It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Shed 14

page: 114
<< 111  112  113    115  116  117 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: kaelci
Kaelci!

So good to see you, my friend!

Agh, so your boy had to walk in the rain for a bit. LOLOLOL! Good.

Remember when we were kids and Mum told us to go out and play, any time it wasn't actually bucketing down? Back when kids were expected to get muddy and (BTW) have fun?

Kids getting wet or muddy? It helps to keep them healthy.

But please, try not to stay completely away for the coming three weeks or so. Drop in occasionally if you can. Ok?

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: JustMike

Hullo Mike!

*waves wildly!*

Yes, I will! Although I don't write much, anywhere, I remain an ATS Addict and can't help but peruse the boards every morning to see what's going on. So I won't be entirely absent... just, mostly.

As for my son - I have no problem with him running around in the mud and rain and being a boy, but I am ever aware of other people and their judgements... I personally love walking in the rain (as long as it's not the middle of winter and chilly), it feels so refreshing!

I was a kid during the time where you got told to go outside and play and don't come back inside until dinnertime. I remember sitting in my backyard staring at the outdoor temperature gauge, waiting for it to hit 28 Celsius because I knew the pool would actually be open then, and off I would go! Exploring, riding my bike, going to parks without a parent watching over me, rain or not. I had a hail bucket!! Hehe. Running around outside in the hail with my bucket, filling it up.

Memorieeeees.

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: pfishy
Totally, totally wow. I know exactly what you mean.

Hey, I sung for money in the hand for like a decade or so. On the stage, with a band. Screw it up and the audience lets you know pretty darned quick. I knew heaps of professional musos, singers, did gigs with several "stars", blah blah blah. I won't name drop. Pointless egotism IMO, because I am nowhere near that good. Reflected talent is like showing a photo of a Van Gogh in a mirror. Just saying I have a little knowledge of what's real talent and what frankly is not.

But I know this: Beau Dermott is so gifted it's almost scary, especially because she's just so laid back about it.

But then -- and honestly, based on the most talented people I've met -- they usually are that way. You meet them in person and off stage, when they can just be themselves, the best of the best really are like that. Sit them on seats in a bar and you'd never know how amazing they are. It's part of what makes them amazing.

Simon Cowell is no-one's fool. He can spot the ego-driven ones a mile off and he knows big ego does not equal big talent. He saw Beau for what she is: an extraordinarily gifted young woman who is going to blow people away for decades hence.

That's why I showed my students that vid. To get them thinking about two things. One: being talented does not mean you need to have a big head about it. You have a gift? It's a blessing. But meanwhile, be who you are. And two: anyone can be special. We should never, ever judge any book by its cover.

But Beau Dermott? She is totally "Wow!", because she is just being who she is. And I pray she lives to 100 and sings for us as long as she wants to.

Stars don't shine bright because of their ego. They shine because they're stars.

edit on 21/3/17 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Yep! Kaelci, when I was a little boy growing up in Oz, I remember my Mum telling my brother and I to "go out and play". If it was not pouring with rain and bro and I were watching TV, she'd pull the plug on it and tell us to go outside.

And we loved it.

Kids need to get dirty and muddy. It's great for our bodies and cuts down on allergy problems. Ok, it meant more washing for Mum, but I don't think she really minded. We had a "Pope" washing machine with the wringer on top (do you remember those?) and she just washed all our clothes then we did the boy thing and got them all dirty again.

I remember later when my sister was old enough to "go out and play" I used to sit her on our latest trolley made from bits of pram parts and send her down the hill in our enormous back yard so she wound up in the weeds (and loved every moment of it: girls can scream for 60 seconds non-stop while having fun, as you'd know!
), or we'd make mud pies for her dolls or whatever.

I learned that making mud pies was quite a cultured art. It's not just mud, it has to be prepared and served in exactly the right way. My sister knew all this. Apparently it's genetic.

(I hope you noticed I'm kidding. She learned etiquettely-correct mud pie techniques from older girls, obviously.)

She also grew up fit as a fiddle and with no allergies. You get kids muddy enough often enough, your average germ or whatever allergen has no chance.

Looking back, I guess Mum had her wearing plain-print cotton dresses because they were a lot easier to wash and iron than her more fancy, pleated ones. I never thought of it then, but she sure got them muddied! LOL!
And having ironed my daughter's pleated skirts and dresses, I can see why Mum had her wearing clothes she could clean up the easiest!

