $60 billion dollar swing (if I am reading it correctly) between the two months, in regards to outstanding public debt.

The same source has this to say:

Why does the debt sometimes decrease?

The Public Debt Outstanding decreases when there are more redemptions of Treasury securities than there are issues.

So it would appear, and please correct me if I am wrong, that overall debt decreased in part because $60 billion worth of treasury securties were cashed in during that time period, decreasing the debt amount owed to the public.

link   

originally posted by: rnaa

And that affects the argument put forth by the OP in what way exactly?

LOL

I have no idea.

But you could have a look at the treasury statements.

It's all there.

link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

originally posted by: Annee
Action - - Re-Action

Ah, but it's long enough to bash him at every turn.

He's been campaigning for 20 years.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 09:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
a reply to: burdman30ott6

gotcha
since it is in a spreadsheet in a news article it must be true

if it were anti trump it would be very fake bigly news but this is pro trump so it must be troof.
im seeing how this works

the article explained nothing
you explained nothing

must be true

Yep.... This is pretty much the world we live in at the moment.

No context required. The facts are decided by feelings, not by logical investigation and conclusion.

There are strong cult like elements involved here. The human psyche is a strange thing, especially en masse.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 09:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom
a reply to: TinySickTears

if true then i like to know how its possible. what could he possibly have done?

Well Trump did save $2 Billion with just one tweet.

As long as no national tragedies occur, he has my pass to play golf at Mar-A-Lago all he wants so long as he gets # done.

so getting the cost of a jet down equals cutting national debt?
i thought it was just getting a cheaper jet

thats great he gets your pass. still though

its been said he saved 12 billion in a month

the other side is what has he cost in a month? not an outrageous question

Roughly 12 billion less than he saved

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   

I just want to go on the record as saying....

Wow.

He knew all about the NWO----of course he did! -And the minute he stepped up to the plate he began dismantling it.

And he'll continue doing it brick by brick.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Did I say cult like elements? I sure did...

One charismatic leader is the group's sole authority on truth; only this leader decides, or has the right to approve, all policies and practices.

Members are zealous, protective, and unquestioningly committed to the leader.

Members regard the leader's beliefs and practices as truth and law; the leader affirms and enforces this idea.

Questioning, doubt, and dissent are discouraged or punished.

The group's leadership dictates how members should think, act, and feel. Members require the leader's permission to change jobs, date, marry, or have children. The leader tells members where they can live and how to teach and discipline their children.

The group uses public humiliation or punishment, debilitating work, sleep deprivation, or other practices to create group-think and to suppress individualism and doubt.

Criticism or jokes about the leader or group are taken very seriously and likely punished.

The group is elitist, claiming special status for itself, its leaders, and its members.

The leader and members maintain theirs is the only path to truth and salvation.

Source

While it doesn't hit on every point, it sure does hit on quite a few

Makes ya think doesn't it?

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Maybe it has to do with the Stock Market gettin' all Bigly.Go Trump!

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Maybe true, maybe not. Either way, it wouldn't have been done by Trump. Budgets are written two years in advance, the Trump budgets will range from 2018 to 2022. Though, Trump will be able to add to the budget in 2017 by adjusting the Supplemental Spending Bill or whatever it's called, that passes in the middle of each year. 2018 will be his first chance at reducing the budget though.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 10:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

its been said he saved 12 billion in a month

the other side is what has he cost in a month? not an outrageous question

Debt doesn't equal the amount spent (unless you're Bush or Obama and do all of your spending against the nation's credit line). Debt is Income minus expenditures. Either the US government has brought in 12 Billion more than it spent or it spent 12 billion less than it brought in. Whichever it was, go team!

That would be a deficit. Debt is compiled deficits from past years. Reducing the debt by $12 billion implies we paid off $12 billion in debt.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Currently, it's $19.978T on the debt clock. I'm not seeing the $12B that the OP mentioned. The national debt is still going up.

TheBorg

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 11:33 PM
link   
It would look like most of that debt saved was from Intragovernmental Holdings (Medicare Trust Fund, the Social Security Trust Fund, and Federal Financing Bank securities), so basically he saved the majority of that money from cutting social programs.

Is that good?

posted on Feb, 24 2017 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Cutting out a lot of unnecessary spending, and eliminating a lot of unneeded positions, could have a real effect, for certain. Hopefully, we can get some solid numbers soon, to see if this is real.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join