It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia high school banned “To Kill a Mockingbird” “Adventures of Huckleberry Finn”

page: 34
<< 31  32  33    35 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
a reply to: Annee
but at the time that these books were written, wasn't the language appropriately used?
so, would kind of be a lesson of history wouldn't it?

In the case of Huck Finn, it's also a sort of indicator of Huck's dawning realization that both he and the society he lives in is totally wrong about N-word Jim. Although it takes him the entire book to finally make that journey.

Although I notice no one really whines about Injun Joe in Tom Sawyer.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

but at the time that these books were written, wasn't the language appropriately used?
so, would kind of be a lesson of history wouldn't it?

In the case of Huck Finn, it's also a sort of indicator of Huck's dawning realization that both he and the society he lives in is totally wrong about N-word Jim. Although it takes him the entire book to finally make that journey.

Although I notice no one really whines about Injun Joe in Tom Sawyer.

Oh yeah.

Both Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn - - - in modified children's versions - - - Injun Joe is changed to Indian Joe and "N" word is changed to Slave.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Because we all know rewriting history is an excellent way to learn from it /end sarcasm

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Martin75
Because we all know rewriting history is an excellent way to learn from it /end sarcasm

I'm not narrow minded in thinking One book out of millions is gonna deprive my brain if I don't read it.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   

What do you think would happen to kids of today and how they speak - - - if they were placed on a playground in the 50s?

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   

lol... I have some very old religious booklets together they are called something like the children's library... these have the n word in them also, and like I said, they are religious material.

Ever read a McGuffey reader?

Anyway, I had a kids book from the Hardy Boy series. I tossed that too.

Once something is in your head - - its IN THERE. Not stuff I want my kid to have in his head.

This stuff is going to come along in real life. We'll deal with it when it does.

The idea I'm depriving my kid - - and sheltering him - - by not forcing this kind of book on him is ludicrous.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Well it seems the school district disagrees. If it is in the lesson plans, it will be taught. As it should be.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Martin75
Well it seems the school district disagrees. If it is in the lesson plans, it will be taught. As it should be.

Won't be my school.

They will provide alternatives.

You want your kid reading it - - Go for it!

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
I don't support home school.

Then you need to suck it up when it comes to the school curriculum.

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

No I don't.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Granted, not knowing the state of your health, nor what estimated longevity passed on to you via genetics is, but given the age you've alluded to...these's a moderate chance you (half of the "we") may not even be around to "deal with it." Whatever an "it" may be, what then? Who will be providing the same sheltered life for him? Perhaps you're not even giving him as much credit as he may deserve.

There are many things children come face to face with these days, hearing and seeing things that they and they ALONE (literally and figuratively) will have to choose to accept or not, act on or not. It will be much harder for him if his "touchstone" is not around anymore to "guide" him over inevitable bumps in the road he has never heard of, seen or faced alone and ends up with someone who doesn't see eye to eye with your mindset, let alone support it. That kind of shock can be toxic to a sensitive, perhaps hidden, nature. So, again, what then?

Have you ever asked for input from professionals whom you've detailed your brand of teaching ethics, skills and life coaching to? I'd think you'd want to if only for any applause and/or support that may come your way.

At any rate...good luck with your endeavours, and may you be well appreciated for all I can imagine you endure in an effort to scribe all your utopianist paradigms deeply into his mind.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 02:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Rubicon3

His mother and/or his grampa. (Grampa is only 3 years older then mom)

Hyperbole "sheltered life" because I don't want him forced by his school to read ONE specific book.

There are millions of books. I'm not the one who needs to open their mind.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 03:02 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Underground intellectuals with no holds bar truth.

I can live with that. It makes the rest of us free while most are slaved in mind.

A plural free world is unatainable if emotion governs its own development. Unless people will to overcome and learn, freedom and truth are pearls thrown to swine as we have started to say even here.

I say, let some or all others lay down and die. I will not stop striving and others will not.

The way I see it, only true believers remain.

We will cary the weight. The spirit they once had we will set to life within us. The fewer the stronger.

A non-diluted existance. A true experience.

That is reserved for some, not all.

Ban away.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   

No I don't.

Throw a tantrum then, it is not going to change.

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   

a reply to: Rubicon3

There are millions of books. I'm not the one who needs to open their mind.

Thank god we have progressives like u to tell us what is appropriate when it comes to "open [our] mind"...

Annee,

Can you please come up with a list of appropriate books for my child to read…???
Please tell me the sacrosanct literature for children and what is too risqué...

We, the unwashed knaves, require liberal wisdom to discern what is and is not "accepted" literature..

Looking forward to your list...

Sidenote: I love Led Zeppelin but am scared it will make my child want to build a staircase to the sky...please advise!!!

-Chris

posted on Dec, 10 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

No I don't.

Yes you do.

It seems the majority here and in real life think your ilk are whinging cry-babies.

YOU are a MINOIRTY on this issue.

Forcing YOUR view on the MAJORITY will just alienate your liberal group further.

That is why Trump won. It is because of people like you. Your forced your liberal views to far and to fast and now they are coming back to bite you.

Maybe if people like you stopped being cry-babies and being triggered over silly words in classic books and focused on REAL issues you might get more support in life.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Banning is never a good thing, that's just ignoring the subject like inviting an elephant in your room. Or the room. I think the problem is not enough white people are trying to offer explanations to black people about the slavery history. And that is why their women find it difficult to digest.

posted on Dec, 18 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

If it is so important then the parents can make their children read the books. You aren't going to get kicked out of school for carrying the book with you and reading it on your own. This school is just removing it from it's curriculum, and I can see no problem with that. There are far better books that can replace it, even from Twain's own library.

Here's an idea for parents worried about this nonsense. Treat school exactly like what it is, daycare. If you want your kids to learn, spend time with them and get them involved in something other than the required curriculum. As a matter of fact, pull them out of school and homeschool them, teach them properly if it is such a big deal.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 08:02 PM
link   
its embarassing i never read either and so was searching

for an ebook and this at link came up!

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: pious

Both are wonderful works of literature that are prime examples of the finest in American Literature.

Enjoy. To Kill a Mockingbird is sometimes disturbing reading, but a clear message is there for anyone who cares to see it. The same can be said for Huckleberry Finn.

top topics

<< 31  32  33    35 >>

join