But yeah, we had a great time and didn't watch a whole lot of TV until "Skippy" came on before the evening news. That was compulsory, as far as I know.

edit on 21/3/17 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   
It sounds like it is time for me to reread! Yippee, like I needed an excuse. I’ve read it twice. The first time I couldn’t put it down (read back you will see me many mornings blaming you for my red eyes, lol.) But I think I read it so quickly and I wanted to know so fast; that I missed things. There were things I noticed or picked up on that I didn’t notice this first time. BUT, it may be a month or two. I am working on getting my bachelors and am taking the “compressed” 8 week classes. I am crazy busy but love it. I am taking: Cyber Warfare, Principles of MIS, and Sciences of Nutrition. Very interesting but very time consuming!

Hey sweetie!!! Hope you enjoy your new game! If you come up for air come see us in the bushes, LOL.

edit on 3/21/2017 by Martin75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Martin75
Oh, I remember you blaming me for your red eyes! I really loved that.
I'm sympathetic, but it still made me smile all day.

I think I've read it 14 times now. A few times were after I wrote "the end" and was going through and doing edits, which are not really like normal reading, but I've re-read it about 8 times since it was published.

That might sound egomaniacal, but the explanation is much simpler: I have to make sure it all stays fresh in my mind, you see. Because Book II needs to follow on. But here's the strange thing: I still notice little details that I had not really thought about before.

However, I cannot deny there is some ego in this. Or something deeper. There are parts that hit me so hard -- like the two "hilltop" scenes -- that I just go back and read them again and again. And yes, I cry a little. Because I don't know where they came from, really. But especially the second "hilltop" scene, right near the end: I read it and think, "What's happening here? What does this really mean?"

Because it's obviously more than just that setting and those words.

The hilltop will be revisited in Book II. I can tell you that much, because I've already written the scene. But as to who will be there and why, I'd rather keep that secret for now.

I just hope it will be as beautiful for you as it is for me.

And now, as to my surprise I see it's almost 2:30 am, I'd better log out and get some sleep. Don't really want to, but in the morning my wife will need my help. She won't get up until I do. It's just where her mind is now. But I need to be sure she gets up and has her breakfast.

Oh, my love... She can't get her own breakfast any more, you see. She just... she doesn't.

So, I need to go now.

Goodnight, everyone.

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Loved your philosophical discussion with Shep earlier. I probably would have added something had I have been here, now I don't seem to have the words.

Oh, my love... She can't get her own breakfast any more, you see. She just... she doesn't.

The above quote made me tear up and touched me the deepest. I often picture you and your lovely wife and the deep and beautiful relationship you have, the wonderful people that you are. From everything I have read in the past up until today, this much I know...you are beautiful people who have surely touched many lives.

Life is like a dance of joys and sorrows interwoven in time. So many moments and memories expressed by our being.

Your Shed family is here with open arms, warm smiles and hugs whenever you need us, we shall be here. We will always be here.

edit on 21-3-2017 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2017 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Heeeee's baaaack!!!!!!

My little buddy Alex and fellow ATS member. Give him a listen! And no, it's not heavy metal. LOL

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 02:03 AM
link   
*Walks in*

Looks like it's all quiet here.

*Walks out and hangs the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door*

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Hey Chooch, no one's home. LOL

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 02:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

No one here but us chickens!

On another note, I forgot about seeing this come by the other day. High priority Department of Defense "High & Wide" move heading towards Columbus, Ohio. If you are wondering, yes, those are indeed sealed fuel rods on the heavy duty flats towards the back and non of you guys heard or saw me say that.

No military train is complete without the standard Department of Defense caboose bringing up the rear.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 02:36 AM
link   
a reply to: gimmefootball400

Could you please find out why your pics look quite silly.

Or are those trains wearing high heels for an expected date with Thomas.

Please?

Otherwise I have to ask what skinny gauge you are using over there.

P

edit on 22/3/2017 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 02:49 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

These were actually stills taken off the video.

We use 4' 8 and 1/2" gauge here or standard gauge if you will.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Good morning my beautiful Shedigans!!!! I didn't get much sleep last night so I am dragging tail today!!! If you see me in the corner push me towards the coffee pot.

Just playing with words

They are but words, yet they move me
They are mere sounds, yet they burrow in my soul.
An emotion that buds like a spring flower
Unfolding for all to know.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   
The contest I got my Writer status on, I turned in my entry on the last day.
So, if I can do it, you can do it. However, I understand your reasoning and I whole-heartedly agree. Not something to rush, for as much as I'm sure all of us would love to read it.

