It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia high school banned “To Kill a Mockingbird” “Adventures of Huckleberry Finn”

page: 31
<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Please define Liberal.

Let's see how close you get to who I actually am.

Now explain what you mean in detail in relation to this subject.

Quit acting stupid. You asked a question and he answered it. Now you are moving the goal post.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Martin75

Please define Liberal.

Quit acting stupid. You asked a question and he answered it. Now you are moving the goal post.

To be fair, she's not "acting" stupid.

-Chris

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   

But, I'm pretty sure my kid will survive without reading Huck Finn.

He will

I'm not sure if the reverence for and dedication to using Huckleberry Finn in schools is because it's great literature - or because it makes certain people feel good

Good writing is good writing. End of discussion on that - and everybody seems to agree that this is a classic. There are a lot of classics, and plenty of examples of good writing - and I'm sure that most come with a moral - and also some moralizing. If a class can only get through so many books during a school year, I have to wonder why for so many years America has insisted on teaching these two books

I don't actually wonder, but - you know :-)

Nothing is sacred - not even our favorite literature. It doesn't need to be banned - they can just choose to use something else. It's pretty simple

edit on 12/7/2016 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

Wow

I guess we know how you really feel

Tell me, what part of her argument bothers you the most?

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis
She asked a question...he answered it.
But that wasn't enough. She responded wanting another answer...what part of me asking her to not move the goal post do you have a problem with.

ETA: Feel about what?!?!

edit on 12/7/2016 by Martin75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   

a reply to: Spiramirabilis
But that wasn't enough. She responded wanting another answer...what part of me asking her to not move the goal post do you have a problem with.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

Thank you for putting the important parts in bold - it really helps the stupid people understand what you're trying to say

Since you're not stupid, I just assumed you would understand

?!?!?!?!?

:-)

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Please define Liberal.

If you're satisfied with the answer - - then you can just sit back and wait until I get a REAL answer.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Please define Liberal.

If you're satisfied with the answer - - then you can just sit back and wait until I get a REAL answer.

Perfect!!!

You determine what my kids should read and what answers I make are "real"..

That sounds about right for a know-it-all liberal.

Please define "real"
I'm kidding, please don't...
I would never seek the words of someone whose sensibilities are too delicate to read Huckleberry Finn to their teenage children…

-Chris

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis

But, I'm pretty sure my kid will survive without reading Huck Finn.

He will

I'm not sure if the reverence for and dedication to using Huckleberry Finn in schools is because it's great literature - or because it makes certain people feel good

Good writing is good writing. End of discussion on that - and everybody seems to agree that this is a classic. There are a lot of classics, and plenty of examples of good writing - and I'm sure that most come with a moral - and also some moralizing. If a class can only get through so many books during a school year, I have to wonder why for so many years America has insisted on teaching these two books

Yeah, exactly.

I've lived a long time. I've been through many personal incarnations (the angry years, the judgmental years, the anti-establishment years, etc).

Out of all that - - what I've learned is - - be nice to people. There are millions of great books in the world. My kid doesn't need what's in Huck Finn TAUGHT to him in school.

I have a very clear vision of what I'm doing.

edit on 7-12-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Point: First off since it's been a bunch of pages since I last posted in this thread, as a reminder I'm not for banning of books in school, but my point here is that JUST because a book is banned at school doesn't mean they can't seek said book out on their own time and read it themselves. Hell use a bit of reverse psychology on them and hype it up as "that book the adults don't want you to read!" and you can have the kids falling over themselves to read it.

Just wanted to jump in and add some perspective.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Christosterone

Please define Liberal.

Perfect!!!

Please define "real"
I would never seek the words of someone whose sensibilities are too delicate to read Huckleberry Finn to their teenage children…

-Chris

You keep calling me a Liberal.

What does that mean?

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

To be honest, now that I think about it, I don't believe I ever read Huck Finn - in school or otherwise.

I consider myself a well-read person in spite of it, because I have read LOTS of other books. I also managed to learn all about racism and our past.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Point: First off since it's been a bunch of pages since I last posted in this thread, as a reminder I'm not for banning of books in school, but my point here is that JUST because a book is banned at school doesn't mean they can't seek said book out on their own time and read it themselves. Hell use a bit of reverse psychology on them and hype it up as "that book the adults don't want you to read!" and you can have the kids falling over themselves to read it.

I agree.

But, I still don't understand why I'd want my kid to read this book.

It is not relevant to his current life.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Please define Liberal.

Perfect!!!

Please define "real"

-Chris

What does that mean?

Didn't you know? It's their way of insulting you. It means they think you are a stupid know-it-all.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: Krazysh0t

To be honest, now that I think about it, I don't believe I ever read Huck Finn - in school or otherwise.

I consider myself a well-read person in spite of it, because I have read LOTS of other books. I also managed to learn all about racism and our past.

I grew up in an all white Christian neighborhood.

I managed to learn about racism too and all the other stuff in the book - - without reading Huck Finn.

I did read it as an adult - - or at least parts of it. But, that was a long time ago.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

Please define Liberal.

Perfect!!!

Please define "real"

-Chris

What does that mean?

Didn't you know? It's their way of insulting you. It means they think you are a stupid know-it-all.

Of course I know

Just wanna hear em spell it out.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

You should read it though. It's a good book. Plus its one of the first books to show the hypocrisy of racism by showing a white boy being friends with a black guy written in a time when those things didn't really happen. Just because Finn calls him n***** Jim doesn't mean it was meant to be offensive. That's just how he talked. Mark Twain is one of the first American liberal authors to push people's buttons about traditional beliefs. I have a lot of respect for that man and his literary works.

Also I think Huck Finn is a better teaching tool than Tom Sawyer which more comes off to me as just a fluff book about a kid being bad and getting away with it. To me, calling Huck Finn offensive is missing the point and is the textbook definition of people not getting satire that supports their argument (think a liberal thinking the Colbert report was serious reporting).

PS: Can I suggest an alternative book to read? A Modest Proposal You know the book that tells you how to cook children?
edit on 7-12-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I agree.

But, I still don't understand why I'd want my kid to read this book.

It is not relevant to his current life.

What's wrong with just celebrating good literature?

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   

I read it when I was about 14. It annoyed me. I could get into why, but basically I don't like when I can see the man behind the curtain so much

I also couldn't understand why well into the 20th century I needed to hear a story written in 1884 about how a white boy finds his soul and learns there's nothing wrong with black people after all - and that they're just like humans

I understand why this book is causing such a ruckus. I also understand why people defend it. It's important - and unimportant at the same time

I do think it's important that we keep fighting about it though :-)

edit on 12/7/2016 by Spiramirabilis because: oops

top topics

<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join