It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia high school banned “To Kill a Mockingbird” “Adventures of Huckleberry Finn”

page: 28
<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join
share:
(post by Christosterone removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Christosterone
I'm a Scorpio...

Me too. We would kill each other.

Me too.

Green Eyed and Red Haired.

(post by Annee removed for a manners violation)

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

But you refuse to answer a simple yes and no question. What can I say?

You didn't ask a yes or no question

:-)

It is up for discussion, but in the meantime the book has been banned with no discussion whatsoever.

Maybe you and I understand the meaning of the word banned differently

They already have removed them.

Temporarily. Yes

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: Christosterone
Annee, please don't let your children see this....

This should help to not offend their delicate liberal sensibilities...

Can you be any more ridiculous?

I'm not the one believes huckleberry freaking fin should be censored for high schoolers!!

-Chris

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   
nm

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   
originally posted by: Spiramirabilis

You didn't ask a yes or no question

In grammar, the question: "Do you or do you not support the banning of books?" is a yes or no question, formally known as a polar question. I dare you to explain what other type of question it is.

Maybe you and I understand the meaning of the word banned differently

And maybe you understand it wrongly and I understand it correctly, or vice versa. What constitutes a banned book in your opinion?

Temporarily. Yes

A temporary ban is still a ban. There is no rule stipulating that something must be banned forever.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Wanna marry Augustus, DBCowboy and I?

2 scorpios and an Aries so far...

-Chris

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   

In grammar, the question: "Do you or do you not support the banning of books?" is a yes or no question, formally known as a polar question. I dare you to explain what other type of question it is.

A polar question?

Whatever...that was ages ago. I already told you - I've said throughout this thread how I feel about it. If you don't have a feel for where I stand by now, I'm not going to do a little poodle dance just for you

Your question has a definite are you with us or against us quality to it anyway. Since you're not interested in nuance - I can guess why you ask

And maybe you understand it wrongly and I understand it correctly, or vice versa. What constitutes a banned book in your opinion?

As far as this subject goes - concerning this school? A book that would be illegal to own. Illegal - anywhere, at any time, by anyone. Banned. Not just unavailable at a specific school for an undetermined amount of time

A temporary ban is still a ban. There is no rule stipulating that something must be banned forever.

You mean like chewing gum in class? Oh, dear - life can be so hard. Yeah - you guys are pretty worked up over this - aren't you?

:-)

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheAlleghenyGentleman

Would you modify Mozart? Would you modify the Ancient Greek wing at the MET?

I don't see the comparison.

However, RAP and other music with explicit words is already modified for radio play.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

A Virginia high school has banned “To Kill a Mockingbird” and “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” because they use racial slurs.

The move comes after the mother of a biracial student at a Virginia school complained about the use of the n-word in the literature classics.

“I keep hearing, ‘this is a classic, this is a classic,’” said Rothstein-Williams, the white mother. “I understand this is a literature classic but at some point, I feel the children will not or do not truly get the classic part, the literature part – which I’m not disputing this is great literature. But there are so many racial slurs in there and offensive wording that you can’t get past that.”

iotwreport.com...

I fear for history. I fear for literature. For free expression.

History will be whitewashed better than the fence Tom Sawyer worked on. (to understand the reference, read the book)

You cannot censor/ban something just because you find it offensive.

I don't know how clear I can make it.

No need to worry about history, they're doing a great job of re-writing it for you.

I've always wondered just how often they reset history.

If you've discovered the correct formula to where you can disseminate new information regarding a previous event (new history) at the right time to new generations as old ones die off, you could really control much of the "educated" or rather "first world" citizens. Even more-so now with so many things becoming digitized.

Just seeing differences between a King James Bible and a Geneva Bible are quite interesting. (Different subject and debatable as history but I digress.)

I will keep saying it, even those of us who frequent here and are "semi-aware" that something is definitely afoot.
I don't believe any of us will be able to truly comprehend just to what depths things will continue to go. America (and large swaths of first world countries) are being walked right into martial law and authoritative dictatorships, almost hand in hand. So many people have come to comprehend liberty and freedom as the ability to have a cell phone, get on facebook, have a job, have a place to live.

It will be fascinating as you can see the glass tilting a little but rather to see if it ever really tips and ho-hum citizens begin to see through it. This sort of censorship I would HOPE..... would begin to open their eyes just a little....

People are asking for Godlike powers in a world that doesn't believe in God.

Half of the beauty of having God is that you have the freedom of will to do what you want.

We are quickly becoming a world where you can only do what others (said: Majority) allow you to do. The tyranny of the majority has occurred and the majority has already given it's power to hands higher than theirs.

I'm buckled up for the next 20 years. Especially with a soon to be 3 year old.

Good luck.

P.S.
-People want to ban words they find offensive, at what point do thoughts become punishable?
edit on 6-12-2016 by WhoWhatWhenWhere2420 because: Oops.

edit on 6-12-2016 by WhoWhatWhenWhere2420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

The comparison is that they are all recognized as art. The fact you don't see the comparison is obviously the problem. The fact that you just compared radio rap to Mozart or huckleberry Finn is outlandish. This is where the problem lies. I guess comparing Kanye to twain is a logical comparison in your mind.

How is radio rap an approiate comparison to one of Americas greatest authors in terms of education and censorship?

Why do you not appreciate art in its true form?

Why does the thought of teaching the youth of today a false narrative of US history and its flaws an acceptable form education when history has repeatly shown us that if we are not open to our mistakes and atrocities we are doomed to repeat it?

As I have said before I have met Bryan Steven many times and know many people who work at EJI.

Would you be against taking high school kids to this soon to be Alabama memorial which deals with the most heinous of Americas past?

eji.org...

If no, then why censor huckleberry Finn and its history?

Please answer all questions.

Thank you.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

How is radio rap an approiate comparison to one of Americas greatest authors in terms of education and censorship?

How is it not?

Especially since the N word is used in both examples

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

I'm sorry but that is a weak argument. They do not teach rap or the history of, its lyrics and meanings in schools across the US. Rap is not in the average high school curriculum and its lyrical significance is different to that of the written words of Twain.

If this discussion in your mind is purely based on the "n" word then that is extremely short sighted as well.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 08:19 PM
link   

The comparison is that they are all recognized as art.

Did Mozart put graphic words to his music?

I missed that.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

How is it not?

Especially since the N word is used in both examples

Interesting when they're wrong.

Yet, continue to argue.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: WhoWhatWhenWhere2420

P.S.
-People want to ban words they find offensive, at what point do thoughts become punishable?

Soon, apparently.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   

So I take it then you won't try to tackle any of the questions I posed to you?

I believe the last two questions I asked you are directly related to the "n" word.

I would appreciate an answer and some decorum please.

Thanks in advance.
edit on 6-12-2016 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-12-2016 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Christosterone

of course.
the pmrc

frank zappa went up and spoke and shut the down. it was great

little fact about the music label #

zappas album jazz from hell was slapped with an offensive sticker....the album was instrumental

shows how stupid

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   

So I take it then you won't try to tackle any of the questions I posed to you?

I believe the last two questions I asked you are directly related to the "n" word.

I would appreciate an answer and some decorum please.

Thanks in advance.

Whatever other questions you have, I'm sure they've already been answered, at least once, in this thread.

I have nothing more to say.

new topics

top topics

<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join