I apologize for ducking out - I needed to head home and it was a busier evening then anticipated. I had fun roughhousing with one of the Shepherditos, then making a completely improvised braised pork shoulder. It turned out pretty well and is my lunch at work today.

The first part of this post was so sweet, Admin. I can only say thank you. Anything else would spoil the magic you gave me with your words.

As for me being naughty, you are correct there. However, I promise I will post the next episode in a few minutes, and let you all find out whether my author's icy heart-chip has killed off Gaalen.

Don't know if you're still around today (tonight?) kaelci. I have boys. Boys need to move. Like, really move. We home-school our children, and I've seen my son listen to an entire math lesson - and absorb it - while constantly bouncing on an exercise ball the whole time. It drives my wife nearly insane (temporarily of course) but she does it because they need it.

In my admittedly unstudied opinion, boys and girls should be taught separately until at least 12 years old, possibly 14. And for the boys, chairs and desks should be optional and lightly used when necessary. Additionally, I think all kids, especially at younger ages, should spend much more time learning outside - Observing, interacting, touching, feeling, smelling. It's how they learn, by sensory exploration. I heard a quote from a German elementary school (I believe) that followed that philosophy. Basically translated to English, it said "There's not such thing as bad weather; only bad clothes." Get them outside as much as they will tolerate and as long as its not dangerous.

Some might consider me extreme, though.

I can only echo Night Star's sentiments, Mike, that this post touched me deeply. I have seen what it takes to care for a loved one as you do - at least, as I imagine you do based on what you've shared. But - and please forgive me if this is presumptuous - I suspect those of us who have not been in your situation see it as a beautiful and noble sacrifice. And yet I have a feeling, though, from the small glimpses of your heart you've shown here, that for you it is not a sacrifice, nor a solemn duty. It just is. It is what we do when we love someone.

I admit to a certain anxiety over my behavior should I ever find myself in a similar situation - on either side. I don't know that I would handle either role with the grace you seem to.

This ^^^^^, yes. Overslept by 45 minutes this morning after a late night finishing up the first season of "Colony" on Nerdflix. SO sleepy this morning and I have to try to code heads-down today. Ugh. MOAR CAFFEINE STAT!

And, lovely word play, Admin.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Link to all my story posts in Sheds 11, 12 and 13
(Shed 14) Page 6 - The Cipher
(Shed 14) Page 20 - Kaena Returns
(Shed 14) Page 29 - As Good as a Death Sentence
(Shed 14) Page 32 - A Vow by the Lake
(Shed 14) Page 38 - A Bottle of Ink
(Shed 14) Page 41 - Kaena's Mistake
(Shed 14) Page 54 - A Command Performance
(Shed 14) Page 55 - A Cautious Offer
(Shed 14) Page 59 - The Water Drummer
(Shed 14) Page 65 - Regret
(Shed 14) Page 93 - A Limit of the Gift
(Shed 14) Page 93 - The Ambassador
(Shed 14) Page 98 - The Seeress's Secret, part 1
(Shed 14) Page 101 - The Seeress's Secret, part 2
(Shed 14) Page 109 - The Seeress's Secret, part 3
(Shed 14) Page 113 - What Must Be Borne

Today's episode: A Woman of Unspeakable Power

“How dare you! I want you to die!

“Seeress…remember…who…you are!” he gasped. She stood up off the bed and somehow lifted him off the floor.

“I hate you! Die! DIE!” Colorful spots swam in grayness at the edges of his vision, and it closed in. The room roared in his ears, the crashing thunder of an ocean wave. He was out of time.

Her power infused everything, he could feel it, pulsing from her, pulsing through him. So vast…

Siere Meron! Remember! You…ARE…SIERE!

Light flooded into his vision, and his body burned from the inside out. The bands had released. Dazed, he found himself on his back on the floor, broken wood around him and the room whirling, pain in his back. Unsteadily, he rose, shedding splinters from his clothes, to find Siere attempting to pick herself up off the floor, weeping. He touched the side of his abdomen and felt wetness. He found the center of pain and pulled out a sharp stake from the smashed table that was as long as his hand. Cautiously he made his way over to her and hesitantly touched her shoulder. She flinched, but when she did not attack, he knelt next to her, placing one arm around her shoulders and the other under her elbow to try to help her up.

“Seeress…” he said, as she turned to him. He caught her eyes. The woman of unspeakable power was gone, and in those eyes Gaalen saw a hopeless, terrified girl. He lifted her slender body up to the bed. As he gently laid her down and started to straighten up, she clutched at his tunic and wept uncontrollably. “Don’t leave me!” she wailed, sobbing. He hesitated, unsure what to do at first, but after a moment he sat on the bed next to her, and she pressed into him, still gripping his shirt. The sobs eventually slowed, then stopped, and she seemed to fall into a deep, still sleep, her head on his chest.

He found himself, nearly two hours later, humming a Giladian lullaby over and over again, dozing from time to time himself, as she slept with her head on his chest. The sun was waning, casting long shadows and bathing the room with golden light as dust motes lazily floated in the warm air.

Siere started, and pushed up slowly from his chest. Once again, her face was palely exquisite, the bruises, cuts and swelling gone. There was weariness there, but the rage and terror from before were gone, and the woman was back, guarded and mysterious.

“How do you feel?”

“I…How long have I slept?”

“About two hours. I expected you to rest longer with…what you went through.”

She sat up next to him, looking around the room and eyeing the smashed table and chairs. For a time, they sat together quietly, then Gaalen spoke.

“Seeress?”

“Yes, Lord Braeghe?”

“Surely one of your Temple brethren would have been better suited for this task, yet, you chose me.”

Siere sighed quietly. “I don’t like you, Lord Braeghe, I think you know that. You are rigid, cold, and infuriating in many ways, and there is much about you I disapprove of. However,” she continued softly, choosing her words carefully, “I chose you because I do believe you are a man of honor. I knew despite your reservations, you would do the duty I asked of you. And, to be honest, of all the men in the room, you were the only one I could be reasonably certain would be able to knock me out without killing me.” She paused. “And now I must place one more burden on you,” she said, still staring at the broken furniture.

Softly, he said, “I am at your service, my Lady.”

She turned to him, their faces close. Gaalen’s heart skipped, then raced, and his stomach tightened. He ignored it. She did just say she didn’t like him. And yet, as he looked at her, Siere hesitated, her lips slightly apart. Time slowed and the sounds of the room faded until he could only hear her breathing. She looked away, and the moment was gone.

“No one can know what went on in this room.”

Gaalen considered a moment. “As you wish, Seeress.”

“Not even Lady Commander Milaener, Lord Braeghe.”

Gaalen hesitated. He did not willingly hide anything from Kaena. “May I ask why, Seeress?”

She nodded lightly. “I apologize if this sounds selfish, but it is the best I can offer. Healing in this manner comes at great personal cost. I am willing to pay that price, even up to my life if Aomm wills it, but there is a limit to the capability. I trust you remember the performer from last night. Had I Taken his wounds, I would have died before I could Expel them. I am willing to do that if necessary, but Aomm has not released me from my service yet. Many will not understand that distinction.”

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Hello everyone!
A good day to all!
Good story as usual Shep!

While I'm at it i thought I'd give a shameless plug for my story in the current contest.
I haven't mentioned it since I entered it and thought this might be a good time to promote it again in case someone hasn't read it.
I don't think I'll win.
however I do feel like I win whenever anyone reads my writing.
So it all works out good for me.

here is the link to my story:
Passing Through

No work for me today.
that usually means I'll be extra busy. lol
I'll see you all later.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: PrairieShepherd
Shep!!! Wonderful story and so glad that Gaalen survived!!!! Whew!!!
Just for you as it sounds like you had a wonderfully busy night last night. Was Colony worth finishing? I started and got about 3 episodes in and got distracted, LOL

a reply to: Errollorre
Errollorre I will definitely head over and give it a read (might be this evening). Not sure how I missed this! Hope you enjoy your day off!!

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Thanks for the dynamically expanding coffee!

Yes, Gaalen survived, so did Siere. There's a lot of meat in this scene, a lot of stuff that I've tried to put under the covers, so to speak.

I liked Colony a lot - but I'm a sucker for a couple things in TV: monsters, alien invasion/alien apocalypse type stuff, and a good resistance/rebellion. I thought it was fairly well done - I liked the way they did it - you have no clue what happened but you can tell something's really off - everyone riding bikes, people getting excited over stuff we take for granted, etc.
I was disappointed that I have to wait for season 2 to come to Netflix, however. Oh well, I'm patient.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Errollorre

Hi Tom! Have fun on your extra-busy day off...

Hey everybody, read Tom's story! It's good, I promise you! When you read it, star and flag it too.

new topics

top topics

<< 111  112  113    115  116  117 >>

join